Moments You Began Feeling Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moments You Began Feeling Old

There are lots of feeling "old" milestones. For me, literally having clothes older than my the college students I teach (this year's class is officially the first post-millennial one, as they were all born after 2000), having young people call me sir, not being able to keep up with my young sons, etc.

I just realized one today--once Bartolo Colon retires, I will be older than all active baseball players for the first time in my life.

Anyone have any other moments to add to the list of "times when you began feeling old"?

Anyone that remembers Colon as a rookie in Cleveland has a right to feel old. I remember listening to the Royals when they employed H Rush "Rusty" Limbaugh, though i never heard of him at the time.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Mountain biking makes me feel old and slow. Internally, I feel I've lost that '2nd gear'.

Being 35, realizing my wife and I only have a few years left to have a baby (called a 'geriatric pregnancy,' haha) really makes me feel old.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

the point when I realized that I should exercise/stretch not to get better, but just to maintain.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

The point where I realized I should not jump off of things higher that two feet.

Ladders, stairs, loading docs, decks etc are not wise for my ankles and knees.

Also my days of volunteering to help people move (I preferred the heavy stuff rather than the many trips of little or light stuff) are pretty much over.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            The point where I realized I should not jump off of things higher that two feet.

Ladders, stairs, loading docs, decks etc are not wise for my ankles and knees.

Also my days of volunteering to help people move (I preferred the heavy stuff rather than the many trips of little or light stuff) are pretty much over.
            Yes, to all of these. We were just out in Boston and spent a day on the coast. We climbed a rock formation, not more than 10-12 feet. Getting up it wasn't hard. Traversing getting down sucked.

Moving is a young person's game. I have a sister-in-law that would move her family almost every three years. Literally, I would get a phone call, "Hey we're moving next weekend. When can you get her to help?" I decided 4-5 years ago my answer was going to be, "As soon as you're all done and cracking beers and having pizza."
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Every time I start to get back up after sitting on the floor with my kids.

Comment

I have "severe osteoarthritis."

I didn't even know it, because luckily my pain receptors are very dull. So I get around just fine.
                But do I feel it all the time. well, they don't call it "Tin Man Syndrome" for nothing.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Getting a postcard in the mail saying "25 year reunion" and telling my wife I can't believe it has been 25 years since high school. She says "No, it is from your college, not your high school".
                  Getting an invite from my daughter in law to a surprise birthday party for my son. His 30th birthday party.
                  Being told a retirement planner is coming to talk at my workplace. With the addition of "you'd probably want to attend".

ETA - reading a post about how men are most desirable at 50 and realizing I missed the boat.

Comment

Unusual morning. Just bought a newspaper along with a cup of coffee with a $5 bill, 1st one in many years, since cell phone I have the interwebs so why waste money on a paper, but I forgot my phone today. Came to just over $5, I said to register person that cant be right, but turns out Sun Sentinel is $2.34. I swear last time I bought a paper it was pocket change, maybe 60 cents. I mumbled I cant believe how expensive paper is now. HS kid Cashier said, Ive got you covered Sir.
                    Sigh. Anyhoo, Went to park to read my paper, that I havent had in so many years, drink my coffee, gem of a day. Bench was occupied, sat on hard ground overlooking a couple hills and lawn guy driving around mowing. Weird, uncomfortable to sit cross legged, and try to read paper. I used to sit like this without even thinking about it, now 1 minute and I feel it in knee. Lemme just read in truck. Hmm, Hard to stand up from that position. I think I let out an audible "oy". This coffee is too bitter, I am going to get heartburn from this later. Ah, my trusty truck, put this in a the drink holder. Oh damn it to all, I locked keys in truck.
                    Yeah, today was a day I felt my age, and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                      Getting a postcard in the mail saying "25 year reunion" and telling my wife I can't believe it has been 25 years since high school. She says "No, it is from your college, not your high school".
                      Getting an invite from my daughter in law to a surprise birthday party for my son. His 30th birthday party.
                      Being told a retirement planner is coming to talk at my workplace. With the addition of "you'd probably want to attend".

ETA - reading a post about how men are most desirable at 50 and realizing I missed the boat.
                      Ha, all of these were gems. At least age hasn't dulled your sense of humor .

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                        Unusual morning. Just bought a newspaper along with a cup of coffee with a $5 bill, 1st one in many years, since cell phone I have the interwebs so why waste money on a paper, but I forgot my phone today. Came to just over $5, I said to register person that cant be right, but turns out Sun Sentinel is $2.34. I swear last time I bought a paper it was pocket change, maybe 60 cents. I mumbled I cant believe how expensive paper is now. HS kid Cashier said, Ive got you covered Sir.
                        Wow, is that how much the Sun Sentinel is now?! And that is for a weekday?! I used to sell subscriptions of it and back then it was 25 cents for a weekday, a buck for a Sunday edition. I am surprised it has gone up that much, as the real money makers are ads.

Sucks about the keys too--they need to get to biometric entry on cars as standard at some point.

Comment

when my company got bought out...

I came into my last company in my early 30s and was "one of the kids" We had very little turnover, and though i aged on the outside, everyone was getting older and I stayed sort of one of the kids there (not great for my career, but good work life balance)... Now we are working for a company where the average age is 27 and I am the second oldest left in our team (the other is also a transplant). I'm older than any of the partners in this group even, and I'm 4 out of 5 steps below that. I joke that I aged 20 years the day we got bought, but that's really how it feels.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I used to be proud of being born in 1970, rather than most of my friends who were born in 1969. I always felt like the kid. When I started my first job after college (at Lehman Brothers), I was days away from turning 22 and the brokers I worked with were horrified at how young I was.

I can recall one instance when a doctor's assistant asked for my birthdate and the woman said wistfully "Wow! I remember that year......" Now, when asked my birthdate recently, the doctor's assistant who asked clearly wasn't born yet, but I'd wager her MOTHER may not have been born yet, either.

Comment

"When i could only have sex 5 times a day"
                              - Fresno Bob
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X