Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement

So I retire tomorrow. After 35+ years going into a cubicle/office, it's kind of surreal that I won't have to do that anymore.
    Anyone have any recommendations? I'm planning on taking a couple of months to get some perspective before deciding on anything. There's a pretty active volunteer network in my community so will likely invest some time with one or two. We'll see.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    So I retire tomorrow. After 35+ years going into a cubicle/office, it's kind of surreal that I won't have to do that anymore.
    Anyone have any recommendations? I'm planning on taking a couple of months to get some perspective before deciding on anything. There's a pretty active volunteer network in my community so will likely invest some time with one or two. We'll see.
    join lots and lots of fantasy leagues?

Comment

Congratulations!
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Congrats! Any travel plans?
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Congrats! I love that you're looking to give back. One of the things I have seen through my work is the more active people are in retirement the healthy they are. We need purpose. As for volunteering, remember that you get to decide who you give your time in retirement. Don't feel locked into something if you're not enjoying it or the organization doesn't treat you right.

Also, keep involved in your hobbies and don't be afraid to do something new.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

wow, congrats!

Comment

I spend a lot of enjoyable time with OOTP. Pretty easy to get engrossed in it.

Comment

Congrats. I hope you enjoy your new found freedom.

Comment

Congrats! I'm still 20 years off myself, but I certainly think about that day from time to time. The freedom must feel great! ITC offers great advice--stay active and have purpose, but focus on activities you want to do and purposes you want to fulfill. That is living the dream!

Comment

cripes, we are getting old. I feel like RJ will literally die out.

Congrats mate!
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Thanks - yeah, yesterday felt pretty disorienting. For 35+ years my life has revolved around a certain rhythm ; now there's a lot of blank space. I know it's a good thing - great thing - but this will take some getting used to.
                      For the immediate future, our son moved to LA last year - we're flying out there Friday.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Thanks - yeah, yesterday felt pretty disorienting. For 35+ years my life has revolved around a certain rhythm ; now there's a lot of blank space. I know it's a good thing - great thing - but this will take some getting used to.
                        For the immediate future, our son moved to LA last year - we're flying out there Friday.
                        Well that explains the crazy weather! ?
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post

Well that explains the crazy weather! ?
                          just wait til later this week when we're down there!!!

Comment

If you find your way out to Tucson, you got me, Hornsby and DMT waiting to buy you a drink!
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Congrats. I've been semi-retired for 3 months, but I'll be going back to work part time in March. It's amazing how much time there is without work, yet how unproductive one can be ! Enjoy !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X