Affordable Health Care Law under review by SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Saw an article on Mother Jones about a work around to use the exchange without going through the shitty healthcare.gov site. Probably worth checking out.
    using healthsherpa.com?

I used that, but you still have to get to the exchange to see if you qualify for subsidies. Given my unemployed status, that's key for me. Otherwise, I'm staring at a $700 a month bill through my wife's plan that has a $1500 family deductible & 75/25 coverages

Comment

• A series of White House emails published on Wednesday show members of the Obama administration expressing concern over the HealthCare.gov site’s viability in the days leading up to its launch on October 1st.

The more I read, the more I have to wonder why they didn't just push the roll out back 6 months--seems like almost everyone inside the circle knew there were going to be big problems. I suppose you could argue that delaying things would have given their foes a small victory, but it looks like they actually given them something more by starting before things were ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-em...015052207.html
        The more I read, the more I have to wonder why they didn't just push the roll out back 6 months--seems like almost everyone inside the circle knew there were going to be big problems. I suppose you could argue that delaying things would have given their foes a small victory, but it looks like they actually given them something more by starting before things were ready.
        Political victories are the first priority.

Or at least that's what a cynic might say.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          Political victories are the first priority.

Or at least that's what a cynic might say.
          They are but I think this looks less and less like a victory for the President everyday.

Comment

• "Browsers beware: The estimated monthly premiums on HealthCare.gov may be misleading.

The troubled federal website allows visitors to anonymously surf the site for exchange plans sold in their areas and provides them with estimated prices for each health plan.... But here’s the problem: The monthly premium estimates provided on the website do not consider a person’s specific age, household size or tobacco use – all critical factors when estimating premiums.

HealthCare.gov visitors using the site’s window-shopping tool are repeatedly told that “the final premium you pay may be lower, perhaps much lower, than the prices shown” once they fill out an application and apply for government subsidies. But what the site doesn’t say is that the actual premium may be higher, perhaps much higher, than the estimated premiums shown on the site.

We knew estimates would vary from the actual premiums once customers create an account, provide personal information and obtain accurate price quotes. HealthCare.gov discloses that on the page titled “How can I see Marketplace health plans and prices before I fill out an application?”

But we didn’t know how useless the website’s window-shopper tool can be for certain consumers.."

"repeatedly told that “the final premium you pay may be lower, perhaps much lower, than the prices shown” once they fill out an application and apply for government subsidies. But what the site doesn’t say is that the actual premium may be higher, perhaps much higher,"

fellas, it's a federal gov website. the message for consumers should be "the final premium may vary significantly from the priches shown."

once again, it's the used car salesman pitch. this is a fine example of why independents in particular are sending the popularity numbers tanking. they aren't necessarily against Obamacare, but enough already with the spin. we know the far right is nuts; so enough with the spin....
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              http://www.factcheck.org/2013/11/hea...7b74f-47738117

"Browsers beware: The estimated monthly premiums on HealthCare.gov may be misleading.

The troubled federal website allows visitors to anonymously surf the site for exchange plans sold in their areas and provides them with estimated prices for each health plan.... But here’s the problem: The monthly premium estimates provided on the website do not consider a person’s specific age, household size or tobacco use – all critical factors when estimating premiums.

HealthCare.gov visitors using the site’s window-shopping tool are repeatedly told that “the final premium you pay may be lower, perhaps much lower, than the prices shown” once they fill out an application and apply for government subsidies. But what the site doesn’t say is that the actual premium may be higher, perhaps much higher, than the estimated premiums shown on the site.

We knew estimates would vary from the actual premiums once customers create an account, provide personal information and obtain accurate price quotes. HealthCare.gov discloses that on the page titled “How can I see Marketplace health plans and prices before I fill out an application?”

But we didn’t know how useless the website’s window-shopper tool can be for certain consumers.."

"repeatedly told that “the final premium you pay may be lower, perhaps much lower, than the prices shown” once they fill out an application and apply for government subsidies. But what the site doesn’t say is that the actual premium may be higher, perhaps much higher,"

fellas, it's a federal gov website. the message for consumers should be "the final premium may vary significantly from the priches shown."

once again, it's the used car salesman pitch. this is a fine example of why independents in particular are sending the popularity numbers tanking. they aren't necessarily against Obamacare, but enough already with the spin. we know the far right is nuts; so enough with the spin....
              I am working through this right now. Thankfully, I have an insurance person helping navigate the process. I went through the "window shopping" and saw a significant subsidy ($3600 approximately), which I am counting on. When we went through this last week, the insurance agent came back with an estimate of $720 for the year. We decided the best course of action was for me to finish the MNSure process to see what my actual subsidy will be. If it is the $720 for the year, I will be leaving my job to find something that can sustain my family.
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• and here I was gonna give Obama a break and come back and delete the post in honor of Thanksgiving!

well, best of luck to ITC and to all....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Thousands of New Yorkers who supported President Obama’s health plan are finding that their insurance plans are canceled and that they may have to accept inferior coverage.

"Many in New York’s professional and cultural elite have long supported President Obama’s health care plan. But now, to their surprise, thousands of writers, opera singers, music teachers, photographers, doctors, lawyers and others are learning that their health insurance plans are being canceled and they may have to pay more to get comparable coverage, if they can find it. [...]

It is not lost on many of the professionals that they are exactly the sort of people – liberal, concerned with social justice – who supported the Obama health plan in the first place. Ms. Meinwald, the lawyer, said she was a lifelong Democrat who still supported better health care for all, but had she known what was in store for her, she would have voted for Mitt Romney."

REALLY? A liberal lawyer would have voted for "the other guy" because she has to pay 5K more for slightly less quality coverage?

something odd about this story, and it's in the NY Times!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Why would that be odd? Many voters vote their wallets.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Why would that be odd? Many voters vote their wallets.

Ding ding
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• ACA may not be FEMA yet, but its thinking about it.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• I still hope this policy works, because if it does, it would be good for the country. But the earlier salesmanship on this thing seems to be the problem, no?

"Less than a quarter—24%—of uninsured Americans think the health care law is a good idea, and half think it’s a bad idea, according to a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll released Wednesday. That’s an 11-point dive in support from three months ago, when a September poll — before the troubled rollout of the HealthCare.gov marketplace –found that 35% of the uninsured thought it was a good idea, and 32% thought it was a bad idea.....

The law’s success depends on a balance of old, sick individuals and young, healthy ones. Should the people who are currently uninsured because they rarely require treatment not enroll in the new health care exchanges, insurers will be left with older, sicker patients who will drive up costs."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            I still hope this policy works, because if it does, it would be good for the country. But the earlier salesmanship on this thing seems to be the problem, no?

"Less than a quarter—24%—of uninsured Americans think the health care law is a good idea, and half think it’s a bad idea, according to a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll released Wednesday. That’s an 11-point dive in support from three months ago, when a September poll — before the troubled rollout of the HealthCare.gov marketplace –found that 35% of the uninsured thought it was a good idea, and 32% thought it was a bad idea.....

The law’s success depends on a balance of old, sick individuals and young, healthy ones. Should the people who are currently uninsured because they rarely require treatment not enroll in the new health care exchanges, insurers will be left with older, sicker patients who will drive up costs."
                            I have heard "You can keep your old plan." equated to "No new taxes." I am not sure I would go that far, but the issue has a lot of traction. With a mid term election coming up, that has to worry the DNC, because Lame ducks typically get shredded at mid terms. That said, Clinton was an exception. Like him, Obama was shredded at his first mid term. Unlike Clinton, the party is not being forced to rally around the President.

In other news, the deadline to file has been extended. Attempts approach 1 million applicants. Estimates of those losing coverage run past 5 million.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Well, I figured I needed to come back and share where I'm at with this whole thing.

This has been a rather frustrating experience to work through, and I am very fortunate to have a relationship with someone who has a qualified assistant for MNSure (Minnesota's insurance exchange). He and I met at least four times to talk through this. I am a pretty knowledgeable guy, and there are some things that I needed help understanding.

Side note...the second meeting we had was on Veteran's Day and the exchange was closed for a government holiday...what website works that way? Just an absolute waste of our time, and I felt bad for this guy trying to make a living.

In October, I sat down with the President of the Board of Directors for the non-profit I work and shared with him that I needed the organization to pay for a large portion of my health insurance, or I would be forced to seek employment elsewhere. His response was, "You tell me what you need. I will get it done." That was a very helpful step. I love where I work and what I do, so the idea of having to move to another place of employment wasn't something I wanted to do. I shared I needed $350/month to help cover the expenses. I didn't feel it right to ask for the full amount.

After looking at all the options and making some phone calls to learn about a particular plan, I was ready to make a purchase. My wife has a very expensive prescription. The generic runs about $600/month. We have been fortunate to have the reduced to $210/month. What the insurance will cover is obviously a very big concern. I called the insurance company was told it was in the formulary for generic drugs and should cost $10/month. I have to admit, I am still a little nervous about that, but we will see what happens when it needs to be filled next.

After entering in all the data (I am amazed at the vast amount of data the government stores...I had to really think about all the addresses I lived at while in college to answer the questions correctly), my wife and I are eligible for $91/month subsidy. My daughter is eligible for Medical Assistance though the state (shocked about this).

I selected a Gold Plan that costs just over $500/month with a $4,000 deductible. With the subsidy and the additional $350/month from my job, it looks like we will be paying out around $75/month. This is great news for us.

The process has been frustrating as I have been booted from the site or had error messages numerous times. Today, I thought I would give it one more time online, as being on hold for 2+ hours isn't something I was wanting to do. Low and behold, I was able to apply online. I will make my first payment in the coming days.

I will check back once I go to get that prescription filled for the first time.
                              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• interesting real-life observations, thanks for sharing and best of luck

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X