Rocky Mountain High - Colorado Will Now Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Mountain High - Colorado Will Now Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol

To the shock and amazement of everyone, and despite a joint effort from state Republicans and Democrats to crush it, Colorado's Amendment 64 has passed! Colorado will now regulate marijuana like alcohol.

Once the election is certified in two months, adults 21 and older will be able to purchase up to one ounce of the drug at state-regulated retail outlets. Legal users will be able to grow up to six marijuana plants in their homes. Possession will be legal. Public usage will not. Local governments can still ban marijuana sales in their jurisdictions.

This is truly unprecedented, and there's still a lot to be worked out. The amendment did not speak to how the state's commerical marijuana industry will be regulated. This falls under the jurisdiction of The Department Of Revenue, and they are not expected to have a regulatory framework in place until January 2014.

There is also an enforcement framework that needs to be created. Colorado's Democratic leadership has vowed to respect the will of the people. The Feds have not - conflict is expected.

For those interested, I'll report on all these issues in this thread as they unfold.

Smoke'em if you got'em!

(Dammit, can we get a working :stoned: smiley here?)
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Adjust your Rockies values accordingly. Many more strikeouts and a few miles an hour off the fastball. Expect players to come in over weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Adjust your Rockies values accordingly. Many more strikeouts and a few miles an hour off the fastball. Expect players to come in over weight.
      On the plus side, our chances of luring Tim Lincecum here just improved.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

What do y'all think are the chances that President Obama joins the shifting public sentiment on this issue the way he ultimately did on gay marriage? I know that this is an issue where I've only recently come around to support de-criminalization and regulated legalization myself. President Obama himself has publicly admitted to past recreational use himself and doesn't have to worry about re-election. Is the time ripe for him to at the very least signal that his DOJ and DEA will exercise their legitimate discretion over resource allocation and leave this alone?

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          On the plus side, our chances of luring Tim Lincecum here just improved.
          Not gonna happen. Jason tweeted last night he thought Seattle because of park effects LOL. But you're both wrong, people openly toked during the parade in SF so he's in noooo danger of leaving lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
            Not gonna happen. Jason tweeted last night he thought Seattle because of park effects LOL. But you're both wrong, people openly toked during the parade in SF so he's in noooo danger of leaving lol.
            Maybe he needs to quit so he doesn't stink to high heaven again.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Maybe he needs to quit so he doesn't stink to high heaven again.
              I don't know, I'm not a pot smoker. But it sure didn't hurt the snowboarder that won the gold medal or every tech titan in Silicon Valley.

Comment

I don't know, I'm not a pot smoker. But it sure didn't hurt the snowboarder that won the gold medal or every tech titan in Silicon Valley.
                It doesn't seem to hinder Michael Phelps too much, either.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  It doesn't seem to hinder Michael Phelps too much, either.
                  Yup. To me his pot smoking is even more impressive than all of his gold medals. With his lung capacity he must utilize a super-human sized bowl.

So Sheep, how are you celebrating today?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    What do y'all think are the chances that President Obama joins the shifting public sentiment on this issue the way he ultimately did on gay marriage? I know that this is an issue where I've only recently come around to support de-criminalization and regulated legalization myself. President Obama himself has publicly admitted to past recreational use himself and doesn't have to worry about re-election. Is the time ripe for him to at the very least signal that his DOJ and DEA will exercise their legitimate discretion over resource allocation and leave this alone?
                    I do think there's a decent chance he'll come around a little bit. But didn't I hear that he was openly hostile to the large-scale medicinal growers in Cali? If he can find a way to take it easy on the possession side while still being really harsh on the providers side, maybe that would be his approach.

Comment

Maybe he just sucks.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

People traveling to Holland and Amsterdam just to smoke is a HUGE % of their tourist traffic. They can't touch the coffee shops for that reason. Allowing people to smoke in a set location (coffee shops) was a clever move as it gave the tourist traffic a specific place to go. Could be a huge boom for Colorado tourism.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Maybe he just sucks.
                          Ah. When you said Timmah stinks to high heaven, I thought you were talking about the dankness of his herbs...

Comment

Emerging nations jump ahead of the USA in terms of productivity and innovation.

USA legalizes marijuana

Comment

If the feds let Nevada have legalized prostitution and gambling, I don't see the legitimacy of trying to stop Colorado from having legalized marijuana.

Amusing that Utah is between the two.
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                              X