Chrome TV or Amazon Prime - or other options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome TV or Amazon Prime - or other options

I have DirecTV at home as my TV service. I like it, but Im getting tired of paying for it. I dont have any movie channels or sports channel add-ons. Anyway, the TV is bundled with my internet and a land line. I am not real familiar with Chrome or Prime and I am wondering if it makes sense for me to investigate dumping the dish for one of these alternatives.

Has anyone moved away from Cable or Dish providers to look at another option?

Just curiosus.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

yep, I cut the cable cord a few months ago and set up a xbmc environment. It's not for the faint of heart as it took (and continues to take) some time to set up & tweak, but it's an interesting experiment. I originally planned on getting a hulu or Amazon account, but haven't needed to so far as almost all the content I want is accessible through other sources. I should set up a blog about it ... I'll try to provide a detailed reply in the next few days.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

There was a thread on this earlier this year:

Comment

Prime is my least favorite of HuluPlus, Netflix or Prime. ( we have all 3 and only basic cable these days, essentially ) Prime is great because of the free Amazon 2 day shipping but lacks in great movies, if you ask me. Hulu also lacks in movies, but makes up for it with lots of great foreign TV shows that I would never have seen otherwise. And of course Netflix gives you both to some degree. Hulu generally gives you next day access to TV that you missed. ( though not from all networks )

If not for the free shipping, we definitely would not have Prime.

I would rank them like this for my tastes:

HuluPlus and Netflix about an 8 out of 10
        Prime about a 5 out of 10.

Chromecast is fine as a tool, but we don't need it often. It is in our spare bedroom mostly for my father in law. Though lately my kids have been using it because the Netflix app that is built into my bedroom TV sucks donkey balls....... We have 3 TVs that have the Netflix app, and the PS3 has one, as well as the Wii, and they all are different in the way they work.

Comment

What exactly are you hoping to do with Chromecast or Prime? They seem to do different things. Chromecast allows you to access Prime, Netflix, HuluPlus, etc. Where Prime would provide you entertainment content.

I cut the cable cord last spring. I haven't looked back. We run an antenna for over the air TV station (local) which isn't too bad and have Netflix, which we run through our PS3. Our bill for TV entertainment is $10/month. Do I miss some shows? Yeah, but not much. There is so much content on Netflix that you rarely think about the shows you're missing on cable.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

We have Amazon Prime because we get free delivery for a year. Judith cannot drive, so she shops online (gas would be cheaper).

The video/TV aspect is gravy. I am currently working through Orphan Black season 1, in episode order. Most programs I want to cover previous years are not available, eg Babylon 5, or still cost per episode. Still, if you want to see Buffy from episode 1 through season 7, they have it.

The interface sucks.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I get free shipping from Amazon without Prime. I just order $35 or more and wait the extra week or so.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I would love to be able to cut the cable cord, but how do you guys watch sports?

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  I would love to be able to cut the cable cord, but how do you guys watch sports?
                  An antenna? BTW, HBO is going to sell its service to consumers directly in 2015.... I see the NFL and MLB doing the same soon, as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X