Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    Here is where the rub comes with health insurance...you're playing a financial game in which you don't have all the information.

I've had the same crappy Bronze Plan for three years. It's the cheapest coverage I can afford, as that is all my budget allows for. My wife has a prescription that she has been on for numerous years.

Happy New Year...sent the refill in today. Got a call from the pharmacy, the price is over $300 for a 30-day refill. This after it has been $25 for the past two years. I knew the prescription was moving to Tier 2 on their formulary, but the formulary doesn't give a price range. Called the insurance company. We pay the full amount ($300/month) until she hits her $7,000 deductible and then it is a 60/40 split. So I'm still on the hook for about $150 a month.

Thanks for this...the drug really is the only think that keeps my wife functional.
    As an IC I buy my own health insurance. My wife and kids are on her company's plan.

Last year I bought the worst health insurance I've ever had. Super huge co-pays ($125/$150), even the doctors were astounded. It was BCBS and was about $370 a month. Got word they were increasing it by $50 a month, so I shopped on the exchange. Found insurance that was $470 a month, but it's 100x better.

Did you have a chance to do the math for your plan? I found paying more per month for mine will work out to be far better in the long run than the cheaper, crappier option.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      As an IC I buy my own health insurance. My wife and kids are on her company's plan.

Last year I bought the worst health insurance I've ever had. Super huge co-pays ($125/$150), even the doctors were astounded. It was BCBS and was about $370 a month. Got word they were increasing it by $50 a month, so I shopped on the exchange. Found insurance that was $470 a month, but it's 100x better.

Did you have a chance to do the math for your plan? I found paying more per month for mine will work out to be far better in the long run than the cheaper, crappier option.
      I have checked. The reality for us is we are both very healthy other than my wife's prescriptions we have very little in other costs. My biggest issue is you play a blind game when it comes to treatment.

When I go to the grocery store, I know how much my pound of hamburger is going to cost. When I need an MRI, I have to guess because there isn't a price tag. Even if I knew a range I would be satisfied. No other industry gets away with not sharing prices up front.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• My insurance renewal went up over $80 per month for 2018. Why? Why?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Here is where the rub comes with health insurance...you're playing a financial game in which you don't have all the information.

I've had the same crappy Bronze Plan for three years. It's the cheapest coverage I can afford, as that is all my budget allows for. My wife has a prescription that she has been on for numerous years.

Happy New Year...sent the refill in today. Got a call from the pharmacy, the price is over $300 for a 30-day refill. This after it has been $25 for the past two years. I knew the prescription was moving to Tier 2 on their formulary, but the formulary doesn't give a price range. Called the insurance company. We pay the full amount ($300/month) until she hits her $7,000 deductible and then it is a 60/40 split. So I'm still on the hook for about $150 a month.

Thanks for this...the drug really is the only think that keeps my wife functional.

The tragic part of this is that you have no ability to shop around for a better price on the medication. I suspect that there is only one maker of the medication and no generic available either. If you had the ability to shop for a better price..........

Bro - I am sorry that you're getting hit with this additional BS!
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            The tragic part of this is that you have no ability to shop around for a better price on the medication. I suspect that there is only one maker of the medication and no generic available either. If you had the ability to shop for a better price..........

Bro - I am sorry that you're getting hit with this additional BS!
            Yeah well, I haven't been kicked in the nuts in awhile. Now if I could cash in my chips from the WRGPT tournament, I would be just fine.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

sounds like your plan changed significantly. No one told you about this? For a change in benefits like that I think you'd be paying lower premiums or have better benefits in a different part of the plan. Did the plan name change? My health insurance goes up every year by a significant amount and coverage gets worse and its been doing this since around 2010 or 2011, before that the increases were much smaller.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
              X