The INDEFENSIBLE Defense of Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    And has been pretty well quantitatively shown, an absolute piker compared to this adminstration. I can understand disliking Cheney, but you're simply giving him wayyyyyyyy too much credit.

And I'd argue the concept of "the president can do whatever he wants in time of war" predates Cheney's tenure by, oh, about 140 years.
    Give him that it was a Republican administration that forced emancipation through the Democrats opposition.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Give him that it was a Republican administration that forced emancipation through the Democrats opposition.

J
      Yeah, because the parties stand for EXACTLY the same things that they did 150 years ago.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Yeah, because the parties stand for EXACTLY the same things that they did 150 years ago.
        Or fifty years ago. Nice to see you are keeping up.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Your inability to understand sarcasm is mind-boggling.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            Your inability to understand sarcasm is mind-boggling.
            I guess that makes me good at something. You?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

And I'd argue the concept of "the president can do whatever he wants in time of war" predates Cheney's tenure by, oh, about 140 years.
              and was crushed post Watergate/Vietnam and only recently revitalized by Cheney's seizure of 9/11 and his 1% rule
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Here's the Supreme Court in front of my house during the SF Dyke March....we kept calling out "Give us Scalia, we want Scalia!"

and here's a different shot, my house is the blue one on the left side

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Cool that things like this are starting to be possible:
                  I'm down with gays loving each other. And marrying each other. But I draw the line at celebrating cornball Broadway musical homages...
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Easy for you to say, living in NM, but those of us living on the east coast will remember this come hurricane season
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

The Senate voted 64-32 today to end decades of employment discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

Woo!
                      What's next...they gonna vote to allow camels in the workplace?

WOOT WOOT!!!
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

The Senate voted 64-32 today to end decades of employment discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

Woo!
                        So great that half of our Congress isn't bigoted but the other half won't bring it to the floor

Comment

Conservative Christians, once again boldly leading us into the 18th century.

Arizona’s Legislature has passed a controversial bill that would allow business owners, as long as they assert their religious beliefs, to deny service to gays.

Jesus sure would be proud! Good job you bigoted dicks.
                          Funny - currently in MN the state is allowing Muslim taxi cab drivers to deny service to clients based on their religious beliefs. The drivers can deny service to people with dogs, carrying alcohol, gays and other things that do not comply with their beliefs... I dont agree with any of this here in MN or in AZ........... just saying
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Do we really need to revisit conservative Christian Churches preaching from the pulpit throughout the Civil Rights Era that segregation was ordained by God? FWIW, Griff, I don;t think that cab drivers should be allowed to discriminate either, although I know nothing about the local law you're citing.
                            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• jesus wept

Comment

Just for the record, this proposed law is in response to what religious folks see as an attack on the the Religious Freedom Restoration Act by a New Mexico court when it ruled that a photographer who denied his services to a gay couple was discriminatory. Denying service on the basis of sexual orientation is illegal in New Mexico but the ruling was significant because it essentially said that individuals may not invoke that Act as a defense even when the government is not involved. The Arizona bill is specifically intended to curb the tide of allowances for gays and lesbians and would allow them to invoke the RFRA in Arizona if sued for discrimination.
                                In the case of the cabbies - people are being denied service based on the fact that they dont comply with the cabbies religious views (at least this is what I am understanding). Im just saying that not only the Christian right are using reliqion as the whip to deny services to those they may choose not to serve. Im not trying to say that the Muslims or anyone else are making the laws, just that there are other religions using their viewpoints as a means to determine who they may and may not serve.

Again - I dont agree with any of it.
                                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                                X