It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Of the 3, I think I definitely liked the 2nd one best.
    So you're ok with a fight on a falling ship and no one falls off?

yeah I loved that one too, but have a soft spot for the first one. I loved how it all came together.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      So you're ok with a fight on a falling ship and no one falls off?

yeah I loved that one too, but have a soft spot for the first one. I loved how it all came together.
      You see ... you know exactly what I'm talking about!

One first view I have enjoyed the experience of watching them all ... I just can't make it through a second helping.

Comment

You see ... you know exactly what I'm talking about!

One first view I have enjoyed the experience of watching them all ... I just can't make it through a second helping.
        I only re-watch the first one.

The second, not so much.

The third, I will, but probably not repeatedly.

Yes I do know what you're talking about--I think Mudd's Women started it all--Really how could anyone be attracted to HIM!!!
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• So I went back and watched the first star trek last night. What are the odds that the alien girl in Beyond has the same Beastie Boys jam on her player that young Kirk plays while stealing the corvette in the first movie?

See, I love that stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
            So I went back and watched the first star trek last night. What are the odds that the alien girl in Beyond has the same Beastie Boys jam on her player that young Kirk plays while stealing the corvette in the first movie?

See, I love that stuff
            All Starfleet officers are issued "Ill Communication" as standard equipment
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              All Starfleet officers are issued "Ill Communication" as standard equipment
              Communicator check one two one two
              This is Bones McCoy on a line to Sulu
              Set the bullshit to warp factor one
              Check your tri-corder set your phaser to stun

Comment

Some others:

Demolition - IMO the best movie of 2016 so far. Saw it 3 times in the cinema ... and bonus points for using my favourite song ("To Be Alone With You" by Sufjan Stevens) as the relationship / wedding recap background music. That should not work, but it totally did. This movie struck a cord with me on so many levels. Jake Gyllenhaal is probably my favourite actor right now.
                Saw the preview for this one and thought it looked interesting so I watched it on a plane recently. While there were some interesting concepts, they didn't seem to fit together at all and I came away unsatisfied. Did get bonus points for including one of the best MMJ songs - "Touch Me, I'm Going to Scream (Pt 2)" although they used a weird version of it.

Some others I've seen recently:

The Lobster - I knew it was going to be weird going in, but was not prepared for what I ended up seeing. All the performances - including Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, and John C. Reilly - are as stoic as they come (on purpose) and definitely set a tone for the movie but sometimes bring it down. I loved some parts of this movie (the non-verbal sign language between Farrell and Weisz was hilarious) but other parts were a bit much for me to wrap my head around so overall it gets a tepid endorsement for those who enjoy a wacky dystopian black comedy.

Black Mass - fairly standard mob fare although they focus a bit more on the personal aspect of the business. Johnny Depp's performance was transformative and there was a nice wrinkle with the FBI informant aspect of it - definitely a good but not great movie.

Muppets Most Wanted - the Muppets reboot with Jason Segel was fun as hell so I had high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, this one was more ridiculous than clever and didn't have nearly the charm of its predecessor.

Hello, My Name Is Doris - oh man, what a treat this one was. Sally Field stars as a 50-something crazy cat lady who works in some hip office doing data entry (they explain it as her being the token remnant from the old regime). After her mother - whom she spent most of her adult life caring for - passes away, she's lonelier than ever which facilitates her crush on her new co-worker (Max Greenfield of New Girl fame). Ms. Field is adorkable as ever here and there are plenty of laughs to be had along with a few tears - definitely exceelent.

Hush - indie horror flick about a woman who ends up playing cat-and-mouse at her remote cottage with a psycopath with a knife/crossbow. The twist? She's deaf...but also a suspense writer who's not as easy to take down. It's a short movie with some genuine tension - not essential, but pretty entertaining.

Creep - another indie horror flick, this time starring Mark Duplass of The League fame as a guy who hires a cameraman to make a video to give to his unborn son since he's been diagnosed with an inoperable tumor. It's apparent early on that not everything is as it seems and they even address some of the reasons why the cameraman continues to be involved with this guy even when he gets creeped out. Another short one, another one that's not essential, but pretty entertaining.

The Hateful Eight - I love me a Tarantino flick and this one reminded me the most of Reservoir Dogs - mostly one claustrophobic location, an element of "whodunnit", and lots of violence. Although it's pretty dang long, there's plenty to maintain interest here. Quentin seems a little too fixated on movies using the n-word, but maybe that's just his comfort zone? Anyway, I liked this one.

Comment

• My wife and I are letting my 5 year old Grandson experience the first Transformer movie. We are about half way through. I forgot how much fun this is.

Comment

• Introduced my son to Almost Famous last night. I love that movie.

Comment

• My favorite ever!

Comment

• Suicide Squad was better than I expected, characters are for the most part engaging and the story interesting. Much of the movie was exposition which can be expected from the first in an expected franchise. Didn't care for Leto's Joker, I mean it was interesting, but I doubt anyone will top Ledger's version for quite some time.

Hell or High Water I really wanted to see this and it didn't disappoint. Anyone familiar with West Texas and it's atmosphere will especially enjoy it.

Both of the above have excellent sound tracks.

Legend of Tarzan Meh, waste of time really and I'm a very generous audience member.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Suicide Squad was better than I expected, characters are for the most part engaging and the story interesting. Much of the movie was exposition which can be expected from the first in an expected franchise. Didn't care for Leto's Joker, I mean it was interesting, but I doubt anyone will top Ledger's version for quite some time.

Hell or High Water I really wanted to see this and it didn't disappoint. Anyone familiar with West Texas and it's atmosphere will especially enjoy it.

Both of the above have excellent sound tracks.

Legend of Tarzan Meh, waste of time really and I'm a very generous audience member.
                          Me Tarazan you got Jane, me get Jane back. This has been the story line for 90% of all Tarzan movies every made. I went in not expecting much at all. The story line is so tired that I had no plans on seeing it. The preview we saw while attending another movie was good enough for us to give it a shot. It was better than I thought it would be. Not a waste of time for us.

Not being critical just curious as to what you were expecting? Or how it could have been better for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Me Tarazan you got Jane, me get Jane back. This has been the story line for 90% of all Tarzan movies every made. I went in not expecting much at all. The story line is so tired that I had no plans on seeing it. The preview we saw while attending another movie was good enough for us to give it a shot. It was better than I thought it would be. Not a waste of time for us.

Not being critical just curious as to what you were expecting? Or how it could have been better for you?
                            Just something different, More of an evolution for Lord Greystoke. Not only that but Christopher Waltz's played his character essentially the same as he played Landa in Inglorious Basterds. Even Sam Jackson's role seemed shallow and pretty superfluous to the whole film. More could have been done regarding the Tribal chief who hates Tarzan and the whole relationship with his old Brother/family (the Gorilla). I was just left wanting, but you're right what should I expect? Just More I guess.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Almost EVERY film made in Vegas with a car chase has continuity issues.

Drives me nuts.

The latest Bourne movie is no exception...........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Almost EVERY film made in Vegas with a car chase has continuity issues.

Drives me nuts.

The latest Bourne movie is no exception...........
                                You mean the indestructible armored vehicle that is able to defy all the known laws of motion ... opposing forces be damned!

An average Bourne effort up until Vegas ... then utter drivel after that.

It's amazing that Greengrass and Damon were so full of themselves criticizing the Bourne Legacy and the screenwriter of the original trilogy (or at least the first 2 movies). They were responsible for this crap ... all by themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X