Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heyelander
    replied
    i can sort of see it though... I mean, we should know more about the possibility of life there before we disrupt whatever is going on. I think it's a conversation, where if you don't just go into it thinking, "frickin' snowflake", you can question disrupting another planet's process in the name of resources or raw materials. It's possible we just don't know enough of what is going on.

Then again, maybe the plan for some planets is for alien life forms to influence them... I mean, that's how we got the pyramids, right?

And Baby It's Cold Outside is all about rape culture.

Leave a comment:

• B-Fly
    replied
    Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    http://newjersey.news12.com/story/39...s-cold-outside

also NOT a parody:

A number of radio stations around the U.S. are taking the song "Baby It's Cold Outside" off the air because some feel the lyrics push the lines.

The song was released 70 years ago, when societal norms were very different, but in the "Me Too" era, its cultural context has changed.

While some may hear the song as playful, others hear something else.

Sondra Miller, CEO of the Cleveland Rape Crisis Center, analyses the line, “I really can't stay. But baby its cold outside."

"We support the decision,” says Miller. “I think it's taking a 2018 lens on a song that was written a very long time ago. The character in the song is saying 'no,' and they're saying well, 'does no really mean yes?' And I think in 2018 what we know is consent is 'yes.'"

People in favor of the decision say to enjoy all the other holiday songs.
    Imagine a Bill Cosby cover of the song. "Say what's in this drink?"

Leave a comment:

• Judge Jude
    replied
    http://newjersey.news12.com/story/39...s-cold-outside

also NOT a parody:

A number of radio stations around the U.S. are taking the song "Baby It's Cold Outside" off the air because some feel the lyrics push the lines.

The song was released 70 years ago, when societal norms were very different, but in the "Me Too" era, its cultural context has changed.

While some may hear the song as playful, others hear something else.

Sondra Miller, CEO of the Cleveland Rape Crisis Center, analyses the line, “I really can't stay. But baby its cold outside."

"We support the decision,” says Miller. “I think it's taking a 2018 lens on a song that was written a very long time ago. The character in the song is saying 'no,' and they're saying well, 'does no really mean yes?' And I think in 2018 what we know is consent is 'yes.'"

People in favor of the decision say to enjoy all the other holiday songs.

Leave a comment:

• Fresno Bob
    replied
    realistically, any society you have on Mars will have to be authoritarian/totalitarian for the first 100 years or so as "survival" is paramount over liberty.

Leave a comment:

• baldgriff
    replied
    Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    So you're saying it's a circle-jerk.
    careful....................

Leave a comment:

• In the Corn
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Doesn't popularity have a lot to do with sex? and money? which, in turn, has a lot to do with sex?
    So you're saying it's a circle-jerk.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Seitzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Survival of the fittest doesn't have much to do with popularity.
    Doesn't popularity have a lot to do with sex? and money? which, in turn, has a lot to do with sex?

Leave a comment:

• Bernie Brewer
    replied
    Um, what 2.0! I think I’m going to need an aspirin this morning.

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    replied
    Originally posted by nullnor View Post
    all life is, is a game where people try to be the boss of everyone else. one big narcissistic popularity contest.
    Survival of the fittest doesn't have much to do with popularity.

Leave a comment:

• nullnor
    Guest replied
    all life is, is a game where people try to be the boss of everyone else. one big narcissistic popularity contest.

Leave a comment:

• nullnor
    Guest replied
    you'd have to find a way to restart mars magnetic field first.

Leave a comment:

• B-Fly
    replied
    marvin_the_martian_upset_postcard-rc62c4feaab9d45c9ab91619a01e1f4a6_vgbaq_8byvr_307.jpg

Marvin is not having it.

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    replied
    Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    What? This has to be a parody.
    I read a couple of her other articles, this is not a parody.

Leave a comment:

• chancellor
    replied
    Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    What? This has to be a parody.
    I'd think so, too, but after this answer by Dr. Prescod-Weinstein, a high ranking, highly credentialed physicist on the NASA Space-X project, relative to Mars colonization I'm not sure, either:

I’m trying to think carefully about what our relationship to Mars should be, and whether we can avoid reproducing deeply entrenched colonial behaviors as we seek to better understand our Solar System. This includes thinking about why our language for developing understandings of environments that are new to us tends to still be colonial: “colonizing Mars” and “exploring” and “developing,” for example. These are deeply fraught terms that have traditionally referred to problematic behaviors by imperialists with those that we would call “indigenous” and “people of color” often on the receiving end of violent activities. . .
    Edit to add: this, and the remainder of her quotes from the article Nots posted, are from a Gizmodo interview.

Leave a comment:

• Sour Masher
    replied
    This is the sort of thing that makes me cringe, because it embodies everything progressives get mocked for. In this case, rightly so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X