Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Name Every Band/ Musical Artist You've Seen Perform Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing Elvis Presley on Gregg's list - kudo's on that one.

Comment

i'll try to compose a list this weekend - work is slamming me too hard to do it before then. it will be hard to remember them all, as, like DMT, i was extremely drunk and stoned at many of them. i have stubs from the bigger shows, but when i was in pasadena for 6 years seeing pretty big name acts in small venues, there weren't any tickets . (one of those shows that comes to mind was seeing Blur in a small bar in hollywood. they had multiple full marshall stacks per performer in a venue that was tiny. i couldn't hear for 3 or 4 days after that!)
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Not all-inclusive, but here is what I came-up with off the top of my head…

Bryan Adams
        Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
        Chicago Symphony Orchestra
        Coldplay
        Genesis
        Green Day
        Gwen Stefani
        Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus)
        John Cougar Mellencamp
        Johnny B and the Leisure Suits
        Midnight Oil
        Pearl Jam
        Peter Gabriel
        Pink Floyd
        Pursuit of Happiness
        R.E.M.
        REO Speedwagon
        Smashing Pumpkins
        Styx
        The Airborne Toxic Event
        The Cure
        The Eagles
        The Fixx
        The Hooters
        The Jonas Brothers
        The Killers
        The Police
        The Replacements
        The Who
        The Wiggles
        Tom Petty
        U2

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          Hard to remember all of the shows, and I have a feeling that a lot of them are bands that no one (except maybe Bucky) has heard of, so I won't bother listing all of them, but here are some of the more mainstream ones:

Billy Joel
          Hall and Oates
          Paul Simon (2x)
          The Alarm
          The Fixx
          Living Color
          Primus
          Oingo Boingo
          James
          The Church
          Big Audio Dynamite
          PIL
          Guns n' Roses (3x)
          Soundgarden
          Metallica
          INXS
          Weezer (3x)
          Green Day (15-20x, pre-1996 or so)
          The Get Up Kids
          The Decemberists
          You should list them anyway, though I left off a ton of bands as well.

I saw Weezer too, forgot about that.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            When/where did you see Tsunami? They were great.

For me:

#1: Opening for PJ Harvey at the TLA in Philly, 1993
            #2: At the Khyber Pass Pub, essentially Philly's equivalent of CBGB, 1993
            #3: Opening for Jawbox at City Gardens in Trenton, 1994
            #4: Opening for Velocity Girl at the Trocadero in Philly, 1994
            #5: At the Khyber, 1995-ish
            I saw Velocity Girl, they played my college and it was around '94 so maybe Tsumani opened up there. After I posted that I saw them I was thinking it might have been Tuscadero, not Tsunami. cause they opened up for Weezer and the Archers of Loaf. So maybe I saw both.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              I didn't know you were a Gov't Mule fan. I've got a great copy of their show from a couple of years ago in Little Rock if you're interest.
              I like them but am not a die-hard; one of the three was at Farm Aid 2006. Quite a few of my friends are die-hards, so the other two were as much about seeing friends as the show. At one of them, I bumped into Bernie Worrell as I was heading to the bathroom. Sure enough, he jammed with them during the encore. No need to copy their show, I've got a big backlog of listening material already. But thanks for the offer.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Tori Amos (2003 or 2004) - I've seen her 3 times but the last time she was touring with Ben Folds and I actually fell asleep during her set. Strangely enough, I met someone a couple months ago who was at that same show who claimed she nearly fell asleep too.
                This reminds me, I had completely forgotten about the most random show I've ever been to.

A friend of mine owed me a favor because I had gotten him in to a sold-out Ween show. His then-wife was working for Clearchannel and through her he ended up with 2 tickets to a private gig at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. It was for the winners of a contest put on by Miller. Their prize was to be flown to NYC for this show, which had a combo you'd otherwise never see: Ben Folds, the Strokes, Cheap Trick, and Velvet Revolver. And Alice Cooper sat in for a few songs with Cheap Trick. So, more for my list.

That show is also notable because I don't think I've ever been more stoned than I was that night. My friend always partook of a strain that really knocked you for a loop, and he shared way too much of it with me that night.

Comment

I forgot about The Fixx. They were very good.

Geez, I forgot about what was maybe the best show I've ever seen...Tom Waits on the Small Change tour in 1977 at The Ritz Theater in Memphis. I actually got a copy of the show from a guy in Denmark about six years ago.

Geez, I forgot about Johnny Winter, too, in 1974. I really wasn't messed up for these shows, I just let them slip my mind.

Comment

As I recall, these were the best shows I ever saw:

The Dead Milkmen (in high school, around 1986)
                    Nine Pound Hammer (in college, around 1993)
                    At "The Horseshoe" in Toronto: The Smugglers, Duotang, Danko Jones, and a couple members of Pluto (around 1997).

Most popular acts I've seen would probably be Springsteen, REM and the Ramones.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Adding: The Call. Sonia Dada. And Cowboy Mouth (that was in inexcusable miss, I saw them only a year ago). And who opened for Cowboy Mouth... Dash Rip Rock.

Oooo, and The Radiators from Fresno Bob's list.

My best concerts list:

1) Camper Van Beethevon at The Boulder Theater (1989)
                      2) Stevie Ray Vaughan at Fiddler's Green (1990)
                      3) Flaming Lips/ Primus at Red Rocks (2011)

I dropped quite a bit of acid for #1 and #2. Coincidence?
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        I really liked Ben Harper's early stuff, and we went to see him in the early 2000's ... sadly it wasn't a very good show. We put it down to a one off bad show. So we arranged to go see him again a few years later, and we were so bored we left early. Apart from some shows at jazz venues that run until the early AM (meaning we'd miss our train), this was the only show I've ever left early, and the only one I've walked out off because it sucked.
                        Lamest shows I've been to:
                        1. Galactic
                        2. Ben Harper
                        3. Michael W. Smith
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Most disappointing (country shows (plus Bon Jovi/Nickelback) that my wife dragged me to excluded):

1. Vida Blue, Page from Phish's side band, was a snooze-fest to the extent that I almost really did fall asleep. Openers The Slip were far better.
                          2. I saw Robert Randolph in the midst of when he was first being hyped, and I didn't get the appeal at all. His songs were all similar and the arrangements were all repetitive.
                          3. Though I wasn't there to see them (they were opening for Teenage Fanclub), the biggest gulf between reputation and performance for me has to be Yo La Tengo. Their set was a brutal combination of sloppy playing and hipster posturing. I've never delved into their records as a result.
                          4. I did see one of Sonic Youth's opening sets for Neil Young in 1991, and it was as bad as its reputation. You could tell they just didn't want to be there. When I saw them again almost 20 years later, they were much better.
                          5. TAD's set when I saw them at a club in 1993 was so loud that you literally could not hear the vocals. It was as if Tad Doyle was lip synching. They were much better in a theater a year later, opening for Soundgarden.

Comment

Some more jam bands added after I checked the lineup from the inaugural Bonnaroo in 2002: Particle, Jurassic 5, Gran Torino, Donna the Buffalo, The Big Wu, Soullive, Amon Tobin, Acoustic Syndicate, Disco Biscuits, Drums & Tuba, Col. Bruce Hampton and The Codetalkers, Blind Boys of Alabama.

And Brian Jonestown Massacre, not sure how I forgot that, awesome show. There was a documentary about them called Dig that is worth seeing.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Most disappointing (country shows (plus Bon Jovi/Nickelback) that my wife dragged me to excluded):

1. Vida Blue, Page from Phish's side band, was a snooze-fest to the extent that I almost really did fall asleep. Openers The Slip were far better.
                              2. I saw Robert Randolph in the midst of when he was first being hyped, and I didn't get the appeal at all. His songs were all similar and the arrangements were all repetitive.
                              3. Though I wasn't there to see them (they were opening for Teenage Fanclub), the biggest gulf between reputation and performance for me has to be Yo La Tengo. Their set was a brutal combination of sloppy playing and hipster posturing. I've never delved into their records as a result.
                              4. I did see one of Sonic Youth's opening sets for Neil Young in 1991, and it was as bad as its reputation. You could tell they just didn't want to be there. When I saw them again almost 20 years later, they were much better.
                              5. TAD's set when I saw them at a club in 1993 was so loud that you literally could not hear the vocals. It was as if Tad Doyle was lip synching. They were much better in a theater a year later, opening for Soundgarden.
                              I've heard such awful things about Yo La Tango live and I never got into them so I never bothered going to a show. I think they opened up for the Archers of Loaf once but my friend who did see Yo La Tango refused to go into the club until they were done. So we hung out at a bar till it was time to see the Archers.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Some more jam bands added after I checked the lineup from the inaugural Bonnaroo in 2002: Particle, Jurassic 5, Gran Torino, Donna the Buffalo, The Big Wu, Soullive, Amon Tobin, Acoustic Syndicate, Disco Biscuits, Drums & Tuba, Col. Bruce Hampton and The Codetalkers, Blind Boys of Alabama.

And Brian Jonestown Massacre, not sure how I forgot that, awesome show. There was a documentary about them called Dig that is worth seeing.
                                Just realized, I have seen Col. Bruce with the Codetalkers as well as with ARU.

Comment

Working...
                                X