Any fellow firearms enthusiasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    do you have an issue with people having firearms for propert protection?
    In practice, yes. My assessment of the available evidence (although I recognize that there's no really clear data) is that when citizens try to take "protection of home, self and others" into their own hands by keeping firearms in their home or on their person, it results in far more tragedy than triumph...accidental deaths, mistaken identities, suicides, crimes of passion, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I put together my own black rifle back in 1999 or 2000. It's been a few years since I've been to the range, though. I knew some guys who used to have an annual black rifle shoot in Glen Rose. I wonder if they are still doing that. I've lost touch with them, but they were good folks.
      Just added a new Magpul CTR stock to mine today... it's getting closer to where I want it.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        I have a friend that is looking at giving me one of his rifles. While I haven't done much shooting, all of my brothers in-law are serious hunters. I wouldn't mind going out with them and hunting down Bambi to provide some food for the family. I'm not real keen on having the gun in the house, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
        ITC, do you have much of a problem with Chronic Wasting Disease in the deer population by you?
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Problem with black rifles seems to be the cost of ammo. My buddy just picked up a can of 500 7.62 rounds for his -47 and it was a "bargain" at $155. That's a lot of money to pass rounds through the barrel at paper targets and jugs of water.
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
            Problem with black rifles seems to be the cost of ammo. My buddy just picked up a can of 500 7.62 rounds for his -47 and it was a "bargain" at $155. That's a lot of money to pass rounds through the barrel at paper targets and jugs of water.
            It's been a while since I purchased, but I think .223 ammo for the AR-15 is cheaper than 7.62 ammo for the AK-47. And secondly, 500 rounds will last you quite a while if you're just plinking.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              It's been a while since I purchased, but I think .223 ammo for the AR-15 is cheaper than 7.62 ammo for the AK-47. And secondly, 500 rounds will last you quite a while if you're just plinking.
              Heh, it's about a half day of shooting at the farm

I'm thinking that nice inexpensive shells for my Saiga and maybe in the near future handgun rounds are a much cheaper way to have fun

Anybody shoot pistols? I have big hands (and hate plasticky Glocks) so I'm looking at either buying a 1911 or going more bells and whistles with a Sig although I need to look at and hold a CZ75. Any thoughts on a quality medium-large frame automatic largely for range use?
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Heh, it's about a half day of shooting at the farm

I'm thinking that nice inexpensive shells for my Saiga and maybe in the near future handgun rounds are a much cheaper way to have fun

Anybody shoot pistols? I have big hands (and hate plasticky Glocks) so I'm looking at either buying a 1911 or going more bells and whistles with a Sig although I need to look at and hold a CZ75. Any thoughts on a quality medium-large frame automatic largely for range use?
                5.56 NATO is actually very cheap if you buy steel cased Russian stuff. 20 rounds for less than $4 usually. And although it is usually really dirty ammo, most decent AR15 rifles can cycle it just fine. The problem is that when you have 30 round magazines that you can empty in less than 20 seconds, it can get expensive if you want it to be. But again, the ammo itself is about as cheap as you'll find.

For handguns, you can't go wrong with a Sig. Steel instead of polymer and a great reputation for reliability and accuracy. Best advice is to try and go to a range that rents guns and try them out before you purchase. 1911's are terrific too, just can get pricey.

I'm in the market right now for a .40S&W caliber handgun and I'm considering Glock 22/23, Springfield XDm and, of course, Sig Sauers.

Bob, I've shot a CZ in 9mm before and it was a good gun. Steel frame and solid, much like a Beretta 92.

I should note that the only handgun I currently own is a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. It is a beast, and not one that is necessarily fun to shoot all day long

Comment

Bob, have you shot the S12 much yet? I'm intrigued by the magazine fed shotgun and would love to hear a report from you.

Comment

I'm still learning my way around it and think I'm going to have a friend mod it up a bit-- I have the Sporter config and the trigger is pretty flimsy... not so great in a gun I bought specifically because it was a semi-auto
                    . I may or may not go for the "cool" stuff to make it more Ak-like-- it's primarily going to be used for sporting clays and the like so the tactical grips and folding stock would really be much more for looks than function.

The two recoil settings are nice and it doesn't kick nearly as much as the old Winchester pump gun I have if you set the selector correctly. I've only had it out a couple of times so I'm still feeling my way around. I will say that it's a hell of a lot of fun to just blast away with the thing As I get more used to it I'll let you know my thoughts. It does garner a share of looks when I've taken it to the range, I can say that much!

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                      For handguns, you can't go wrong with a Sig. Steel instead of polymer and a great reputation for reliability and accuracy. Best advice is to try and go to a range that rents guns and try them out before you purchase. 1911's are terrific too, just can get pricey.

I'm in the market right now for a .40S&W caliber handgun and I'm considering Glock 22/23, Springfield XDm and, of course, Sig Sauers.

Bob, I've shot a CZ in 9mm before and it was a good gun. Steel frame and solid, much like a Beretta 92.

I should note that the only handgun I currently own is a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. It is a beast, and not one that is necessarily fun to shoot all day long
                      That's my thing against Glock-- hate the heft of the polymer guns. It just doesn't feel right to me. It's kind of a Joe Montana situation-- I appreciate the excellence of the thing, but I still don't like it.

The Sig is probably overkill for a range gun, but I like the way it feels-- fits my hand nicely and just reads solid. I've shot the 226 and enjoyed it. The 1911s appeal to the history buff in me, though... and talk about a solid gun, lol. Just a big brick of steel. People have been recommending the -75 to me and, as you said, I'm going to grab one next time I hit the pistol range and give it a feel.

I'm guessing that 24 rounds through that Blackhawk leaves your shoulder feeling like you've been bench pressing a Honda Civic all day

Comment

That's my thing against Glock-- hate the heft of the polymer guns. It just doesn't feel right to me. It's kind of a Joe Montana situation-- I appreciate the excellence of the thing, but I still don't like it.

The Sig is probably overkill for a range gun, but I like the way it feels-- fits my hand nicely and just reads solid. I've shot the 226 and enjoyed it. The 1911s appeal to the history buff in me, though... and talk about a solid gun, lol. Just a big brick of steel. People have been recommending the -75 to me and, as you said, I'm going to grab one next time I hit the pistol range and give it a feel.

I'm guessing that 24 rounds through that Blackhawk leaves your shoulder feeling like you've been bench pressing a Honda Civic all day
                        check out Kimber Ultra Carry 2 --- its a "commander" size 1911 and absolutely beautiful... not cheap mind you... but beautiful and accurate.

24 rounds with the Blackhawk - well, the should is fine but the wrist and fingers are in a world of hurt especially when I shoot my hot 305gr lead flat nose ammunition. But it will leave a big hole in whatever you point it at.

Comment

I'm still learning my way around it and think I'm going to have a friend mod it up a bit-- I have the Sporter config and the trigger is pretty flimsy... not so great in a gun I bought specifically because it was a semi-auto
                          . I may or may not go for the "cool" stuff to make it more Ak-like-- it's primarily going to be used for sporting clays and the like so the tactical grips and folding stock would really be much more for looks than function.

The two recoil settings are nice and it doesn't kick nearly as much as the old Winchester pump gun I have if you set the selector correctly. I've only had it out a couple of times so I'm still feeling my way around. I will say that it's a hell of a lot of fun to just blast away with the thing As I get more used to it I'll let you know my thoughts. It does garner a share of looks when I've taken it to the range, I can say that much!
                          I bet it does! There's a guy on one of the Texas hunting forums that I frequent who has done some outstanding "tacticool" mods on those guns. It made me want one but I'm also leaning towards the Mossberg 930SPX or the FN SLP. Something about the old reliable tube fed magazine just makes me more assured.

Comment

I've always been an enthusiast, but only Types One and Two. Black rifles never got the hook in me, but I can see the added appeal of being able to customize them a thousand different ways.

I've started teaching Robert gun safety and the responsibilities of gun ownership. He's 13, and he got his first rifle for Christmas.

I used to love shooting handguns, but the .44 mags and even the .357 mags took their toll on my shoulder. Plus, the cost of ammo makes AR15 rounds seem cheap. Now I'm content to plink with my 9mm and a collection of .22 pistols and revolvers. My favorite is still a long barrel Ruger Single Six with a convertible cylinder for shooting magnum rounds.

Fortunately for me, there is a shooting range about 200 yards from my Courtroom, so I can be there within minutes of finishing the Court day. Great way to relax.

Comment

I grew up in a military family so I was always around guns. Probably 50 or so. Worked on a bullet loader as a summer job once. Growing up I use to shoot a lot at mostly indoor ranges, though we would use outdoor ranges to fix our sights. My first experience was on a Colt Army issue 1911. As a 12 year-old the weight plus the recoil use to make my forearms sore. I've shot pretty much everything you could shoot. These last few years, I'd had too many other more interesting things to do than to shoot and I haven't really missed it.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Glocks, either. I love my Beretta 92FS. Its grip is a little fatter than a 1911 and it feels just right.

Comment

Working...
                                X