Milestone Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milestone Anniversary

I tell people I am not good at marriage. I've only done it once. Judith thinks that next year is worth a special effort in commemoration. For a while, she suggested taking long ride on Amtrack with sleeper cars. Now she is thinking of a three day trip to San Antonio.

This is not until next spring. Any thoughts.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Congrats!

I have been to San Antonio many times.

it's one of those "tale of two cities."

the Riverwalk is often called a tourist trap, and it kind of is. but if someone looks into it, and thinks it sounds fun - they will enjoy it.

it's a nice meandering walk along a canal, and there is some good scenery and restaurants and bars. sit outside and sip a drink with an umbrella in it.

the real San Antonio is very Tex-Mex (much moreso than Dallas or Houston imo) - you can find farmer's markets, local culture, search around and find a quintessential local meal if you are a foodie.

no matter your tastes - wait, maybe if you are a historian - the Alamo site is..... well, they lost, so not so much.

not sure if they still have that Wendy's so uncomfortably close.

I should add that it IS a city that can be reasonably managed in 3 nights.

One of my favorites is Vancouver, for instance - and no, 3 nights won't cut it there.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      I tell people I am not good at marriage. I've only done it once. Judith thinks that next year is worth a special effort in commemoration. For a while, she suggested taking long ride on Amtrack with sleeper cars. Now she is thinking of a three day trip to San Antonio.

This is not until next spring. Any thoughts.

J
      What ever Judith wants Judith should get (same with Mrs. Gregg). That said; are you in charge of planning the festivities?

I assume your anniversary is around this time period so trips revolving around fall colors would be out?

Comment

My parents live in VA and always came to visit me (in Salt Lake) via rail. 3 day trip so they got the sleeper car. Dad loved it, my mom would say she could fly 1st class for the same price. The food wasn't bad, wasn't good. Unless you are changing trains you don't get time to visit any cities, you just ride through looking at countryside. Going through southern UT with the mountains and red rocks would nice to view, going through NE and KS where the land is flat probably not so nice, but everyone is different. I have looked into the Canadian Rockies for a train trip, expensive but set for tourists so they usually stop at the parks and you have time to visit.

Comment

This is one thought I had. We could take Amtrack from San Antonio to El Paso or New Orleans. That would give us a room and meals without using a motel. There is a bag check stop just 30 minutes from us. Connection is about $20 each.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
          X