The 'great resignation' & 'quiet quitting'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    You could raise a family on 1 blue collar salary then. That's not possible now. We want to return to the good old days in so many ways, but not one where people can actually make a life for themselves.

Is 10k in student debt forgiveness going to solve it? Hardly. Is mandating a $15 minimum wage? Not on it's own.

Is sitting around complaining that no one wants to work and nothing else? NO!
    when i grew up there wasn't the huge homeless problem that exists today. and as you note, it was possible to have a home and family with a blue collar job. The idea that people today are just lazy and that's why things are worse ignores all the policies that got us to where we are. Sure, it's possible for young adults today to succeed...but a huge percentage of them won't, much more than 50 years ago.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
      I dunno, man. Sitting around complaining is a pretty good time.
      how does it pay ?
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's my FT Job right now...........
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          how does it pay ?
          I'll bitch about that right after my nap...
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            how does it pay ?
            Enough to afford two new kittens.

Comment

Enough to afford two new kittens.
              AND the ringworm medication?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Fair enough, but then why do the work? "people don't want to work" is bullshit. For the most part, no one wants to work!
                Our mileage definitely varies on that; I think most people realize that work is directly related to any level of financial success one could attain.

. I really don't want to work, but my company gives me enough compensation to make it worth my time. If the difference between me working and not working is negligible, then not working sounds better.
                With a short-term, entitled POV, I can see that thought. OTOH, if you have no/low skills and no/low experience, your real value to a company is pretty minimal. Longer term, I think most realize that you'll have to start with some kind of job, even at lower pay, to develop basic skills and show an employer you can do stuff like show up on time. The good news, as others noted earlier, is the labor shortage has lowered that bar.

What about the independent corner place here that has signs lamenting their short staff and "no one wants to work!" BS. There's no promotion opportunities there. You're running a failed business model that can't keep up with supply and demand for workers.
                I'm assuming you mean a small place like a bakery, coffee shop or similar. While there may be no promotion opportunities at that place of business, the experience alone will open doors, especially in today's market. Maybe I'm out of date, but that's not the kind of place someone went to build a career.

I agree on job requirements, but that's a business issue too. I saw a tweet from a guy posting a job listing and saying he couldn't apply for the job because it required 5 years of experience with a computer language he invented 2 years ago. "Entry level" jobs regularly ask for an advanced degree and 2 years of experience. The reason why an individual needs a college degree to get the job, is because the company expects it and the job posting requires it.
                On this, we agree. I find stupid job postings like that all the time.

You could raise a family on 1 blue collar salary then. That's not possible now. We want to return to the good old days in so many ways, but not one where people can actually make a life for themselves.
                Depends on the blue collar job. And where you live. But for the most part, a skilled tradesperson can raise a family on one salary. I'd argue that many blue collar/skilled tradespeople are actually in better shape than a large segment of four-year degreed individuals. who are truly in dead-end positions. In my extended family, we have a tool and die maker who raised two kids as a single mom. Sadly, she had to quit elementary education to do it, but she made 70-100% more in tool and die work than an educator, depending on overtime in a year. Now, that likely indicates that we badly undervalue educators, but I think that's in a different thread.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  I'll bitch about that right after my nap...
                  And cigar.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    And cigar.
                    Where's my Woodford...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Where's my Woodford...
                      That too.

Comment

AND the ringworm medication?
                        That shit has to be refrigerated! What a pain in the ass!

Comment

That shit has to be refrigerated! What a pain in the ass!
                          Can ringworm be spread through feces on your boss's desk?

Asking for your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Can ringworm be spread through feces on your boss's desk?

Asking for your friend.
                            From what my experience, yes.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I only do it during working hours when I'm getting paid.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I only do it during working hours when I'm getting paid.
                                Smart. You don't want to waste your personal time on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X