Electric Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Vehicles

Does anyone own one or plan on owning one in the near future?

The range is still not good enough for me to use as a business vehicle, The cost for the kind of EV that is attractive to me is very prohibitive. If they take care of those two things I would be interested to take one for a spin.

Thoughts?

My neighbors have two and they are very happy with them. He told me that the price dropped to what sounded fairly reasonable for the Tesla that they just got.
    I have heard that there were some problems with thieves stealing the chargers or something like that so I am a bit concerned about that, considering I don't have a garage to hide it. For the record the neighbors don't keep their cars in the garage either and have not had a problem yet.

Comment

RJEL Girl was looking at one when she got her latest car in 2020. She wanted the RAV-4, but ended up with a hybrid instead because the full EV was still being marked up at an insane rate. Next car.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I've had an electric for almost seven years now. I own a 2012 Nissan Leaf. It's a first generation EV, so the battery is very small compared to most anything on the market the last five years. I will tell you, I love driving the car. Because the battery is no longer at full capacity, I am unable to use it some days when I have a lot of driving to do, but it is the perfect commuter/run to the store and errands vehicle. Perfect for the person who drive 20-25 miles each day.

I would love to upgrade to a new model with extended range, but it's not in the cards at this point.

I run my car on a regular outlet, I plug in at 9:00-10:00 at night, and the battery is completely charged when I walk out in the morning to leave. My electric bill has gone up $30/month. $30/month compared to the $120-$150 I put in my other vehicle, I'll take that everyday.

Last note, very cold days suck in the EV because of decreased range, but I've learned to live with that and how to combat it.
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

What do you consider to be a very cold day and what % of range is lost?

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
            I see that range loss due to temperature can really vary by model. Some are quite minimal, others about 1/3 reduction at freezing temperature. Of course where I live freezing temp is considered balmy for several months so it would no doubt be very significant here.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
              I live in MN, so we experience a lot of cold. At it's worst, I lose about 1/3rd of the range when it is below zero. I have an older Leaf that is known to be one of the worst in losing capacity due to the cold.

"Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

I have a VW ID4. It's excellent. Got it last August after our old car decided to become scrapyard-ready a few years before I wanted it to.

I worked the market hard, both new and used, but the thing that tipped it over the edge for us was when I put together a spreadsheet that plugged in the finance, running costs, load carrying ability (trunk etc), *and* the carbon impact in use.

We're paying for it. Through the nose. But it was very important to us to be able to look our kids in the eye and say we made the best decision we could make at the time.

The good news is that more and more people are coming to us as a point of reference in a "oh you should talk to amcg, he has one" kind of way.

Comment

I have a great compromise (that unfortunately doesnt exist anymore) but there are some used ones and other cars with similar technologies.

I have a 2022 Hyundai Ioniq PHEV (around 30-33k dollars new). It seems like a hybrid car - veru similar to my 2010 Prius and gets about 55 mpg on a hybrid gas engine
                  BUT
                  it also is a plug in that get 29 miles on a charge
                  so If I charge it and drive less than about 30 miles - I dont use gas - If I drive more than 30 miles in a day then it automatically switches to gas

My effective MPG has been about 120 miles per gallon over the past year - if we go on distance trips then only about 70 mpg (still damn good)

There are a few hyundais with the same technology - a volvo has it too - prius and RAV4 prime - and used honda clarity (my parents have one of those) look for plug in hybrid electric vehicles

I have a level two charger and it charges 2.5 hours to put on a 29 mile charge - the cost is not noticeble if I charge after 9pm

Comment

Working...
                  X