• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    Also to be clear -
    I am not celebrating Amazon getting the money. I was initially taking a shot at AOC for thinking and selling that NYC actually had 3Billion to give Amazon that should be budgeted otherwise. She's a ton of personality - but she keeps sticking her foot in her mouth.

Also
    to add - I may not like government giving large corporations the money either - but Im not stupid and realize that the long term benefit may outweigh my frustration that "the rich guy" just got more.
    Yeah, i eventually figured that part out

Leave a comment:

• baldgriff
    replied
    Also to be clear -
    I am not celebrating Amazon getting the money. I was initially taking a shot at AOC for thinking and selling that NYC actually had 3Billion to give Amazon that should be budgeted otherwise. She's a ton of personality - but she keeps sticking her foot in her mouth.

Also to add - I may not like government giving large corporations the money either - but Im not stupid and realize that the long term benefit may outweigh my frustration that "the rich guy" just got more.

Leave a comment:

• baldgriff
    replied
    Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Probably...because there are winners and losers, and the winners should get more because they deserve more. It's the natural state of things. It's only pragmatic to acknowledge this obvious truth.
    Capitalism is by nature a competition. Winners get prizes or benefits that the losers dont (as is the case in any game played at a high level). You correctly state it is the natural state of competition. So as a pragmatist, I must acknowledge what appears to be the obvious truth.

You have me pegged! Whew.

Leave a comment:

• baldgriff
    replied
    Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    How can you rationalize a payment of money or tax credits to Amazon as creating competitive markets ? It does the opposite.
    Because the 25000 some people that will be employed there will bring new people there that will create needs for other restraunts, markets, dentists, doctors, hospitals, car dealerships, day care providers, insurance providers, barbers, bartenders and so on and so on. Sure you're not getting 25000 new people, but you are raising the earning capability of 25,000 people and the families that come with it. There will be more jobs created in OTHER markets that will either be new or revitalize existing business. Its not just the 25,000 people, its all of the other people associated with it.

I agree that the tax credit to Amazon will likely limit competition in the specific market Amazon is in. However it will bring serious competition in so many other arenas of business which is good for the economic growth of the area.

Leave a comment:

• nots
    replied
    right on queue the Amazon van pulls outside my driveway

You can believe this or not: I hate Amazon and do not have an account with them.

Leave a comment:

• baldgriff
    replied
    Government has to interact with private business. governments paying subsidies/changing tax codes/ etc to lure large companies is the exact opposite of free market trade.
    On the opposite side of that - arent there cities very dependant on their relationship and interactions between private business and Federal Government? Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrup Gruman all are top 3 companies that government contracts with for goods and services. These companies won contracts from governments to provide goods and services and because of those contracts - people moved into the cities where they are located either to work for the Company or Service the people that now live in the area due to the jobs created by the contracts to do work.

Now it may be possible that those contracts disappear - and the Local Government will have to figure out ways to replace the tax base it is built on. They may find offering tax break incentives to large employers as a means of making sure the city doesn't go bankrupt a good option - and necessary to survive.

Leave a comment:

• nots
    replied
    [QUOTE=The Feral Slasher;333037]
    Originally posted by nots View Post

again, that is what I said consistently thruout this post. I never commented a single time about the reps of NYC or there actions, but apparently I wasn't clear ?
    And I never said I supported tax benefits nor did I ever say I was celebrating (to use your word) Amazon getting said tax benefits. Apparently after saying that 4 or 5 times, I wasn’t clear.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    right on queue the Amazon van pulls outside my driveway

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    [QUOTE=nots;333034]
    Let me boil it down.
    I don’t think NYC should be giving tax benefits to Amazon.
    The reality is cities are going to give tax benefits to Amazon in order to gain the jobs, prestige and most importantly, tax money from its employees.
    If the people of NYC are in favor of Amazon coming, and Amazon selects NYC, I think it’s dumb for the elected Reps of NYC to now discourage Amazon from coming.
    I don’t believe NYC should be giving tax benefits to Amazon.
    again, that is what I said consistently thruout this post. I never commented a single time about the reps of NYC or there actions, but apparently I wasn't clear ?

Leave a comment:

• DMT
    replied
    perhaps you misunderstand ?
    Probably...because there are winners and losers, and the winners should get more because they deserve more. It's the natural state of things. It's only pragmatic to acknowledge this obvious truth.

Leave a comment:

• nots
    replied
    [QUOTE=The Feral Slasher;333030]

i guess I don't understand why you are arguing with me then, that was my whole point
    Let me boil it down.
    I don’t think NYC should be giving tax benefits to Amazon.
    The reality is cities are going to give tax benefits to Amazon in order to gain the jobs, prestige and most importantly, tax money from its employees.
    If the people of NYC are in favor of Amazon coming, and Amazon selects NYC, I think it’s dumb for the elected Reps of NYC to now discourage Amazon from coming.
    I don’t believe NYC should be giving tax benefits to Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Aligning the interests of the state with monopolies sounds more like fascism than libertarianism.
    perhaps you misunderstand ?

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    [QUOTE=nots;333026]

Yes, that certainly reads like I support corporate welfare—especially the sentence where I say ‘subsidizing Amazon is stupid’.
    i guess I don't understand why you are arguing with me then, that was my whole point

Leave a comment:

• DMT
    replied
    Aligning the interests of the state with monopolies sounds more like fascism than libertarianism.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    Capitalism is an economic system that is characterized by private property, freedom of economic exchange, competitive markets and limited government intervention. While the government doesn't set prices in a free market, the market does through the law of supply and demand.
    How can you rationalize a payment of money or tax credits to Amazon as creating competitive markets ? It does the opposite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X