is Amazon good for us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Amazon good for us?

Jonathan and Michele Rhudy recently moved their Richmond, Va., consulting business into new digs and bought all new stuff — office supplies, furniture and even a coffee maker. There was no question…

In March, MarketWatch estimated that Amazon will destroy 1.5 million retail jobs in the next five years. And with its push into self-driving trucks, drone delivery, automated grocery stores and more, the site said the total number of lost jobs would likely be more than 2 million, concluding, “Could Amazon actually kill more American jobs than China did? It’s quite likely.”
    How many of you buy a lot from Amazon? I rarely do because their prices range from somewhat competitive to complete ripoff. I will go out of my way to buy from Best Buy or Target locally to support my community.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

I've cut way down on my shopping there, the Walmart of the Internet.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

We buy a lot from Amazon, largely because we have 2 young kids and both work. Getting to a brick and mortar store is often just not feasible, so Amazon is a life saver for us.

Comment

I buy a lot through Amazon. I have found their prices to be unbeatable, and if I need something badly I can often get it delivered to my door the very same day.

I'm not sure how they are the WalMart of the internet. I know WalMart and how they work. Amazon allows you to buy direct from third party vendors, which I do quite often. You don't always get that 'prime' free shipping, but you can find just about anything in the world.
        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Too funny. I just noticed that cbb's link was to the New York Post. Is there a rag in the country which has been more consistently outspoken against the efforts to raise the minimum wage?

But give them a chance to stick it to Jeff Bezos and you'd think Norma Rae was on the masthead.
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Love it, use it pretty much for everything.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Use it for some things, especially electronics. I have not found them to be at all competitive on household goods, but expected growth in that area is projected to be huge.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Use it for some things, especially electronics. I have not found them to be at all competitive on household goods, but expected growth in that area is projected to be huge.
                They're exceptional when it comes to organic/all natural things. My wife has skin sensitivities which means she makes all her own skincare, makeup and bath products from scratch. Finding all the ingredients in the real world is not only difficult, but expensive. Amazon brings all the options out there to one place and usually ships free (prime) and in 2 days.

Hell I even got the Forecaster cheaper than you can online or in the stores off Amazon.

As for household goods, I'd have to say--I shop around for pretty much every purchase and I've found that if you look on more than one occasion, what you want eventually goes on special somewhere and Amazon will have it.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

But the coal industry revitalization is going to save us all

The retail industry is changing drastically and many many jobs are being lost through automation and technology.
                  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/o...tter.html?_r=0

Does this make Amazon and technology progress bad?

and by the as far as delivery drones we discussed in my class and 200 out of 200 8th graders thought the same thing about delivery drones "I am pretty sure that I could/would knock that drone out of the sky"

Comment

We're going to see the death of Capitalism as we know it in our lifetimes. Should be a fun ride.
                    I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

But if a business can provide services more efficiently than other businesses, how is that a bad thing? Isn't this the same as what Henry Ford did with the assembly line a hundred years ago?
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        But if a business can provide services more efficiently than other businesses, how is that a bad thing? Isn't this the same as what Henry Ford did with the assembly line a hundred years ago?
                        I teach this kind of thing and find the juxtaposition of these clips fascinating

100 years ago
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkxl8dSXb4

7 years ago
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82w_r2D1Ooo

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          We buy a lot from Amazon, largely because we have 2 young kids and both work. Getting to a brick and mortar store is often just not feasible, so Amazon is a life saver for us.
                          yeah I can see that scenario, but have you found Amazon to be any cheaper than ordering on other websites like Target or Walmart?
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                            I buy a lot through Amazon. I have found their prices to be unbeatable, and if I need something badly I can often get it delivered to my door the very same day.
                            really? Ive found their prices to usually be average to awful. I can beat their prices on household items very easily at my local Target/Walmart or by ordering online from either of them. If I need something badly I can take a 5 min drive to Target/Walmart but I know not everyone is that close to one.

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                            Too funny. I just noticed that cbb's link was to the New York Post. Is there a rag in the country which has been more consistently outspoken against the efforts to raise the minimum wage?

But give them a chance to stick it to Jeff Bezos and you'd think Norma Rae was on the masthead.
                            I started a non-political thread.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              If I find a rare occasion that Amazon is cheapest on electronics, I'll just go to Best Buy and pricematch and have it immediately.

Comment

Working...
                              X