SoCal - Escondido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal - Escondido

I saw Friarfan posting & remembered that he's from SoCal ...

I'll be spending a week in Escondido (southern California) in early Jan. The in-laws have a timeshare that they'll be using there for a week, and we got invited for a free stay. I'm still not sure it's the right move ... it's a week with the in-laws ... but we'll see.

So anyway, I'll need a few distractions. Anything to see? Should we plan a day or two in San Diego? or seven???

Any intel appreciated.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Escondido is a suburb east of San Diego. It's a nice place although you won't necessarily find a ton to do there (be glad you're coming in January and not in the Summer when it gets very hot). But you can easily make day trips into Downtown and Coastal San Diego (about 45 minutes away - a lot of people live in Escondido and commute in) and I'd definitely recommend going further east into Palm Springs for a day or two. Let me know if you have other questions.

Comment

Stone Brewing is there. It's a nice brewery to visit with good food.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

You're 30-35 minutes from the Temecula area, which has a number of wineries and nice restaurants; you're also only about 30 minutes from the Carlsbad beach area, which i think is one of the nicest in SoCal - relative to a number of other areas, parking isn't too hard, and sunset views are great. There's also a couple of good to very good places to eat within easy walking distance of the beach and beach parking.

As TS Garp noted, Palm Springs would be something different, but it is almost a 2-hour haul, even in good traffic, from Escondido.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the insights. If anyone local is interested in a pint or two let me know.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            Thanks guys, appreciate the insights. If anyone local is interested in a pint or two let me know.
            Let me know if you make it closer to the coast.

Comment

Escondido itself doesn't have much but you can do the usual San Diego sights - the zoo, Gaslamp district, Legoland if you have kids, etc. Plus, like others have said, there are plenty of breweries/wineries nearby if that's your thing. I go down that way for work sometimes so let me know the dates and maybe we can share a pint if it all works out.

Comment

Escondido is my hometown! I currently live in Fallbrook - about 20 minutes north of Esco. You say it's a timeshare? I assume in Lawrence Welk Village? If so, that's extreme North Escondido and closer to me in Fallbrook.

You know what's great to do in Escondido? Get the hell out. ;-)

Esco is home of the Wild Animal Park (what the locals still call it - nowadays known as the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park). It's a nice little day with the family. Seeing animals in their more "natural" environments. Prepare for lots of hilly-type walking.

As Bucky pointed out Esco is the home of Stone Brewery (of course he points out the brewery). Good food and nice atmosphere. Sitting in the outside garden area in January in the evening might be a bit chilly but gorgeous in the afternoon.

Since you're going in January 'Crusing Grand' will not be going on - Every Friday night, it's a classic car gathering on the main st. in downtown Esco.

Other than that, not much else in Esco - unless you want to brush up on your tagging skills and get jumped in to the El Diablos.

San Marcos/Vista - neighboring Esco to the West - has become a Microbrewery heaven.

Carlsbad/Oceanside are due west - about 30 minutes. Nice beaches and restaurants/shops. Legoland is in Carlsbad (right by my office).

Anaheim is just a litttle over an hour to the north - Disneyland, (mighty) Ducks hockey. Knott's Berry Farm Amusement park is about 15 more minutes north of that.

Downtown San Diego is about a half an hour south of Esco - Gaslamp district (restaurants/shops/homeless people)

Mission Bay/Pacific Beach is just to the north/west of downtown - Sea World, beaches, bars, Belmont Park and boardwalk and freaky people.

I'd love to meet up for a pint or ten. PM me when it gets closer...

Comment

Working...
                X