CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    I don't know anything about bourbon, what kind do you suggest?
    Louis IX is the ultimate Bourbon
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Unfortunately I need both my kidneys........
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Whatever happened to Julio Borbon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Whatever happened to Julio Borbon?
          I think the French Revolution sent him to AAA.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'm partial to Maker's Mark as a good middling bourbon, but go to the back of the shelf for the special edition woodford reserve from time to time.

BTW as an aside, for a great road trip (well, maybe not if you're on the west coast), the bourbon trail in Kentucky is a fun few days.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Maker's Mark is in my cabinet, but mostly for my family. If I were buying it just for cooking and drink mixing, I'd get Jim Beam.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• The wife enjoys Makers on occasion, I can kill two birds......
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I can kill two birds......
                  When stoned?

Comment

I thought raw hamburger had a different name ? From Wisconsin if I recall
                    Steak Tartare. The first time I ever saw anyone eat it was at a restaurant in Brussels. It was raw ground beef with various herbs added, plus a raw egg yolk. My wife and I saw it being prepared and thought it looked like it was going to be delicious...until they brought it to the table and served it uncooked. They made the presentation look really good and several people ordered it throughout the night, so I guess it’s much more popular in Belgium than I’d have imagined raw hamburger meat could be. I’ve seen it on a few menus but I’ve never seen it served at a restaurant here in the U.S. though.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                      Steak Tartare. The first time I ever saw anyone eat it was at a restaurant in Brussels. It was raw ground beef with various herbs added, plus a raw egg yolk. My wife and I saw it being prepared and thought it looked like it was going to be delicious...until they brought it to the table and served it uncooked. They made the presentation look really good and several people ordered it throughout the night, so I guess it’s much more popular in Belgium than I’d have imagined raw hamburger meat could be. I’ve seen it on a few menus but I’ve never seen it served at a restaurant here in the U.S. though.
                      I had that twice in France, although if was thin cut beef, not hamburger. I think if it were hamburger that would be a strange texture
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Yeah, though I am all good with sashimi I. I'm a big no on the raw meat dishes

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I had that twice in France, although if was thin cut beef, not hamburger. I think if it were hamburger that would be a strange texture
                          I thought that thin sliced raw beef was carpaccio, not tartare.
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                            I thought that thin sliced raw beef was carpaccio, not tartare.
                            Maybe so...what I had was called tartare, texture was not really like raw hamburger. Diced or minced probably a better description. Really lean too
                            Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 04-17-2021, 03:42 PM.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Maybe so...what I had was called tartare, texture was not really like raw hamburger. Diced or minced probably a better description. Really lean too
                              This sounds correct - French steak tartare is made with minced high quality beef (often filet mignon). Beef carpaccio is made with tenderloin and sliced very thin (~ 1mm slices). US/Midwestern steak tartare is typically made with high quality, but finer, ground beef.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                This sounds correct - French steak tartare is made with minced high quality beef (often filet mignon). Beef carpaccio is made with tenderloin and sliced very thin (~ 1mm slices). US/Midwestern steak tartare is typically made with high quality, but finer, ground beef.
                                I've had good quality tartare and while it was decent it didn't make me need to have it again. Nice carpacio tho, that I do enjoy. And for those who don't know what 1mm is, you should be able to read a newspaper through it.

Comment

Working...
                                X