Psoriasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psoriasis

So along with my senior discount this summer, my birthday brought about the revelation that I have and will always have, Psoriasis. Apparently the dry skin on my elbows and the randomly occurring small spots of what I thought was eczema on my ankles I've had my whole life was actually Psoriasis.

So I've had my first full on breakout head to toe, severe (more than 10% of the body affected) and all at once.

I've been to the GP and a trip to the dermatologist is coming up the next week or two (when they can get me in).

Apparently it blossoms in men over 50 (yay me!) which is why I'm only just experiencing this now.
    '
    I've used Topical steroids to get it under control, but want to avoid any other drugs if at all possible.

The Topicals took a quick toll on my hands so I've stopped them.

Right now I'm on a complete natural and holistic regime which keeps it under control.

I can no longer drink and have gone Gluten free and Gluten and alcohol trigger breakouts and hinder the things I use to manage it.

I was wondering if any others in here have this shit as it seems quite a few people I know outside of RJ also have it to one degree or another.

Any tips or ideas of how you deal with it would be appreciated.

feel free to IM me if you'd rather not share publicly.

Thanks!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've had it for years, decades actually, and I've always treated it topically. Then, for no reason whatsoever, it decided to take off like wildfire last winter...so I went to a dermatologist. She tried creams and ointments, and they worked, but thye were greasy and a pain to deal with since they would ruin clothes. She then prescribed Otezla, which after 3 weeks of using samples, the insurance company decided not to cover.

At that point she prescribed Humira, yeah you've seen the commercials...it works great for me! My skin hasn't been this clear in 30 years, and it's actually more supple as well...yeah, wrap your minds around THAT one.

The best thing is that it's injectable, like an Epipen, and you only do it twice a month after the starter pack, which is like 3 injections the 1st week. I couldn't recommend it more highly...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I've had it for years, decades actually, and I've always treated it topically. Then, for no reason whatsoever, it decided to take off like wildfire last winter...so I went to a dermatologist. She tried creams and ointments, and they worked, but thye were greasy and a pain to deal with since they would ruin clothes. She then prescribed Otezla, which after 3 weeks of using samples, the insurance company decided not to cover.

At that point she prescribed Humira, yeah you've seen the commercials...it works great for me! My skin hasn't been this clear in 30 years, and it's actually more supple as well...yeah, wrap your minds around THAT one.

The best thing is that it's injectable, like an Epipen, and you only do it twice a month after the starter pack, which is like 3 injections the 1st week. I couldn't recommend it more highly...
      RJ 1 v Psoriasis 0

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

How are the side effects?

Do you use anything else like soaps, oils or special shampoos?

Does it allow you to to drink or eat whatever you want?
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

sidebar: as a grammar junkie I had high hopes for this thread ... but I'm disappointed we haven't yet seen the words salve, unguents, or emollients in this thread.

Hope you get some relief.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Agreed, good luck finding something that works.

On a side note, I was looking for someone to mention the "heartbreak of psoriasis" so I could get a little Tom Waits in there. "Christ, you don't know the meaning of heartbreak, buddy."

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              How are the side effects?

Do you use anything else like soaps, oils or special shampoos?

Does it allow you to to drink or eat whatever you want?
              I can eat whatever I want, drink like a fish, and generally live my life totally normal.

My wife was big on homeopathic remedies, soaps, lotions, and the rest, none really worked. Same for any other OTC medication. No noticeable effect. The prescription creams did work, just not all that well, but they may make you jump through that hoop before trying something like Humira. It's hideously expensive, so the insurance companies approve it grudgingly, but once approved, the RX company has a great support program where they make up most of the co-pay...I only pay 5 bucks a month, and it's mailed to my door.

No side effects for me, although like all drugs, the list of POTENTIAL side effects is as long as your arm...legal boilerplate I'm sure.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

By way of coincidence, saw this on the FP of Imgur today.

Discover topics like The More You Know, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like ragez7.

Comment

Yeah Mine's not at all that bad. I've a good balance now between the topicals and the oils, not keen on the more serious meds as of yet.

Right now just working on stopping the flare ups, which I seem to have done and manage the rest without destroying my future health.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                  X