Any Kansas/Missouri Rotojunkies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Kansas/Missouri Rotojunkies?

I'll be in Kansas/Missouri for 12 days beginning on Sunday. Anyone around, any advice on restaurants/attractions....or is this a dumb question?

who did you piss off?

Where are you going in Kansas?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      who did you piss off?

Where are you going in Kansas?
      LOL -- training meetings. Will be in Overland Park at the Double Tree.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Stayed at that same place the last time I was there. I was only there one night. If you have a car, find Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. Oh, and watch your speed. Kansas cops are the f'n worst

Comment

Kansas City has its moments.

The BarBQ is top drawer. From Overland park, Arthur Bryants is about 30 miles, so Oklahoma Joes is not a bad 2nd option. Just ask around if one is not close.

Some people consider the Plaza a necessity. For me, its just a shopping locale. Very historic, but just shopping when all is said and done. For Sports bars, try the West End, which is actually fairly central. It is near the KU Medical school.

For culture, you will have to talk to someone else.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Overland Park is nice. I spent a couple months there for training also.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I've used the Food Network's iPad app to find all the restaurants they've gone to (great app, BTW), and yep, right smack dab in the middle of BBQ country, so at least I got that going for me.

I'm going to be there over a weekend also, so I've mapped out a few destinations to hit:
              - Negro League Museum
              - Fort Leavenworth
              - Jesse James birthplace/cemetery

All the other places I would like to go to are too far off (Dodge City, Fort Hays, etc.) Maybe Truman's birthplace in Independence is a possibility, and the Jayhawks are in town playing UT, so maybe we hit that too.

Comment

The Negro League Museum is newer than my time in Lawrence. I have never been.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  The Negro League Museum is newer than my time in Lawrence. I have never been.

J
                  When I asked my corporate hosts if there are any pre-planned activities for the weekend, they said "yes, on Friday night & Sunday." Sunday, hmmmm, the Chiefs are in town playing Oakland.......

Comment

When I asked my corporate hosts if there are any pre-planned activities for the weekend, they said "yes, on Friday night & Sunday." Sunday, hmmmm, the Chiefs are in town playing Oakland.......
                    I am just green. I hear the new Arrowhead is incredible.

If you are going that far into Missouri, try to hit Arthur Bryants. It is a piece of history, compete with rough neighborhood. A word of warning. Whatever your concept of BBQ sauce, Arthur Bryant's is different.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      I am just green. I hear the new Arrowhead is incredible.

If you are going that far into Missouri, try to hit Arthur Bryants. It is a piece of history, compete with rough neighborhood. A word of warning. Whatever your concept of BBQ sauce, Arthur Bryant's is different.

J
                      Went last year. Had a good meal. Rough neighborhood but never felt threatened. Easy to get to. Worth it for the history.

When it comes to BBQ I am spoiled. I didn't find any joints head and shoulders above what I am used to in Chicago.

Comment

I've used the Food Network's iPad app to find all the restaurants they've gone to (great app, BTW), and yep, right smack dab in the middle of BBQ country, so at least I got that going for me.

I'm going to be there over a weekend also, so I've mapped out a few destinations to hit:
                        - Negro League Museum
                        - Fort Leavenworth
                        - Jesse James birthplace/cemetery

All the other places I would like to go to are too far off (Dodge City, Fort Hays, etc.) Maybe Truman's birthplace in Independence is a possibility, and the Jayhawks are in town playing UT, so maybe we hit that too.
                        I went through Dodge City - not worth the drive

Comment

BBQ is your answer, I like Gates better than Arthur Byrants, but both are great, some people swear by Jack's Stack, but I prefer my BBQ come from a place with a screen door as the front door, rather than white tablecloths
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

And a successful prediction! Raiders-Chiefs game on tap for Sunday.

Comment

And a successful prediction! Raiders-Chiefs game on tap for Sunday.
                              That's a reward?

Comment

Working...
                              X