The INDEFENSIBLE Defense of Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nots View Post
    I'm loathe to wade too deeply into this but....
    why should anyone get an economic benefit from the government for being married (be it hetero or homo)? It is discriminatory against single folks, widowers and the divorced--groups of people who are probably more likely (at least in a very broad, generalizing way) to need an economic boost.
    Why shouldn't the federal government treat us all as equally as possible? W
    Is there really an economic benefit to marriage? I'm not sure. I don't view marriage as a religious act or an economic act, but rather as a social one. It's a commitment to make sacrifices for one another (and, of course, any children) to advance the best interests of the family unit. Ideally, that commitment and those sacrifices will pay off in increased happiness for all involved.

Comment

I'm loathe to wade too deeply into this but....
      why should anyone get an economic benefit from the government for being married (be it hetero or homo)? It is discriminatory against single folks, widowers and the divorced--groups of people who are probably more likely (at least in a very broad, generalizing way) to need an economic boost.
      Why shouldn't the federal government treat us all as equally as possible? W
      Marriage is a merger of assets and liabilities/debt, with state-mandated procedures for division of such assets/debts should the marriage terminate by mutual agreement or the death of one party, that's more of what I meant...
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        Interesting how that sounds.
        I could fib and say it wasn't intentional... But nah, it's exactly what I meant. The perversion of our nation's civil society by the never intended and expressly prohibited interference of religion is drawing in many ways to a close, hallelujah!
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Well guys I guess I will just have to remain "tone deaf"... I don't have any agenda for "separate but equal". I want the argument to stop and just move on. You can call me intolerant if you will, I'm just tired of the whole thing and want the argument to cease or better yet have the politicians stop playing tennis with it and using it to continue making money for the parties.

Don't kid yourself kids this is as much a political hot potato as it is a money maker for each party.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            You can call me intolerant if you will, I'm just tired of the whole thing and want the argument to cease or better yet have the politicians stop playing tennis with it and using it to continue making money for the parties.

Don't kid yourself kids this is as much a political hot potato as it is a money maker for each party.
            But that's one of the beauties of it, Griff. The cynical bastards at the RNC used gay rights as a wedge issue for years. They manipulated religious fundamentalists with it not because the RNC gave a shit about "moral crusades" and a "return to Jesus", but because it gave them a foot army of largely rural, low education and low information reliable voters who would vote against their own economic interests and in favor of plutocratic economic policies because they thought they were voting on the side of God and keeping those "homos", "baby killers", "evolutionists" and various other blasphemers out of our government. Well, Griff, now that wedge issue is being reversed and used to break that bond. Not only does the side of good get served-- equality-- but the ability of the GOP to continue to use religion as a cover for the campaign to return the US to the regulatory and business policies of the pre-Teddy Roosevelt Era is compromised. So no, Griff, not a millimeter of give, not a millimeter.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              Marriage is a merger of assets and liabilities/debt, with state-mandated procedures for division of such assets/debts should the marriage terminate by mutual agreement or the death of one party, that's more of what I meant...
              I was thinking more of the tax code advantages for married filers as opposed to other non-married folks. Seems unfair.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                Well guys I guess I will just have to remain "tone deaf"... I don't have any agenda for "separate but equal". I want the argument to stop and just move on. You can call me intolerant if you will, I'm just tired of the whole thing and want the argument to cease or better yet have the politicians stop playing tennis with it and using it to continue making money for the parties.

Your view is the exact same one that Hillary Clinton and 20 or so prominent legislators had until last week when the new polls came out.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  It's also a pretty real thing for a lot of gay couples (or just gay folks who also have hopes to marry or just have a vested interest in the issue). It may just tire you but for a lot of folks it's a fight worth fighting.
                  This is where I'm at. If my gay friends and relatives just wanted to stop the argument and move on with "civil unions" then I'd support them, but the word marriage means a great deal to them and therefore it means a great deal to me. It means a great deal to them because it demonstrates a level of respect for their commitment to one another on par with that of heterosexual couples. It's a level of respect that I passionately believe they deserve.

Comment

I was thinking more of the tax code advantages for married filers as opposed to other non-married folks. Seems unfair.
                    and why the extra deductions for kids? What's up with that? I've got to pay a higher % because I'm using less resources?
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      and why the extra deductions for kids? What's up with that? I've got to pay a higher % because I'm using less resources?
                      hey now, don't be messin' with my kid deduction, heye!!!
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        Someone has to be incentivized to create future taxpayers to finance Social Security and Medicare after we've retired.

Comment

• Good riddance you piece of shit law

Comment

• Three cheers for the Supreme Court. One step closer to complete and total equality for all
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                              Three cheers for the Supreme Court. One step closer to complete and total equality for all
                              Leave the gays alone and make your pick!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X