Federal Holiday - Juneteenth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Holiday - Juneteenth

On June 19 back in 1865, Union Army Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger rode into Galveston, Texas, and told slaves of their emancipation. That day came more than two years after President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863. Even after Lincoln declared all enslaved people free on paper, that hadn't necessarily been the case in practice. Juneteenth is also known as Emancipation Day. This is the first new federal holiday recognized since Martin Luther King Junior Day back in 1983.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

And as an American History major, even having a partial concentration on the Civil War, I had never even heard of this day until a few years ago when it showed up as a holiday on my iPhone calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      And as an American History major, even having a partial concentration on the Civil War, I had never even heard of this day until a few years ago when it showed up as a holiday on my iPhone calendar.
      Same for an awful lot of folks with the Tulsa Massacre perpetuated against successful black citizens. It's almost as if we haven't been very critical in our evaluation of race theory, eh?
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        Same for an awful lot of folks with the Tulsa Massacre perpetuated against successful black citizens. It's almost as if we haven't been very critical in our evaluation of race theory, eh?
        Yes, I, like many others, first found out about the Tulsa massacre during the opening episode of The Watchmen.

What's funny is that the GOP voted for Juneteenth, yet don't want to teach about what it is and why it is.

Comment

Yes, I, like many others, first found out about the Tulsa massacre during the opening episode of The Watchmen.

What's funny is that the GOP voted for Juneteenth, yet don't want to teach about what it is and why it is.
          Not arguing but curious. Why do you say they don't want to teach about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Not arguing but curious. Why do you say they don't want to teach about it?
            Because they're actively campaigning against CRT. The GOP doesn't want anyone to know that white people once enslaved blacks in America.

Comment

Because they're actively campaigning against CRT. The GOP doesn't want anyone to know that white people once enslaved blacks in America.
              I think that might be going a tad far. I'd say it is more accurate to say they want to situate that in the past, done in a different time, by different people, and that we totally and completely fixed it, and now everything is fine and we live in a meritocracy where everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. We have a bad thing in our past, but we fixed it and should move on, and that bad thing no longer affects people and causes inequity. Oh, and some of them also want to suggest slavery wasn't as bad as the liberals want to make it seem, but I'd say that is a view held by less. I'd say the everything is fine and equal now view is held by the vast majority of the GOP. So, the idea of challenging that shakes them to their core. The idea that the system is still rigged in the favor rankles them, and they do not want to look at that ugly truth squarely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I think that might be going a tad far. I'd say it is more accurate to say they want to situate that in the past, done in a different time, by different people, and that we totally and completely fixed it, and now everything is fine and we live in a meritocracy where everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. We have a bad thing in our past, but we fixed it and should move on, and that bad thing no longer affects people and causes inequity. Oh, and some of them also want to suggest slavery wasn't as bad as the liberals want to make it seem, but I'd say that is a view held by less. I'd say the everything is fine and equal now view is held by the vast majority of the GOP. So, the idea of challenging that shakes them to their core. The idea that the system is still rigged in the favor rankles them, and they do not want to look at that ugly truth squarely.
                As part of the attack on CRT, they don't want you to know about segregation, legal cases that demeaned blacks, discrimination in housing or banking, etc. It stands to reason that in the redder states they may even push to gloss over slavery.

Comment

As part of the attack on CRT, they don't want you to know about segregation, legal cases that demeaned blacks, discrimination in housing or banking, etc. It stands to reason that in the redder states they may even push to gloss over slavery.
                  IMO this type of conjecture and hyperbole does more harm than good. The GOP's stance is ridiculous on it's own, there's no need to add unsubstantiated claims. Exaggerating that stance without any actual basis for doing so just makes the entire issue look contrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    IMO this type of conjecture and hyperbole does more harm than good. The GOP's stance is ridiculous on it's own, there's no need to add unsubstantiated claims. Exaggerating that stance without any actual basis for doing so just makes the entire issue look contrived.
                    How so? The 1619 Project, which traces the history of slavery, was widely panned by Republicans led by the Clown-in-Chief himself. How is it unsubstantiated?
                    The president said the project aimed at exploring how central slavery was to America's founding "warped" American history. He also signed an order creating a "1776 commission."

"The left has warped, distorted, and defiled the American story with deceptions, falsehoods, and lies. There is no better example than the New York Times' totally discredited 1619 Project," Mr. Trump said at the event. "This project rewrites American history to teach our children that we were founded on the principle of oppression, not freedom."

"Nothing could be further from the truth," the president continued. "America's founding set in motion the unstoppable chain of events that abolished slavery, secured civil rights, defeated communism and fascism, and built the most fair, equal, and prosperous nation in human history."

Is this even remotely true? Yeah, if you want to extend the timeline by two hundred years. This is blathering nonsense and is revising history. The founding fathers couldn't have cared any less about abolishing slavery or securing civil rights.

Comment

How so? The 1619 Project, which traces the history of slavery, was widely panned by Republicans led by the Clown-in-Chief himself. How is it unsubstantiated?
                      I'm referring to use of phrases above like "it stands to reason", and "they may even".

Comment

I'm referring to use of phrases above like "it stands to reason", and "they may even".
                        Here's Oklahoma's new law "mandating that lessons should not make an individual feel "discomfort, guilt, anguish or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race."

Here's one subsection of Oklahoma's law:
                        1. No teacher, administrator or other employee of a school
                        district, charter school or virtual charter school shall require or
                        make part of a course the following concepts:
                        a. one race or sex is inherently superior to another race
                        or sex

How can you competently teach slavery and the concept of Juneteenth without teaching that negro slaves were, by the Constitution, considered 3/5ths of a human being, were enslaved by whites and considered to be sub-humans?

Here's Texas's new law:
                        "HB 3979 law bans public school teachers from requiring students to read specific educational materials or even learn about particular ideas - specifically the idea that "the advent of slavery constituted the true founding of the US."

The law also forbids teachers from even teaching the 1619 Project."

My opinion has not wavered -- there are Republican-led states that are trying to gloss over slavery. And they have passed laws to pressure teachers to do so. That is not conjecture.

Comment

My opinion has not wavered -- there are Republican-led states that are trying to gloss over slavery. And they have passed laws to pressure teachers to do so. That is not conjecture.
                          Seems like you are missing the point.

If there's actual evidence that's fine, and that's a different discussion. I don't disagree with your assertions above. The danger is in suggesting that GOP "may" do something, or that it "stands to reason" that they will.

Comment

Seems like you are missing the point.

If there's actual evidence that's fine, and that's a different discussion. I don't disagree with your assertions above. The danger is in suggesting that GOP "may" do something, or that it "stands to reason" that they will.
                            Are you saying that there are NOT those in the GOP and/or redder states that want to gloss over slavery? Are you saying that the GOP attacks on CRT aren't "doing something"
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Except revo is not exaggerating the GOP stance, he is downplaying it. It's far more pervasive and nefarious than just a simple "glossing over" and it's already been happening for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X