My dad has been in the hospital for 7 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad has been in the hospital for 7 days

Two heart attacks and at least one stroke. He went in with chest pains and was having a heart attack. Everything beyond the first heart attack happened while in the hospital which is so frustrating.

I've been going to the hospital every day to spend time with him but he's being kept somewhat sedated and I'm not sure he's aware I'm there very much. The longer he stays there, they less hopeful I'm feeling and getting more stressed with every passing day.

I have a very long rant I can go on about the idiots in the hospital but not in the mood right now...

Sat - chest pains, goes in, they put a stent in, he's ok, ready to go home but they want to monitor him
    Sun - early in the morning after we've gone home happy that things are ok, his blood pressure skyrockets, has second heart attack due to lots of clots forming around the stent. We weren't with him at that time, around 1 - 3 am but they said he had been in a very dangerous condition and we assume that means close to dying and the blood we saw on his face and gown made me think things must have been crazy as they worked to save his life. Around 7 am he takes a ride in life flight to the main Methodist hospital in the medical center near downtown Houston. Later this day we get to see him but he's barely there, just wants to rest. Doesnt remember we were there when we ask the next day.

Mon - feeling a lot better, made some dad jokes. Tells everyone (friends and me) to take care of my mom. So he's very coherent. We go home feeling ok again.

Tue - has a very headache. Asks me 20 times how to make a call on his cell phone. Doesnt know how to wake up phone, cant find the number to their house, I ask who does he need to call he gets mad at me says it doesnt matter. We go through this over and over, each time he seems to run out of energy to keep trying but then starts again in a couple minutes with the same question asking me how to make a call. Finally with a lot of help he's able to call their house. I think I pushed most of the things on the screen for him. I ask who he's calling, he says your mother. She is standing right next to me on the side of the bed and who was talking to dad and and holding his hand right before. I tell the nurse that he's extremely confused and cant see and agitated and has a terrible headache and all they do is say they will check with the doctor and sometime later will tell us they've already given pain medicine, headache medicine, etc. Say he's like that because of the really strong pain meds they gave him earlier when they took the balloon out of his leg.

At 8pm I request a doctor, the PA finally comes over, I explain everything, he does a test where my dad has to hold out his arms, wiggle toes, etc. A neuro test of some sort... PA says he seems to be ok but if the confusion continues, a CT or MRI will be needed. Says ICU delirium is a real thing and thinks thats what this is. At this point my dad is really sleepy, barely knows we're there. I trusted that they know more than me.

Wed - Dad is yelling at me to give him some headache meds we brought that the nurses/dr's say he cant have. I keep telling him I cant because I trust that the hosp staff is right. He's just squirming around in pain, cant open his eyes, same confusion as yesterday. Stupid nurses keep saying he's had his pain meds, cant have more and that they dont see the confusion he's having. I keep saying this isnt my dad anymore, he's completely different. One look in his eyes tells me all I need to know that he's not normal. I push for the MRI/CT scan but everything I ask for has to work its way up the chain from the bedside nurse and never seems to get anywhere.

We get excited that he's been moved to a room! Yay! But in the room he's exactly the same. ICU delirium did not fade, they must have been wrong. Complains that he wants to die rather than continue with the headache. Doesnt understand what he's being told to do by the nurse, or is hard headed which is typical of him. Hard to tell if the headache is causing the confusion, or if something else is causing both. I keep asking the new nurse why he's like this. They give him muscle relaxants. Keeps his eyes closed and sleeps on and off for hours, I assume the muscle relaxants are making him sleep. He wants badly to stand up, so we get help, not supposed to let him stand. Two nurses help him but he's so dizzy, weak, and disoriented that he cant, back to bed.

I again ask for the MRI, I ask for a doctor, anyone to come over and take a look. Actually I waited until 6pm thinking someone would show up, no one did, then I asked around. I'm told he had an MRI of his head monday and it was fine. We leave for the night because we're tired and really need sleep, badly. That evening, after my kids stopped fighting and went to bed I started to think about that MRI. Why would an MRI on monday, when he had no symptoms, mean anything on Wed when his symptoms started Tuesday? I've been so low on sleep I'm not thinking straight anymore, but I finally told my wife, I think my dad is having or going to have a stroke. I went to bed thinking that tomorrow I would find someone to listen to me about this.

My mom calls me right after I went to bed and tells me my dad had a stroke and we head back to the hospital.

Will add more later, gotta go see dad now. Sorry for typos, really in a hurry and getting very mad as I type this. Will have edit later.

"The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Sorry to hear what your dad, you and your family are going through, cbb. I find it's nearly impossible to spend any amount of time in a hospital, whether for oneself or for a loved one, without getting mad and distressed. And of course nothing is more infuriating than seeing a loved one getting worse in a hospital rather than getting better. And it never seems like any hospital is staffed well enough to provide not only the medical care but also the support and communication that patients and their families need. Best wishes.

Comment

It was heart-wrenching to read this. Praying for better days ahead.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

So sorry—hang in there. Hope your Dad is able to make a positive turn asap. Best wishes to your family

Comment

Sorry to hear, sounds incredibly frustrating.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Just horrible. I went through something similar with my dad a decade ago. Best wishes.

Comment

So sorry to hear that. I hope things get better.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah, this sucks. As someone whose dad had alzheimers for 13 years and a mother who had a stroke last year, I really hope he fully recovers.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

There is nothing worse than seeing someone you love suffer, knowing they need help, but not being able to help, and on top of that having others (hospital staff) who may be able to help not listen to you and seem not to care. I'm so sorry you and your family has had to go through this and I hope your dad, who sounds like a tough guy, can pull through these traumas and get well again.

Comment

Best thing that you can do is to be his advocate with the Medical people...they tend to try to subtly bully-boy their way around things, but you don't have to let them do so.

Best wishes that your Dad get better...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

CBB- very sorry for your family going through this. I pray your dad rallies quickly
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

This is a very tough time. I am sorry to hear this is happening and hope everything works out for your family. My dad had a stroke and it was a very difficult time with so many decisions that I didn't know anything about. A lot of confusion and emotions -- just do the best you can and know we all are wishing the best for you.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I hope that your father soon makes a full recovery.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad. Best wishes to you and yours.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Sorry to hear this. It's been just over 2 years since my dad went in for a aortic valve replacement and never came out. the downfall was so sudden, I wasn't able to get there in time from NC

Comment

Working...
                              X