Former Guy Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    As usual Gregg, you don't answer the question--you ask one.

It's pretty simple--I don't believe any who calls themselves a Christian and actually IS one, can vote for or support Trump--Unless their view of being a Christian is one of convenience or selective morality.

Now you can always CALL yourself a Christian and vote for Trump because I know Hypocrisy exists and many make use of it.

But to be practicing Christian who strives every day to live the life Jesus asks of you, there is no way you can vote for or support a person like Trump.
    I ask the questions because many times your questions can be leading, or a trap, or just a plain statement wrapped up in a question. Now if you were sitting across from me you would see that I am not upset in the least or in anyway putting you down.

So I will tell you that I hate politics. I will tell you that I hated our choices the last two elections.

I am a practicing Christian who strives to live like Jesus. I will tell you I fail often. I am better than I was and not as good as I am going to be.

I am blessed to live in America. God does not call his church to rule on earth as a worldly power. Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s" (Mark 12:17).

Comment

• That's why you see "Christians" freaking out about the Star Spangled Banner being played before ballgames or people kneeling when it's played. That should be such a peripheral issue for a Christian. (Not the justice issues for the people kneeling, but the respect/supremacy concerns for the empire.)
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I think several people answered your question. I am not really sure where u are going with your comment. I will ask a more direct question I guess. Do u think Donald Trump's behavior and values are consistent with the teachings of Jesus ?
        No I do not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          And I think way too many "Christians" in America actually worship the American empire rather than worshipping Jesus. Those are not even close to the same thing.
          I disagree

Actually I don't unfortunately
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            No I do not.
            Thanks for responding. I thought that was gith's point so I was puzzled by your response
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Well you CAN, but then you're not really X

At least not from my perspective which is If you're gonna talk the Talk, walk the Walk.
              Which is where we differ. Who you vote for doesn't mean anything to me on walking the walk. I've known many fine Christians who voted for LBJ and/or Nixon, and yet both presidents ledger of wanton injury, maiming, environmental damage, and death in a land we had no business in far outweighs any of Trump's moral failings by a wide margin. Yet, the individuals who voted for either or both are still wonderful Christians.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I think there is a difference between holding your nose, saying "this guy has huge flaws and I recognize their seriousness but I weigh these other things, too, and ultimately after wrestling with it sided on voting for Trump" versus equating support of Trump with being part of God's army. I can disagree with the former but still maintain some measure of respect for the person holding that view, even if I think it's misguided and ultimately harms the country, too. The latter view is extremely dangerous, and it's hard to even reason with that person.
                I agree.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  I think everyone understands that the point GITH is making is that Trump is pretty much an example the exact opposite of The teachings of Jesus. Do you disagree with that ?
                  I do not understand it that way. I believe he wants to set the trap to prove Republican Christians are hypocritical and evil.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Ah, I missed the Kinziger part, and will admit I've read little of the details on that other than hearing his family is shunning him. The LBj/Bush/Clinton/any president discussion is more on the lines of "you can't be X and vote Y".
                    Me too.

Comment

I think there is a difference between holding your nose, saying "this guy has huge flaws and I recognize their seriousness but I weigh these other things, too, and ultimately after wrestling with it sided on voting for Trump" versus equating support of Trump with being part of God's army. I can disagree with the former but still maintain some measure of respect for the person holding that view, even if I think it's misguided and ultimately harms the country, too. The latter view is extremely dangerous, and it's hard to even reason with that person.
                      I agree with this.

Comment

I do not understand it that way. I believe he wants to set the trap to prove Republican Christians are hypocritical and evil.
                        Fair enough. i thought his post was criticizing fake Christians who equated voting for Trump with being a Christian. And opposing trump as being aligned with the devil. Not sure how anyone interpreted it differently, but that is ok.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And I think way too many "Christians" in America actually worship the American empire rather than worshipping Jesus. Those are not even close to the same thing.
                          I agree. I will add too many non Christians do the same.

Comment

That's why you see "Christians" freaking out about the Star Spangled Banner being played before ballgames or people kneeling when it's played. That should be such a peripheral issue for a Christian. (Not the justice issues for the people kneeling, but the respect/supremacy concerns for the empire.)
                            I do not agree.

I think some draw the line in the sand here as they fear if they give an inch the mile will be their freedom to worship.

I also think many people are just their version of Patriotic that happen to be Christian. In their Patriotic Zeal they forget that they are to love their neighbors, they are to turn the other cheek. They are to forgive. They are to show grace and kindness.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Who anyone votes for does not reflect their faith.
                              Are you stating that as fact (because if so... it's not correct for some people) or are you stating that just as an excuse for those who voted for a candidate who clearly does not reflect their faith, so they can just say "it's unrelated to my faith"?

Comment

I do not agree.

I think some draw the line in the sand here as they fear if they give an inch the mile will be their freedom to worship.

I also think many people are just their version of Patriotic that happen to be Christian. In their Patriotic Zeal they forget that they are to love their neighbors, they are to turn the other cheek. They are to forgive. They are to show grace and kindness.
                                Do you actually think people in the America will lose their freedom to worship. Or that is a reasonable concern? This seems like a conspiracy theory to me. If people actually believe this it explains a lot of the issues are country has, because it is not based in reality at all.

EDIT: actually your comment explains a lot. Anyone who thinks that Christians will lose their freedom to worship in America is someone who is not grounded in reality.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X