A Model For How a Government Document Should Be Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Model For How a Government Document Should Be Done

Give this a read-- it's the Sailing Directions issued by the CNO, Admiral Greenert, to the Navy. If everything the government issued followed its model for clarity, brevity and statement of purpose we'd all be much better off.

"There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Not quite as pithy as "I have not yet begun to fight!"
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Two Bureaucrats discussing a bulliten board note, which reads, "Use Plain Language."

B1: Given the context, can you infer the operational parameters entailed in the new direactive.
      B2: It seems to indicate that optimize cognative through increased use of vernacular, but the specifiers are lacking.
      B1: I paln to issue a memorandum form circular, to seek claification of the intent, prior to rule promulgation.
      B2: Succintly phrased.
      B1: High praise, from a master. Beer?
      B2: Johnson's. 1730.
      B1: Later.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
      X