Feeding Your Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
    johnnya24 , your callin is still just an instigator. lol... your'e like switzerland dude. but it's interesting.
    You actually made me go to google to see if there actually is a medical research field associated with pet stem cell research

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      You actually made me go to google to see if there actually is a medical research field associated with pet stem cell research
      i wonder if it would be farther along if Bush didn't sort of ban it. i first heard it last year or the year before from it being really big in Japan.

on another note, i don't mean to be a dick but i also wouldn't exactly put feeding pets junk food in the same place as STILL being able to prevent a pet's spinal cord from being bruised and severed. and completely losing the ability to walk.

Comment

I had a dog die of cancer a few years ago. Fed her nothing but Iams. The vet told me he was seeing that a lot. Don't buy Iams.

Comment

i looked into this last night. because what im feeding my cat with CRF just is not cutting it. .. there is a lot more information for cats than dogs. i found that i was totally wrong about dry food. and raw food diets are really much better.

it's just really important that you include the stuff animals get that you don't see. that carnivores can't process themselves but get from eating herbivores or omnivores that already did for them.

for cats i found this site very good. it also includes links for dogs. this how you start before making you own food. you can order the drozen raw stuff with the essential ingredients before you learn how to do it yourself.

i recommnd people considering feeding their animal a raw diet read it.

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutritio...he-busy-person
          Commercial Frozen Complete Diets

These are diets that are complete as is. You don't need to add additional supplements. It is still a good idea to include variety in your cat's diet, so varying the type of meat fed is recommended.

Feline's Pride: A very good, grain and vegetable free complete diet. Antibiotic and preservative free. Available in chicken, turkey, Cornish hen and duck. They will ship direct to you or you can purchase from one of their distributors. My cats love this stuff! Their recipe is very close to the Feline Nutrition homemade recipe.
          Nature's Variety: Grain free complete foods for cats and dogs, hormone and antibiotic free. Be aware that their formulations do contain some fruits and vegetables, with a carbohydrate content of about 3%. Available in nuggets, patties, and chubs in chicken, beef, lamb, venison, rabbit and organic chicken. Sold at retail outlets. They also have a line of freeze dried complete foods.

Aunt Jeni's: Complete foods for cats and dogs. They use free-range meats, that are hormone and antibiotic free. Available in chicken, turkey, beef and rabbit. Please note that this product does contain some fruits, vegetables and seeds, and the carbohydrate content is around 3-4%. Available at retail outlets, or they will ship frozen if you are not in an area where it's available.

Primal: Offers formulas that are complete foods in chicken and salmon, beef and salmon, turkey, pheasant, quail and venison. The product comes in nuggets. Their complete formulas do contain some fruits, vegetables and seeds, but carb content is low at 1%. They use human-grade meat that is hormone, antibiotic and steroid free. Available at retail outlets.

Bravo: Offers complete foods in turkey, chicken and beef patties. Poultry is hormone and antibiotic free, and the beef is grass fed. Be aware that they do add some vegetables to their complete foods. Carbohydrate content is about 3%. Available at retail stores. They have a handy "How Much to Feed" Calculator on their site.

Rad Cat Raw Diet: All natural, free-range or pasture raised meats are used, hormone and antibiotic free. No grains or vegetables are used. Available in turkey, chicken or lamb. They also sell chicken neck and turkey gizzard treats. Mostly available on the west coast.
          im gonna do it.

Comment

believe it or not, it's actually cheaper to feed them better food.

..i could get into why that is, but thats a different subject and not the agenda here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
              I had a dog die of cancer a few years ago. Fed her nothing but Iams. The vet told me he was seeing that a lot. Don't buy Iams.
              im sorry for your loss. but cancer is so weird. i wouldn't blame Iams.

on the other hand it's very hard to find a vet that is against commercial pet food. and the reasons for that are long. .. you could go the Ron Paul way and say there is a commercial consipracy. or you could say there is reason that vets would not trust their own patients. because it's really hard to feed an animal, in a different setting, what it's has been genetically programmed for over 100's of thousands years... yet commercial pet foods can do this. but raw pet foods prepared right can be even better... it might be seem daunting at first but you don't need a degree to be able to do it. just effort. and it does pay off.

Comment

I think there were some issues with some of the Iams food a few years ago. But my memory is that they were resolved.

In any case, I guess my mutt didn't get the memo, because she will not eat Iams dry food. Or any dry food for that matter. And eating wet food all the time isn't good for her, plus it's more expensive. We try to pour a little wet food over the dry and that works to an extent.
                “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                  I think there were some issues with some of the Iams food a few years ago. But my memory is that they were resolved.

In any case, I guess my mutt didn't get the memo, because she will not eat Iams dry food. Or any dry food for that matter. And eating wet food all the time isn't good for her, plus it's more expensive. We try to pour a little wet food over the dry and that works to an extent.
                  I put an egg over the dry food every other day. My pups love it. If not, I mix in the wet with the dry and that does the trick.

my rottie eats everything. My jack russell is more picky. For example, she wont eat peanut butter in the AM but in the PM she cant get enough.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

That's the beauty of getting a rescue dog - the poor girl probably had to scavenge for food every day on the streets, so she's grateful for ANYTHING I give her (even tasteless table scraps like lettuce). I'm sure there are some advantages to the fancy diets, but I just don't have the discipline to follow through on something like that when doing a scoop a day is so much easier.

Comment

I have a rescue Greyhound that chews anything it finds on the floor and swallows most of it. Good times....

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        I have a rescue Greyhound that chews anything it finds on the floor and swallows most of it. Good times....
                        You're insane. Because you NEED something else with boundless energy in your life...
                        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          I put an egg over the dry food every other day. My pups love it. If not, I mix in the wet with the dry and that does the trick.
                          Good suggestion, and eggs are relatively cheap. I have been putting some green beans over her food and she loves that.

Hell, that mutt eats better than me!
                          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

it's actually amazing the stuff they have to put in pet food to simulate what they'd get in the wild. calcium very important. they eat the bones. so you just can't feed cats and dogs plain meat.

dry food is good when they are young but wet food better when you get older. i did see a lady bring in some kind of big (tall) bulldog to the vet one day. he was like 13 and looked really heathly. the vet asked what he ate. and she replied raw. and the vet went hmm. .. a dog that old that lady probably knew how to do it right. altough she didn't seem that smart to be honest.

dogs are easier than cats. they talk like, if a cat doesn't eat in 24 hours it can develop liver problems. housecats are the number one predator. their range of it's prey is large. maybe thats why those stray cats kill so many birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              I don't think every other day is a problem, but I did just find this:

Repeatedly adding raw eggs to a dog's diet can cause a deficiency of the vitamin biotin, which can lead to dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), loss of hair and poor growth.
                              -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X