Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    marathon was just canceled....

reports of runners who picked up their race gear and info being booed on the subways.
    yes, really.
    Good on both counts.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

We're ok. Fortunate to escape with no flooding or damage to the house. My neighborhood and the towns to the north of me (Plainfield, N Plainfield, Green Brook) got really slammed. Huge old trees felled, many of them on to cars or houses. Went without power from Monday night through sometime yesterday. After a very cold Tuesday night and the 3-month old getting a croupy cough, we amscrayed for the in-laws in S Jersey (Runnemede). They never lost power. Just got back an hour or so ago. Throw out all the food in the fridge, etc.

Very concerned about Hammer. If he and his fam still live where I remember, his house is either gone or underwater.
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Apparently the crazy gas lines I see - just saw another one miles long tonight - and that you see on national TV are almost all north of I-95

so it sucks in the southern half of the state, but the worst frustration in terms of gas is in the "upper half"

AND here comes gas rationing

we did this in the 1970s nationwide
        people can only gas up if they have the right day, in terms of last number in their plate being odd or even. if you can't buy Saturday, you can buy Sunday or Tuesday etc
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          Apparently the crazy gas lines I see - just saw another one miles long tonight - and that you see on national TV are almost all north of I-95

so it sucks in the southern half of the state, but the worst frustration in terms of gas is in the "upper half"

AND here comes gas rationing

we did this in the 1970s nationwide
          people can only gas up if they have the right day, in terms of last number in their plate being odd or even. if you can't buy Saturday, you can buy Sunday or Tuesday etc
          I waited on line today for 4 hours, and they didn't allow me to go over $30. I even offered the attendant money to fill my tank and he refused.

Comment

Power was restored around 6pm tonight. Heat and hot water is so nice. I feel for those waiting in those long lines in North Jersey. Come down south with no wait and you can fill up.
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

people within 20-30 miles of I-95 in center of state should just go south when they have 100 miles of gas left - no worries.

for people up north, go 20-30 miles or so into Rockland or Orange counties in NY, same scenario, pretty much, if you know where to look (not NYS Thruway, for instance).

tougher if you're halfway between the two

UPDATE: Hoboken Mayor says they'll be without power for "another 7 to 10 days"

the birthplace of baseball, and Frank Sinatra
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

So, our apartment still doesn't have power and my parents' house is a disaster (but everyone is alive and well, so it's all good) - we're set up in the parents' temporary digs with power and heat and hot water, so that's a plus, particularly with a pregnant wife. People are definitely starting to lose it and get way more hostile than they were earlier in the week. People just screaming at the doormen in my building, as if they have anything to do with the lack of power. I thought I heard that someone got shot at a gas station when he tried to cut the long line and get gas, but I didn't see any confirmation.

It's pretty crazy, but I'm thankful that it wasn't worse for us. Some of the stories from around here are heartbreaking.

Comment

Just got power back here in Tottenville, Staten Island for the first time since Monday. Thankful to be one of lucky ones who only had to deal with that. 10 of my friends lost either their entire house or most of it. Thank god none lost their lives. Been working non stop 12 hour shifts getting all this **** off the streets. It really is apocalyptic around here and this BS with the gas lines is getting real old.

Comment

still no power - nor any sign that we might get it - except PSEG says it should be in order by Monday or it might not be.

We went to friends with power to do some wash.

My school district in Bergen County will still not be opening on Monday or Tuesday

many huge trees still on the ground

People are waiting for gas just on the rumor that a station MIGHT have it. There was a tremendous line at 7 am at the Shell station. A rumor had circulated that a tanker was making a delivery at noon - after 1:00 the police finally shooed everyone away with no sign of gas for the day.

I keep thinking of Mad Max

Comment

at bottom of this link are the PDFs for the major NJ electric companies; they have estimates for when in the next 3 days most people in towns will get power - and which ones aren't even on the schedule yet.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Still no power, but I had the luxury of being in Kansas for the last two weeks, then immediately went out to PA. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be back on.

Comment

Actually, I think it gives a very good idea - if accurate - how soon many people can expect power to be restored.

AND it tells people in other towns that it may be days or weeks before they get power back.

The reason that is so important is that fuel is precious here, and hotel rooms are expensive.
                          If people believe power will be back soon, they may pay for hotel rooms they can't afford.
                          And if they don't believe power will be back soon when it will be, they may drive 100 miles to relatives, only to find out power was restored along the way.

Not sure how many households there are in your entire state vs the number of households still impacted here, or if that would be useful for context....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

so according to the chart - they aren't doing anything for me SUNDAY. MONDAY and some 2/3rds people will get power TUESDAY - the other 1/3 - oh well
                            the original promise of Monday isn't looking so good
                            County - ESSEX
                            Municipality - GLEN RIDGE BORO
                            Muni Customers Served - 2,689
                            Muni Cust Out - 1,424
                            % Muni Cust Out - 53.0%
                            % Overall Cust Out- 0.2%
                            Cust Affected Day 1 Plan - 0
                            Cust Affected Day 2 Plan - 0
                            Cust Affected Day 3 Plan - 1,068

Comment

My township is 81% out and only 24% will be back by Monday. Guess I'll be in Camden County for a little while longer.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                I should sell the module I developed for outage restoration notifications for gazillions of dollars. This is absolutely heinous. What the hell does it do to address the #1 question any person experiencing an outage has --- when will power be restored?
                                You should read the responses they're giving to questions on Twitter-- "we're working the hardest we can...." Blah blah blah

Comment

Working...
                                X