Pack a Day Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pack a Day Opener

My dad and I spent a lot of Saturday mornings going to baseball card shows as I was growing up. Previous to that I spent the majority of my allowance as a kid on baseball cards.

My wife wanted to do something fun for Christmas this past year, and she needed ideas. I told her I would love to open up some old baseball cards. Like a pack a day of old junk wax. Well, my wife went a little overboard and I have more than a pack per day, but I try to limit myself to one pack each night. Some nights it is pure junk, like not even a minor star, other times you hit. One of my first packs was a 1990 Leaf and I snagged a Sammy Sosa rookie.

Last night I grabbed a pack of 1990 Topps, and low and behold, I came up with a Deion Sanders rookie.

I'm having some fun with the cards. The anniversary of my dad's passing I went a little crazy and opened about eight packs of 1990 Upper Deck. I came away with an Ozzie Smith, two Jose Cansecos, Barry Bonds, Bo Jackson, a rookie Albert Belle and Larry Walker.

I'm having a good time with, and the new stuff...way too much and too much to chase.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

sounds fun - how do you not open one of these packs?

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
      My dad and I spent a lot of Saturday mornings going to baseball card shows as I was growing up. Previous to that I spent the majority of my allowance as a kid on baseball cards.

My wife wanted to do something fun for Christmas this past year, and she needed ideas. I told her I would love to open up some old baseball cards. Like a pack a day of old junk wax. Well, my wife went a little overboard and I have more than a pack per day, but I try to limit myself to one pack each night. Some nights it is pure junk, like not even a minor star, other times you hit. One of my first packs was a 1990 Leaf and I snagged a Sammy Sosa rookie.

Last night I grabbed a pack of 1990 Topps, and low and behold, I came up with a Deion Sanders rookie.

I'm having some fun with the cards. The anniversary of my dad's passing I went a little crazy and opened about eight packs of 1990 Upper Deck. I came away with an Ozzie Smith, two Jose Cansecos, Barry Bonds, Bo Jackson, a rookie Albert Belle and Larry Walker.

I'm having a good time with, and the new stuff...way too much and too much to chase.
      that sounds like a lot of fun. My dad never appreciated baseball or baseball cards, so it was just me and my brother. We also spent our whole allowance on cards. Opening a pack of cards was such a great experience, glad you are reliving that.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Ahhh, the feel of slick waxy plastic wrappers and the smell of stale bubblegum combined with the look of little 2.5" x 3.5" cardboard works of art infused with baseball's rich history. Good times indeed.
        Last edited by madducks; 02-10-2023, 05:44 AM.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          sounds fun - how do you not open one of these packs?
          Well, the new job isn't quite that lucrative.

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

are you eating the gum?
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              are you eating the gum?
              Chewing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Chewing?
                Heyelander is right. It is eating the gum. No, I learned that lesson about 20 years ago when I opened a pack from the late '80's. It literally crumbled into dust un my mouth. Never again.

Comment

Working...
                X