How many RJers smoke cigarettes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I smoke em on occasion, like you--if someone gives me one and though i enjoy it somewhat at the time, I hate the day after taste. Fingers and mouth.

Cigarettes--never.
    +1, though it's been a few years that I've even touched a cigar; up here that trend is faded.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      +1, though it's been a few years that I've even touched a cigar; up here that trend is faded.
      It had faded when I was in San Diego and Idaho as well, but in Vegas, lots of people tend to be in celebratory moods and cigars are party of the vibe.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The Cost of Cigarettes is Too Damn High.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          What cigar company? I am enjoying one right now.

I smoke about 1 cigar a week. Then again this is my first one in about 3 weeks.
          JR Cigars

Comment

My lungs aren't very strong as it is, so smoking cigarettes has never done much for me.

Just got a new girlfriend who smokes though and I'm doing my darnedest to get her to quit. The health thing is important, but the smell/taste is the real killer.

Comment

I'm becoming a cigar fan.....but very picky on taste. My current favorite is Deisel, but I also like Carlos Torano and 5 Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                I'm becoming a cigar fan.....but very picky on taste. My current favorite is Deisel, but I also like Carlos Torano and 5 Vegas.
                Order some Nat Shermans out of New York, Gris-- great stuff. I miss the days when I worked near Union Square in Manhattan-- used to be a tiny cigar maker called May Rosa there. It was an old Cuban grandfather who left with his seeds in the days after Castro took over and established a plantation in Nicaragua. The father eventually moved to New York and the son ran the plantation, but the old man felt out of touch so he opened a tiny storefront just off Union Square where he and two women hand rolled cigars (and drank a lot of rum). He's long gone now, but man those were awesome cigars.
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Never smoked cigars or cigarettes my entire life. Parents both smoked (though my mom quit 20-30 yrs ago) so like a lot of others, I hated it growing up. Nothing worse than being trapped in a car for a 4-6 hr ride to one the home of one of the grandparents... My dad was like Lefty Ruggiero in "Donnie Brasco"...he hated to even crack the window while driving and non-stop smoking.

I have no doubt I will be one of those non-smokers who dies of lung cancer...much like my grandmother, married to my 2+pack a day grandfather. He had one of those cigarette rolling machines and I used to make his cigarettes with him when we visited.

Those were good times with my grandfather...the hospital visits when he was dying from emphysema and his funeral were not...
                  I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                  You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                  "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                  It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                    Others to try: Rocky Patel, Ashton (VSG is excellent, but quite pricey), CAO, Nub and Gurhka. You gotta read up on the specific cigar depending on your taste. Brands like 5 Vegas, CAO and Gurhka have so many lines -- from mild to full bodied that you may miss something you would really like because you avoid the brand because you had one you didn't like. Nub is real interesting in that they are real short (3" or 4") but fat (up to 66 ring) and last for an hour! Best prices I've found are from Cigarbid (part of Cigars International)
                    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                      Others to try: Rocky Patel, Ashton (VSG is excellent, but quite pricey), CAO, Nub and Gurhka. You gotta read up on the specific cigar depending on your taste. Brands like 5 Vegas, CAO and Gurhka have so many lines -- from mild to full bodied that you may miss something you would really like because you avoid the brand because you had one you didn't like. Nub is real interesting in that they are real short (3" or 4") but fat (up to 66 ring) and last for an hour! Best prices I've found are from Cigarbid (part of Cigars International)
                      Thanks Grinch. Yes, I've tried CAO. Pretty decent. There aren't too many that I don't like but since I smoke so infrequent, I'm not really gutsy on trying something new.

And yes, I buy from Cigar International....what is Cigar Bid, like an ebay of Cigar Int?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                        Order some Nat Shermans out of New York, Gris-- great stuff. I miss the days when I worked near Union Square in Manhattan-- used to be a tiny cigar maker called May Rosa there. It was an old Cuban grandfather who left with his seeds in the days after Castro took over and established a plantation in Nicaragua. The father eventually moved to New York and the son ran the plantation, but the old man felt out of touch so he opened a tiny storefront just off Union Square where he and two women hand rolled cigars (and drank a lot of rum). He's long gone now, but man those were awesome cigars.
                        Ok, I'll look into them. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I like to smoke about 2-3 cigarettes a month. I don't buy them but I'll bum one here or there.
                          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

So right now, non-smokers outnumber smokers 33-2. I wonder if that is truly representative of BullPen followers.

I am surprised that only 6 people (including me) answered that they used to smoke, but quit. Maybe it's because I'm older than the average Penner, but when I was in college a lot of us smoked, then later quit after graduation.

Comment

35 responders? That's probably representative of what's left of us. I smoke 1-2 cigarette a month, and only when I'm at a bar surrounded by smokers. I hate 2nd hand smoke and find that smoking a cigarette is less disgusting for me than having to breathe only 2nd hand smoke.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                35 responders? That's probably representative of what's left of us. I smoke 1-2 cigarette a month, and only when I'm at a bar surrounded by smokers. I hate 2nd hand smoke and find that smoking a cigarette is less disgusting for me than having to breathe only 2nd hand smoke.
                                I hated going to bars because of the smokers... Now, in Maine, there is no smoking in bars or restaurants
                                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                                X