House and Senate 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Any right wingers want to try their hand at defending the fact that Republicans just killed a Dem jobs bill for our country's veterans? Seems like another case of "we can't let Obama have even one victory" to me.
    Sight unseen, other possibilites could incude:

1) It was unfunded.
    2) It was funded by a tax increase.
    3) There are already similar programs in place addressing this need.
    4) It was a typical election season stunt of putting a popular-sounding bill up for a vote knowing there are provisions in it the other side can't possibly vote for in order to embarrass them.

Was there a Pay-Go kind of spending cut included in the bill to cover the cost?
    Last edited by senorsheep; 09-20-2012, 01:04 PM.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Audio of Brown/Warren debate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZMPMuIW8ns

Both are really solid debaters. The pace was frenetic. For what it's worth, I think Brown wins.
      Last edited by JudeBaldo; 09-21-2012, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
        Audio of Brown/Warren debate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZMPMuIW8ns

Both are really solid debaters. The pace was frenetic. For what it's worth, I think Brown wins.
        The debate or the election. This one is close.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          The debate or the election. This one is close.

J
          The election.

Comment

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell."
            -- Rep. Paul Broun [R Georgia], House Science Committee

Yes. House SCIENCE Committee.
            I hate peeples.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
              I hate peeples.
              I hate the purposefully stupid
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell."
                -- Rep. Paul Broun [R Georgia], House Science Committee

Yes. House SCIENCE Committee.
                For the life of me, I cannot understand how we got to the point where it's considered a bad thing to be educated and where it is easier to get elected if you hold these views.
                “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                  For the life of me, I cannot understand how we got to the point where it's considered a bad thing to be educated and where it is easier to get elected if you hold these views.
                  It's called "religion". It's like alcohol-- it doesn't have to be bad, but misuse it and you create hell on earth.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                    It's called "religion". It's like alcohol-- it doesn't have to be bad, but misuse it and you create hell on earth.
                    You mean like this?--

"Now I'm completely plwoed at the moment as a reuslt of my neighbor comign back from Japan tonight and giving me a dammed waterlglass of %&^&$*%^( aprciot soju to drink without tellign me that the %&^* is 180 proof, so my frame of mnid mitght be a bit off-- nobody should be thid drunk off of somethinf that tastes like aprico9ts... but waht do odds means whenh you can';t figure out the qusetion. We don';t undrerstand the universe, so putting odds onn things that occur within it is what....? Stupid. Just not a good idea, it isn';t. Dumb and bad too do whath you don't knoww about. Silly, like not smart from sdmart enough people."
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      You mean like this?--

"Now I'm completely plwoed at the moment as a reuslt of my neighbor comign back from Japan tonight and giving me a dammed waterlglass of %&^&$*%^( aprciot soju to drink without tellign me that the %&^* is 180 proof, so my frame of mnid mitght be a bit off-- nobody should be thid drunk off of somethinf that tastes like aprico9ts... but waht do odds means whenh you can';t figure out the qusetion. We don';t undrerstand the universe, so putting odds onn things that occur within it is what....? Stupid. Just not a good idea, it isn';t. Dumb and bad too do whath you don't knoww about. Silly, like not smart from sdmart enough people."
                      "Mix your own soju cocktails" bar just opened within walking distance of my house.....no apricots though
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Bill Nye the Science Guy has chimed in about Representative Broun's idiotic comments:

"Bill Nye slammed Rep. Paul Broun, (R-Ga.), for his comments about evolution, saying that Broun “is by any measure, unqualified to make decisions about science, space, and technology.” Broun, a member of the House Science Committee, had said in a recent speech that he believes theories about evolution are “lies straight from the pit of Hell.”

Nye also said “since the economic future of the United States depends on our tradition of technological innovation, Representative Broun’s views are not in the national interest.”"

These morons are the guys that Republicans are pushing to positions of leadership in our government. What do you think Broun's stance on "legitimate rape" is?

Both Broun and Akin are Republican members of the House Science Committee, as unbelievable as that would seem.
                        What a dimwitted rube. FWIW, I've written a letter to my college classmate (not that anyone I know remembers him) and former Representative, John Boehner, begging him to remove Broun from the Science Committee in order to not embarrass the House in general and Boehner's party in particular. I realize that my request will fall on deaf ears, as does anything written to one's Congressman, but I couldn't let this sh** go. Broun deserves to be on whatever committee the biggest dunces and backbenchers are exiled to.

Unfortunately, Boehner, like Ms. Pelosi, Mr. Reid, Mr. McConnell, and almost any politician in a position of power, would rather cling to that power than do the right thing. It has been years since there was more than a handful of men and women with honor on the national stage. Perhaps I'm romanticizing the politicians of my youth (some of whom were complete scoundrels, but many of whom functioned as real statesmen and leaders) or maybe I'm just getting older and more cranky, but the current crop of "leaders" all the way up makes me ill.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

• Neither Wisconsin Senate candidate comes remotely close to me liking them, but Thompson absolutely kicked Baldwin's butt in the final debate. In a close race, Baldwin really spit the bit in her final statewide televised opportunity to shine.

Heck, even the very, very left-leaning Madison Isthmus magazine concurred Baldwin was crushed by Thompson in the debate. When you lose to Tommy Thompson that badly....yeesh.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Crystal Ball predicts Republicans retain control of the House. http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...old-the-house/

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Crystal Ball predicts Republicans retain control of the House. http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...old-the-house/

J
                              And the Senate for Democrats:http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...final-weekend/

Going into the final weekend, Intrade has Democrat control at 71-18-8, the last being a 50/50 tie. For the House, Republican control 95-5.

Monday's Intrade numbers and the movement over the weekend will be the thing to look at, more than the polls. If there is any significant last minute movement, the polls will be too late.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Couple Senate races I'm interested in:
                                Hoping that McCaskill and Donnelly win big in Mo and IN. The country is ill served with folks like Akin and Mourdock in positions of power. In know knothing about Donnelly and think McCaskill is a pretty average Senator, but I will be rooting for both of them tonight.
                                On the GOP side, a couple of real long shots. I'm a big fan of former HI Gov. Lingle. Very moderate, very bright. Unfortunately, she has the misfortune of being on the ballot during a Presidential year when the most popular Hawaiian since King Kamehameha III is running. She will get crushed, but I hope to see her again.
                                I'm also rooting hard for Scott Brown. He too faces an uphill climb in spite of his very moderate record in Washington. My best hope for him might be Kerry becoming SOS, and him trying again in a special election in February. Were this not a Presidential election year, he would almost certainly be beating Warren, but asking a 100,000 Mass voters to split an Obama/Brown ticket is a bridge too far.
                                Looks like I'll get 2 wins and 2 losses tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X