REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Driver 8 was given serious contemplation at the last pick. I love playing that opening guitar riff.
    Please use that 2nd pick i sent you if it swings back to me
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Mike Mills is REM's secret weapon - how many bands have an ace like him up their sleeves? It's like having Matt Cain as the number 3 guy in your rotation. I can't even quantify how often some bass lick or keyboard riff or background vocal of his elevates a very good REM song to a classic. I absolutely love the guy.
      2.06 Texarkana (Out of Time)
      That's what I'm talking about! Great tune.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        One of the songs that I was considering def. won't make it back to me because I know how much Lucky loves it. But I figured I'd cut him a break since I victimized him so much in the Festival draft.
        Screw him again, especially since i think he and I are on different REM wavelengths
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Driver 8 was given serious contemplation at the last pick. I love playing that opening guitar riff.
          Yeah, I was coin-flipping between Driver 8 and Pretty Persuasion at 2.01. You can't lose in this draft!
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Yeah, I was coin-flipping between Driver 8 and Pretty Persuasion at 2.01. You can't lose in this draft!
            I always thought of those two as riffs off the same theme

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              "Nightswimming" into "Find the River" is almost one cohesive song for me. I was hoping to get both of them.
              Rolling Stone's original review of Automatic was essentially "OMG OMG Nightswimming and Find the River!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

For me as well, it was the 2nd to last one standing.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  Rolling Stone's original review of Automatic was essentially "OMG OMG Nightswimming and Find the River!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
                  Did "OMG" even exist in 1992?

Comment

That's why I said "essentially!"
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I always thought of [Driver 8 and Pretty Persuasion] as riffs off the same theme
                      Ya know, I ultimately went with Pretty Persuasion because of - you guessed it - the Mike Mills background vocal. I always loved how, rather than a straight harmony, they sing around each other, just barely out of sync - it's a great effect. Little touches like that are why I love REM.

Comment

tap, tap, tap...

paging lucky. paging mr. lucky. mr. lucky to the sports bar please.
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          Does that mean Find the River wasn't a nice pick? :-P
                          Great pick, true first rounder, but I thought I had already gushed over it. If not, consider this my highest praise. I liked the video, too.

Super pick with "Talk About The Passion"...one of my Top Ten. Most of my top ten are gone now, but there is so much good stuff left.

I like the Texarkana pick, since it is a great song and a pretty good town, mentioned in many songs over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                            tap, tap, tap...

paging lucky. paging mr. lucky. mr. lucky to the sports bar please.
                            Sorry, taking care of some important business there.

Hard to find a good vid for Ignoreland, but the one from Athens is decent.

So, let's see how you hose me with your front-wheel picks.

IGNORELAND

These bastards stole their power from the victims of the Us v. Them years,
                            Wrecking all things virtuous and true
                            The undermining social democratic downhill slide into abysmal
                            Lost lamb off the precipice into the trickle down runoff pool
                            They hypnotised the summer, 1979
                            Marched into the capital brooding duplicitous, wicked and able, media-ready,
                            Heartless, and labeled. Super US citizen, super achiever,
                            Mega ultra power dosing. Relax
                            Defense, defense, defense, defense. Yeah, yeah, yeah
                            Yeah, yeah, yeah, ignoreland. Yeah, yeah, yeah, ignoreland
                            Yeah, yeah, yeah

The information nation took their clues from all the sound-bite gluttons
                            1980, 84, 88, 92 too, too
                            How to be what you can be, jump jam junking your energies
                            How to walk in dignity with throw up on your shoes
                            They amplified the autumn, 1979
                            Calculate the capital, up the republic my skinny ass
                            TV tells a million lies. The paper's terrified to report
                            Anything that isn't handed on a presidential spoon,
                            I'm just profoundly frustrated by all this. So, fuck you, man (fuck 'em)
                            If they weren't there we would have created them. Maybe, it's true,
                            But I'm resentful all the same. Someone's got to take the blame
                            I know that this is vitriol. No solution, spleen-venting,
                            But I feel better having screamed. Don't you?
                            They desecrated winter, 1979
                            Capital collateral. Brooding duplicitous, wicked and able, media-ready,
                            Heartless, and labeled. Super US citizen, super achiever,
                            Mega ultra power dosing. Relax
                            Defense, defense, defense, defense. Yeah, yeah, yeah
                            Yeah, yeah, yeah, ignoreland. Yeah, yeah, yeah
                            I did not do the revolution
                            Thank you
                            Last edited by ; 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                              Sorry, taking care of some important business there.

Hard to find a good vid for Ignoreland, but the one from Athens is decent.

So, let's see how you hose me with your front-wheel picks.
                              Ignoreland was one of my mid round targets. Such a powerful song. Now that you've picked it, I seem to remember you saying you liked I before.

I've been listening to REM a lot lately, what with the Festival Draft now this ... such a stark contrast between REM and some other bands from that era and politically docile modern bands ... and in real terms, things are a lot worse today than in the 70's and 80's. It's like the population has just given up an accepted their roles as hi-tech serfs.

Comment

Swan Swan H was the 3rd of the 4 songs I was contemplating. I even had it typed in.

This is really hard ... so many quality songs, but it's not easy to separate them.

Comment

Working...
                                X