Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigJonEmpire

Hey all,

It's with an incredibly sad heart that I have to let everyone know that Jon passed away yesterday. I think the older members of the site are more familiar with Jon. He is actually responsible for me making my way over to this site over 20 years ago. I met him at Tower Records and we became fast friends as fans of the Yankees living in Boston. He brought me into a long running local fantasy league that is still going and we are all feeling his loss today. He was one of the nicest, kindest guys you'd ever meet. In addition to his love of the Yankees and baseball, he was a big fan of comics and a big music lover. He was always happy and laughing, even when his health wasn't so great, which was frequent in these last few years. Anyway, I thought there would be people on here that would want to know.

RIP my friend, you will be missed.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Sad news. Years ago, he reached out to me and asked me to write a fantasy column for his website because he enjoyed my blog (the gig was short-lived, but fun). Super nice guy. He will be missed.

Comment

Terribly sad indeed...he was a truly nice man, and he will be missed.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Didn't know him personally, nor connected much on the site, but I knew of him through RJ. No matter what it's sad to lose an RJr, though I suspect it will happen more often as we (I) get older--Heck we lost one of our close friends recently from ASU (Angelo State University) the birthplace of Boxscore, Byron and pretty much RJ itself.

RIP BJE
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Sad news indeed. Condolences to those who knew him.
          Thanks for letting us know Bucky.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Very sad to hear. Jon seemed like a great guy. ugh.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Sorry to hear this. My condolences to those who knew him. RIP BigJonEmpire.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

damn....just saw this now .

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Hey all,

It's with an incredibly sad heart that I have to let everyone know that Jon passed away yesterday. I think the older members of the site are more familiar with Jon. He is actually responsible for me making my way over to this site over 20 years ago. I met him at Tower Records and we became fast friends as fans of the Yankees living in Boston. He brought me into a long running local fantasy league that is still going and we are all feeling his loss today. He was one of the nicest, kindest guys you'd ever meet. In addition to his love of the Yankees and baseball, he was a big fan of comics and a big music lover. He was always happy and laughing, even when his health wasn't so great, which was frequent in these last few years. Anyway, I thought there would be people on here that would want to know.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Rest in peace, Jon.
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Thanks fellas. Appreciate you all taking a moment to say something. It still doesn’t seem real, I still think I can pick up the phone and call him. He was a great friend and an amazing sound board for my crazy baseball thoughts.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

RIP to Jon. I know him as a long time name here. He will be missed.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        Hey all,

Losing friends is awful.

I only knew him from his posting. He sounds like a real life good guy. I am sorry for your loss.

Comment

I liked Jon a lot…he always came across as a tremendously good guy. I wish we had connected more…our birthdays are a few days apart and we both had a passion for comic books, rap music and of course baseball. Sometime we don’t realize how fleeting time is and we miss out on opportunities to reach out to people. I’m glad I at least knew of him, even just a little bit via RJ and Facebook…and I am very sad for those who knew him well because I know they will miss his presence, terribly.

2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Oh damn, that's awful. He was young, too. Did he have any children?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Oh damn, that's awful. He was young, too. Did he have any children?
                              He did not have any children. He certainly was too young to go.

Thanks again to everyone for paying your respects here.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X