Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Holy cow!

I just completed the healthcare exchange application for my family.

Looks like we will be able to get coverage for $700/month ($8,400/year) cheaper if we stay with the same type of plan. We can even get the platinum coverage (the best offered) for about $350/month cheaper than we were paying. This coverage is eons better than what we have right now (my wife and I actually got separate policies to save money --- hers is bad and mine is brutally terrible).

Incredible. I'm super, super stoked.

Yes, the system was a mega pain in the ass and I kept getting errors. Looks like they've now been fixed (at least for me they were) and wow wow wow will we be saving a lot!

Edit: For reference, the cheapest plan for all three of us is about $230/month and the most expensive available to us is about $650/month. The least expensive "platinum" option, the highest tier of coverage, is about $540/month. We were paying close to $1000/month when we were all covered under the same plan provided by my wife's employer.
    Good for you...the more people that have your experience, and there will be millions, the sooner the tea party dies and goes away. Once people figure out that healthy people cost the Government less, we'll all be better off as a society.

Happy to hear that the whole family is now safely covered no matter what.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Holy cow!

I just completed the healthcare exchange application for my family.

Looks like we will be able to get coverage for $700/month ($8,400/year) cheaper if we stay with the same type of plan. We can even get the platinum coverage (the best offered) for about $350/month cheaper than we were paying. This coverage is eons better than what we have right now (my wife and I actually got separate policies to save money --- hers is bad and mine is brutally terrible).

Incredible. I'm super, super stoked.

Yes, the system was a mega pain in the ass and I kept getting errors. Looks like they've now been fixed (at least for me they were) and wow wow wow will we be saving a lot!

Edit: For reference, the cheapest plan for all three of us is about $230/month and the most expensive available to us is about $650/month. The least expensive "platinum" option, the highest tier of coverage, is about $540/month. We were paying close to $1000/month when we were all covered under the same plan provided by my wife's employer.
      BBBBBBUT THIS IS A BAD SYSTEM AND IT TAKES AWAY OUR FREEDOM OF CHOICE

Seems to me the only choice we previoiusly had was to be buttraped with our without lube by insurance providers

Comment

• I hope it works out well across the board
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Good for you...the more people that have your experience, and there will be millions, the sooner the tea party dies and goes away. Once people figure out that healthy people cost the Government less, we'll all be better off as a society.

Happy to hear that the whole family is now safely covered no matter what.
          It's so obvious it is truly astounding that such a sizable percentage of our fellow citizens are so ignorant and callous that they would go to such extremes to sabotage it.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• "President Barack Obama on Monday said there was "no excuse" for the cascade of computer problems that have marred the rollout of a key element in his health care law, but declared he was confident the administration would be able to fix the issues.

"There's no sugarcoating it," Obama said. "Nobody is more frustrated than I am.""

no sugarcoating it? clearly someone hasn't watched MSNBC for the past week or two

but yeah, there is time - not that you'd know it if you watched Fox News!
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              It's so obvious it is truly astounding that such a sizable percentage of our fellow citizens are so ignorant and callous that they would go to such extremes to sabotage it.
              +1 this....
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• having to change 5M lines of code & going 500% over budget is astounding mismanagement by the private company and the public PM's tasked with the project.

Comment

• it would have been cheaper to implement the single payer plan the House first proposed. Just sayin'

Comment

Glad to hear it. Should be cheaper and easier for you.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• $13 copays? What an odd number.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        $13 copays? What an odd number.
                        Prime, really.

Comment

Thanks. I really hope so. I was shocked at how much more the rates go up when your family goes from two people to three, pre-Obamacare. That's why I took myself off of my wife's plan and got the shitty one I have now.

The "platinum" plan we can get now is probably better than anything I've ever had (and I had pretty good insurance when employed at the utility).

$13 copays
                          $6000 annual maximum (for whole family)
                          $0 deductible
                          90% cost coverage
                          Routine dental, eye exam, various prescription drugs free, etc

$534.48/month for all three of us
                          So that's about $6500 annual coverage for a family of 3. How much would the same level of coverage cost annually under the fully private system?

You guys get a real shitty deal. American's pay as much tax as any other first world nation, and then you have to pay for private health insurance on top of that.

Fucking ideology.

Comment

The system is currently fully private, outside of Medicaid and Medicare. Not sure what you're asking.
                            I was just looking for some concrete comparative examples. Unless something changed, I'm pretty sure that subsidies via tax credits are provided for the lowest income brackets within the ACA. Anything that's subsidized with public money is not fully private in my book.

This whole episode has been interesting. I'm wondering now if the real narrative behind the GOP bandstanding was less about stopping the ACA, and more about making sure that this wasn't the first step in a "slippery slope" towards a more substantial publicly funded system ... causing a massive stink, including taking the nation to the brink of default, as a way to de-incentivize any future Dem Government from pursuing further healthcare reform ... lose the battle, win the war. Only time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              I was just looking for some concrete comparative examples. Unless something changed, I'm pretty sure that subsidies via tax credits are provided for the lowest income brackets within the ACA. Anything that's subsidized with public money is not fully private in my book.

This whole episode has been interesting. I'm wondering now if the real narrative behind the GOP bandstanding was less about stopping the ACA, and more about making sure that this wasn't the first step in a "slippery slope" towards a more substantial publicly funded system ... causing a massive stink, including taking the nation to the brink of default, as a way to de-incentivize any future Dem Government from pursuing further healthcare reform ... lose the battle, win the war. Only time will tell.
                              I'm still not convinced Obamacare wasn't a way to de-incentivize any future Dem Government from pursuing further helathcare reform. Time will tell, but it seems to me that there are too many people making a lot of money off our current healthcare system and it will be very hard to change based on that. Glad to see it is working out for El D, hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise (a surprise for me anyway).
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Currently, there is a huge subsidy of uninsured, as ER units and ambulances are abused to a jaw-dropping level. Anyone moved from the ER to a regular practitioner saves everyone a bundle - hospitals have massive liability because they have the ability to check for rare conditions, and they have a lot of equity.

It's revealing that this isn't been a major issue. I believe Republicans could have successfully targeted hospital liability, and in doing so significantly reduced the national cost of health insurance. But in doing so, they would have contributed to the success of health care reform.
                                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                                X