• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
    2.03 - down by the river
    Great pick ... was top of my list for 2.06.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky
    Guest replied
    i'm a wildcard in this draft because i have no sense of when songs "should" get taken, i just pick my favorite available song when it's my turn. obviously i like "dark and disturbed" neil, so there's a tell for you.
    Wildcard with good taste. Into the Black and Down By The River are certainly tap into that dark streak, which produces some of his best stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Cobain's Ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Aarrrggghhhh!

I am really surprised at what has come off the board so early. Each of the Big Three guitar extravaganzas (Cortez, Hurricane, River) go in the first eleven picks!

This was the debate with the missus. Cortez and Hurricane came off before we had a shot. Oh, well. That shows how many great Neil Young tunes there are out there, but it also shows that we are drafting against some hard core Neil fans.
    i'm a wildcard in this draft because i have no sense of when songs "should" get taken, i just pick my favorite available song when it's my turn. obviously i like "dark and disturbed" neil, so there's a tell for you.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky
    Guest replied
    2.03 - down by the river

i implore you to watch this clip - neil playing it live, just him and his distorted electric guitar. so epic.
    Aarrrggghhhh!

I am really surprised at what has come off the board so early. Each of the Big Three guitar extravaganzas (Cortez, Hurricane, River) go in the first eleven picks!

This was the debate with the missus. Cortez and Hurricane came off before we had a shot. Oh, well. That shows how many great Neil Young tunes there are out there, but it also shows that we are drafting against some hard core Neil fans.

Leave a comment:

• overkill94
    replied
    2.04 - "Harvest Moon" (1992, Harvest Moon)

Not one of the most "important" songs in Neil's catalog, but damn does this song make me happy. It didn't occur to me until I saw the Heart of Gold documentary a couple years back that the sound in the background is an actual broom being swept across the floor.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky's wife
    Guest replied
    [QUOTE=Cobain's Ghost;27676]2.03 - down by the river

Oh no...Lucky will be disappointed this one is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Cobain's Ghost
    replied
    2.03 - down by the river

i implore you to watch this clip - neil playing it live, just him and his distorted electric guitar. so epic.

Leave a comment:

• overkill94
    replied
    Damn, Rust Never Sleeps was one of the albums I was going to lean on heavily but apparently all the songs will be gone by the time my second pick rolls around! "Pocahontas" is another favorite of mine, but there's at least a couple more songs off that album I'll hopefully get.

Leave a comment:

• ManCalledFoot
    replied
    2.02 Pocahontas (Rust Never Sleeps, 1979)

Way back when I made a cassette mix from all my college roommate's Neil albums, filled it with my favorites, called it "Rust". It filtered down to both my brothers eventually; that tape kicked around between us for years. This brings back good memories of the three of us working summers house-building in upstate New York, shirts off, up on roofs, beat-up old tape deck covered in plaster and sawdust. My older brother Chris thought 'Pocahontas' was the greatest song ever... I didn't argue.

Leave a comment:

• Mithrandir
    replied
    The Lucky family with two awesome picks. "After..." has always been in my top 5 Neil tunes. Another of his songs that transports my mind to another place when i hear it.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky
    Guest replied
    2.01 The Needle And The Damage Done (Harvest, 1972)

There is so much truth and reality in Neil's songs, especially the early ones, and this is a prime example. I was hesitant to jump on the Harvest bandwagon, but this one had to be selected.

I am a tremendous fan of Neil's longer, rambling pieces, yet we picked two short songs to start out. They both are so finely crafted, though, that they say all they need to in a very short time.

Leave a comment:

• Erik
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    There are some songs which, when I hear them being played, cause me to stop whatever I am doing and listen. This is one of those songs.
    Ditto. Whenever I hear it live I get chills. I especially love the versions from the 1999 tour where he started it on piano and switched to pump organ halfway through. I could do without all the bikers roaring whenever he sings "and I felt like getting high," though. Come on, the song is 40 years old, lyrics about drugs are no longer a novelty.

Leave a comment:

• ManCalledFoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Erik View Post
    ...will anyone dare take There's a World?
    One of my favorites! You can't lay orchestration on too thick for me.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky
    Guest replied
    1.08 After The Gold Rush (After the Gold Rush, 1970)

This is Alice's first pick, and a good one, IMO.

There are some songs which, when I hear them being played, cause me to stop whatever I am doing and listen. This is one of those songs.

Neil claims he doesn't know what this song is about, but I think that is Neil being Neil. This song pulls at so many heart strings, and probably means something different to everyone who hears it. That may be why Neil didn't want to limit it to his own interpretation.

Leave a comment:

• Erik
    replied
    Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Friend of mine back in the late 70's felt this was the "hardest rocking" song in music history.
    He has a case. I have an interesting story about the loudness of side 2 of RNS that I'll get to at some point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X