X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    last time I visited the Liberty Bell I was really disappointed in how it's been used for nationalism and capitalism over the years. Least favorite attraction in Philly. And that includes the Rocky statue.
    My favorite Philly site was the fountain that i wasn't supposed to wade in to cool off when it was 100 degrees. The prison was cool too

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Originally posted by revo View Post

So it's a tradition that's long been associated with all sports around the world.
    I don't think so. Some countries will play their anthem at a final, but usually you have teams playing unrelated, non-patriotic songs at the outset of their matches. In Austria, when I lived there, they'd play the anthem at international matches but essentially nowhere else ever. They certainly didn't play the Austrian anthem when two Austrian teams played because they're not weirdo jingoists like we are. Flag lapel pins, playing the anthem, forcing people to declare their allegiance to a flag.....all that shit is super weird to most other normal countries not under the thumb of a dictator. Compulsory patriotism is garbage and should be rejected.

Leave a comment:

• Mithrandir
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken View Post
    What's the reason for playing it in the first place? They've never played it at the start of a concert I've been to. Never played it when I went to a movie. Sporting events are just entertainment. Why specifically is it associated with basketball? What's the correlation?
    Agree.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I cringe at times at the use of our flag these days. Probably more often than not.
    last time I visited the Liberty Bell I was really disappointed in how it's been used for nationalism and capitalism over the years. Least favorite attraction in Philly. And that includes the Rocky statue.

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Do other countries really do it to the extent we do? Maybe our Canadian posters can chime in here. My impression was that in other countries, it's more for international matches or championship games, or other special occasions like that, as opposed to literally every routine sporting event from high school to the pros like we do in the USA.
    I watch quite a bit of EPL and I know they don't do it.

I agree that it makes sense in international matches. Otherwise I don't really see the point.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Seitzer
    replied
    It's not specifically associated with basketball, but sports in general, in every country.

Started around WWI, took off during WWII. If you think about it, where else is the National Anthem played, if not sporting events? Not sure if schools sing it every morning (when they're actually in school).

So it's a tradition that's long been associated with all sports around the world.
    Do other countries really do it to the extent we do? Maybe our Canadian posters can chime in here. My impression was that in other countries, it's more for international matches or championship games, or other special occasions like that, as opposed to literally every routine sporting event from high school to the pros like we do in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken View Post
    What's the reason for playing it in the first place? They've never played it at the start of a concert I've been to. Never played it when I went to a movie. Sporting events are just entertainment. Why specifically is it associated with basketball? What's the correlation?
    It's not specifically associated with basketball, but sports in general, in every country.

Started around WWI, took off during WWII. If you think about it, where else is the National Anthem played, if not sporting events? Not sure if schools sing it every morning (when they're actually in school).

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    This is an issue where I don't care a lot one way or the other. I do think the national anthem can be inspiring at special times. Olympic gold medal ceremonies, inaugurations, things like that. It can remind us of the privileges we have and our shared history and values and so forth. I will also say that if you are at a baseball game every night and hear it played every night it can lose some of that special connotation. Also, I'm not one to really support required displays of patriotism. At that point it starts meaning the opposite of what it's supposed to.
    I cringe at times at the use of our flag these days. Probably more often than not.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Seitzer
    replied
    This is an issue where I don't care a lot one way or the other. I do think the national anthem can be inspiring at special times. Olympic gold medal ceremonies, inaugurations, things like that. It can remind us of the privileges we have and our shared history and values and so forth. I will also say that if you are at a baseball game every night and hear it played every night it can lose some of that special connotation. Also, I'm not one to really support required displays of patriotism. At that point it starts meaning the opposite of what it's supposed to.

Leave a comment:

• GwynnInTheHall
    replied
    So the NBA issues a statement that EVERY NBA team WILL play the National Anthem before each game.

My question is WHY does it have to be played and ANY sporting event?

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Playing it seems ridiculous to me. And there is no tradition of playing it - the Mavericks started playing the anthem before games all the way back in.....let's see.....1996, lol.
    It seems like every sporting event I used to go to played it. I could be remembering wrong. Been a long time since i have been to a game

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    I'm all for standing if you want to stand, kneeling if you want to kneel. But not playing it at all seems ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Playing it seems ridiculous to me. And there is no tradition of playing it - the Mavericks started playing the anthem before games all the way back in.....let's see.....1996, lol.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    I'm all for standing if you want to stand, kneeling if you want to kneel. But not playing it at all seems ridiculous.
    Why is it ridiculous? I mean it is a tradition, but I am not sure it is an important one.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X