The name calling thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
    Perhaps an odd time to mention it, but I generally admire your punchy, professional prose.
    if you are serious, then that raises the number to 2, if not, step off my dick!
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      if you are serious, then that raises the number to 2, if not, step off my dick!
      Your vote doesn't count
      --------------------------------------
      You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        So why do words shock you? No one said it was cute. it's a word. it's an adjective. it's a noun. it's an exclamation. But ooh it means a "dirty" thing.
        Manners and decorum.

Ever sit down to a nice meal in a restaurant and have the table next to you be extra loud and foul? It takes away some of the enjoyment.

The "just words" as you say can be pretty rough. Just lake the three or four roughest words described in this thread and picture them being used over and over by the table next to you.

What about your daughter's Science teacher using the casually while he teaches? Would you be up for that?

How someone in your library walking around whispering them to your visitors? Hey this gives me an idea on how we could play a prank on you. Anyone up for a road trip?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          I think non-slur curse words are something where there are a lot of different religious, cultural and geographic subcultures that have completely different perspectives. Cursing a situation rather than a person barely even draws notice in the NY Metro Area, and even cursing a person when the tone is clearly not hateful or aggressive, is more a sign of intimacy and comfort than disrespect.
          Gregg, I'm quoting my own earlier post in response to yours immediately above. I think it's very contextual. The circumstances you describe are public/business/transactional types of environments, rather than private conversations among intimates. In the educational world, and in some cases outside of it, we talk about the importance of being able to "code switch", which basically means knowing when to adopt more formal, polite and/or transactional modes of communication and when to adopt more cultural, familiar, intimate, informal modes of communication. That's why I don't see a disconnect with Mith saying that he's fine with his daughter swearing at home but wants her to understand when not to do so. An ability to code switch effectively is a pretty good skill to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Manners and decorum.

Ever sit down to a nice meal in a restaurant and have the table next to you be extra loud and foul? It takes away some of the enjoyment.

The "just words" as you say can be pretty rough. Just lake the three or four roughest words described in this thread and picture them being used over and over by the table next to you.

What about your daughter's Science teacher using the casually while he teaches? Would you be up for that?

How someone in your library walking around whispering them to your visitors? Hey this gives me an idea on how we could play a prank on you. Anyone up for a road trip?
            Who said anything about loud and foul language at a dinner? And even if they didn't use foul language, it would still take away the enjoyment. For example: The people at the next table keep saying "What a lovely meal and I love you all" over and over very loudly. That's just as annoying. See i can create absurd scenarios too!

As for the Science teacher. If he/she casually says, "Man they keep fucking with Pluto! Is it a planet or not"? I wouldn't care.

As for the library scenario, if someone goes around whispering anything to my "visitors", even "Praise be the Lord Jesus", they would still be out of line. In fact that might be more upsetting to some people
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Gregg, I'm quoting my own earlier post in response to yours immediately above. I think it's very contextual. The circumstances you describe are public/business/transactional types of environments, rather than private conversations among intimates. In the educational world, and in some cases outside of it, we talk about the importance of being able to "code switch", which basically means knowing when to adopt more formal, polite and/or transactional modes of communication and when to adopt more cultural, familiar, intimate, informal modes of communication. That's why I don't see a disconnect with Mith saying that he's fine with his daughter swearing at home but wants her to understand when not to do so. An ability to code switch effectively is a pretty good skill to have.
              I have not heard of "code switch." I certainly have done it, didn't know it had a name.

It has been by observation that the skill of code switch seems to lacking more and more as time goes by. I am thinking that this is because we "practice" saying what ever we want when ever we want. Most skills take some practice to get good at them.

Comment

I have not heard of "code switch." I certainly have done it, didn't know it had a name.

It has been by observation that the skill of code switch seems to lacking more and more as time goes by. I am thinking that this is because we "practice" saying what ever we want when ever we want. Most skills take some practice to get good at them.
                Agreed, but they also need to be consciously taught, like Mith says he's doing with his daughter. She clearly knew not to drop f-bombs when she was interviewed for the local TV news broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Who said anything about loud and foul language at a dinner? And even if they didn't use foul language, it would still take away the enjoyment. For example: The people at the next table keep saying "What a lovely meal and I love you all" over and over very loudly. That's just as annoying. See i can create absurd scenarios too!

As for the Science teacher. If he/she casually says, "Man they keep fucking with Pluto! Is it a planet or not"? I wouldn't care.

As for the library scenario, if someone goes around whispering anything to my "visitors", even "Praise be the Lord Jesus", they would still be out of line. In fact that might be more upsetting to some people
                  Good post.

I do agree that I am old enough and cranky enough (like you) that very loud talking is annoying. Where I differ is that foul language or anger is much worse. I would correct you in the absurd scenario comment it is not absurd as I have experienced it on several occasions.

If I was 13 and had a Science teacher that made that statement I would have thought I had the coolest teacher on the planet. Now not so much.

Regarding the Library, I think it would be a blast if a couple of us could surprise you and prank you for a few minutes. We could go out and break some bread and maybe go bowling after you threw us out.

Comment

Good post.

I do agree that I am old enough and cranky enough (like you) that very loud talking is annoying. Where I differ is that foul language or anger is much worse. I would correct you in the absurd scenario comment it is not absurd as I have experienced it on several occasions.

If I was 13 and had a Science teacher that made that statement I would have thought I had the coolest teacher on the planet. Now not so much.

Regarding the Library, I think it would be a blast if a couple of us could surprise you and prank you for a few minutes. We could go out and break some bread and maybe go bowling after you threw us out.
                    I would love the prank thing!! And the bowling
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Agreed, but they also need to be consciously taught, like Mith says he's doing with his daughter. She clearly knew not to drop f-bombs when she was interviewed for the local TV news broadcast.
                      I can't help wonder if I never used salty language, if I would need to code switch?

I also need to say I apparently conveniently forgot that I call refs and umpires names on a fairly regular basis.

Comment

I can't help wonder if I never used salty language, if I would need to code switch?

I also need to say I apparently conveniently forgot that I call refs and umpires names on a fairly regular basis.
                        Almost everyone does it in one way or another, e.g., talking to your family vs taking to your boss or your client/customer or writing a business letter vs posting on RotoJunkie.

Comment

Almost everyone does it in one way or another, e.g., talking to your family vs taking to your boss or your client/customer or writing a business letter vs posting on RotoJunkie.
                          Or my favorite; Mrs. Gregg and I are in the middle of a heated argument, the phone rings and she sweetly says Hello.

Comment

Working...
                          X