It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Been watching Hallmark Christmas movies!
    I have seen a few of those lol. Although they are all pretty much the same movie
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I do not know why I have never watched the 1947 film The Bishops Wife? It stars Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven. What a fun movie!

Mrs. Gregg and I loved it. We can't wait to share it with our adult children and Grandson. Beautifully filmed, great acting, some humor. We think this is going into the rotation of Christmas movies that traditionally take place between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I do not know if it was picked in our Black and White movie draft but it would have made my list if had seen it pre draft.

Good stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I have seen a few of those lol. Although they are all pretty much the same movie
        Agree. Feelgood mushy and silly. Worse thnigs to watch!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I do not know why I have never watched the 1947 film The Bishops Wife? It stars Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven. What a fun movie!

Mrs. Gregg and I loved it. We can't wait to share it with our adult children and Grandson. Beautifully filmed, great acting, some humor. We think this is going into the rotation of Christmas movies that traditionally take place between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I do not know if it was picked in our Black and White movie draft but it would have made my list if had seen it pre draft.

Good stuff!
          Cary Grant is incapable of a bad performance!!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Cary Grant is incapable of a bad performance!!
            Sir, none of your last three posts warrant exclamation points, much less the exponentially more powerful double exclamation.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Re-watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation which, apparently, is completely fucking hilarious if you're a nine year old. If you are above the age of nine, it may feel more like two hours of your life was sucked away by that machine in A Princess Bride.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Re-watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation which, apparently, is completely fucking hilarious if you're a nine year old. If you are above the age of nine, it may feel more like two hours of your life was sucked away by that machine in A Princess Bride.
                I watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles the other night. had a few funny moments, but mostly just made me feel old. No cell phones, old cars, total lack of communication. Flashbacks from my life in the midwest. Just not that great. Steve Martin and John Candy looked amazingly young, which I guess goes back to my point about the movie making me feel old. Googled the hotel they were stuck in and apparently it is a drug and sex trafficking hotspot. Watch at your own risk.
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles the other night. had a few funny moments, but mostly just made me feel old. No cell phones, old cars, total lack of communication. Flashbacks from my life in the midwest. Just not that great. Steve Martin and John Candy looked amazingly young, which I guess goes back to my point about the movie making me feel old. Googled the hotel they were stuck in and apparently it is a drug and sex trafficking hotspot. Watch at your own risk.
                  You must hate westerns.

Comment

Re-watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation which, apparently, is completely fucking hilarious if you're a nine year old. If you are above the age of nine, it may feel more like two hours of your life was sucked away by that machine in A Princess Bride.
                    But you'd be only mostly dead!
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Sir, none of your last three posts warrant exclamation points, much less the exponentially more powerful double exclamation.
                      Well...ok!

Cary Grant deserves 3 !'s

Comment

I laugh my ass off every time that I watch it.

Comment

I laugh my ass off every time that I watch it.
                          What are you... nine years old?

Ok, i also laugh my ass off every time i watch Christmas Vacation.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm very mixed on re-watching old movies you thought were once great. I remembered "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" as being one of my favorite comedies as a teen. I got though about 20 cringe-worthy minutes on a recent re-watch before I had to shut it off in disgust. Best to leave that one as a memory. I also re-watched "Beverly Hills Cop" with my kids. Pretty much pure unfunny trash right there now, although they liked it.

I've discovered that you're right, much of 1970s/1980s comedy relied on miscommunication, which many kids simply can't relate to these days. The smartphone basically killed everything, which is why many movies these days have to turn to being a pre-smartphone "period piece."

Comment

You mentioned re-watched. Did you enjoy it the first time?

I have always enjoyed the exaggerated truths to the point of silliness this movie brings. Parodies of real life, many I can relate to. Mrs. Gregg and I watched it last week and still laughed. We still have a little Sparky and Ellen in us, but now we are bumping up to the grandparents. So yes it does remind us that we are getting older. Still worth the time for us.

Comment

• I liked it when I was a kid. This time around it was just painful.

Comment

Working...
                                X