rules in life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rules in life

you could write a book right? just keep track of all the things you should and shouldn't do. and you'd probably get to like 300 pages. lucky asked about this once for his son going to college and i think i had some. i wish i had started a thread to help.

1) you can tell a lot about a person about how they order food. are they polite or are they demanding. it's a basic necessity so you'll see the most primal interaction. like if you are in a cafeteria at work, and you're not sure about someone you see occasionally everyday.. focus on how they order or ask for food. this will give you an indication on their overall behavior.

2) don't have a dentist do work on you unless you are suffering

i never had work ever, until a few years ago. but after i went, the cosmetic stuff they did make my teeth look even worse after i didn't go the next year to have the stuff they did that fell off fixed. so the dentist, after you go is an ongoing thing. they make you dependent on them. i think. even tho it's not on purpose.

Comment

Rule #1 - Life is not fair

Rule #2 - Tough - refer to rule #1
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Rule #1: Life is not fair

Rule #2: Try to minimize rule #1 by trying your hardest to make life as fair as possible for those you interact with, in whatever way you are able to do so.

Comment

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
            2) don't have a dentist do work on you unless you are suffering

i never had work ever, until a few years ago. but after i went, the cosmetic stuff they did make my teeth look even worse after i didn't go the next year to have the stuff they did that fell off fixed. so the dentist, after you go is an ongoing thing. they make you dependent on them. i think. even tho it's not on purpose.
            If you dont see dentists regularly for cleanings and checkups you will have problems. Yeah, the cosmetic stuff is usually unnecessary.

Comment

I like a quote I recently read when reading about Katherine Johnson (NASA - some of her story is told in the movie Hidden Figures). Her dad gave her this advice that she used as a guide in her life:

You are as good as anyone in this town, but you are no better than any of them.
              "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
              "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
              WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
              PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Some other rules:

With self-discipline most anything is possible
                . (Theodore Roosevelt)

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.
                (Epictetus)
                "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  If you dont see dentists regularly for cleanings and checkups you will have problems. Yeah, the cosmetic stuff is usually unnecessary.
                  And poor dental health has also been linked to other health issues such as heart disease and diabetes.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

My wife reminds the youth we work with to be a person of your word. You can have any physical object taken from you, but the only way you can lose your integrity is if you give it away.

Comment

Do to others what you would want them to do to you.

Not that I am an overtly religious person but this seemed a good rule to follow when I was young and has more meaning to me the older I get.

Comment

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Comment

Working...
                        X