No announcement yet.

Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are some clever MoFo's out there...

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• The guys like Brett Kavanaugh who run the show have no special qualities or insights that should oblige us to put up with their bullshit. They would hate for us to realize that.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I appreciate Flake's compromise here. I know that regardless of how this plays out there are folks who will be hurt and outraged, but I think the time-limited investigation is reasonable given the timing of the allegations and the timing of the election. I thought Senator Graham's red-faced, spittle-mouthed noxiousness was going to carry the day. I'm glad that Flake didn't get so caught up in that rally-round-the-Party rage fest that he couldn't find a reasonable path forward. Senator Graham, on the other hand, will never, ever, ever win back my admiration (which I'll acknowledge was pretty limited to begin with).

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          I appreciate Flake's compromise here. I know that regardless of how this plays out there are folks who will be hurt and outraged, but I think the time-limited investigation is reasonable given the timing of the allegations and the timing of the election. I thought Senator Graham's red-faced, spittle-mouthed noxiousness was going to carry the day. I'm glad that Flake didn't get so caught up in that rally-round-the-Party rage fest that he couldn't find a reasonable path forward. Senator Graham, on the other hand, will never, ever, ever win back my admiration (which I'll acknowledge was pretty limited to begin with).
          I am not convinced that one week is enough but I guess we will see. And Graham was just auditioning for the attorney general role.

Lawrence O'Donnell did a pretty good job outlining the Flake decision process on Friday night - and let us not forget Chris Coons who created the compromise with Flakee

Comment

• Sen. John Cornyn, a Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters that he thinks that some senators have their minds made up on Brett Kavanaugh regardless of the process investigation.

“This really isn’t what I would call a fair process. People have already made up their minds, and now they’re just trying to defeat the nomination by any means whatsoever, including an orchestrated smear campaign against the judge. We’ve really hit a new low in judicial nominations and that’s really saying something," he said.

What he doesn't appear to realize is that the entire GOP, sans three or four senators, also have their minds made up.

Comment

• I think we all agree that "sans three or four senators" that they all have their minds made up - on both sides of the aisle. I read it as more of a this is a waste of time, we all know where we plan to vote so lets just get this done and move on.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Sen. John Cornyn, a Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters that he thinks that some senators have their minds made up on Brett Kavanaugh regardless of the process investigation.

“This really isn’t what I would call a fair process. People have already made up their minds, and now they’re just trying to defeat the nomination by any means whatsoever, including an orchestrated smear campaign against the judge. We’ve really hit a new low in judicial nominations and that’s really saying something," he said.

What he doesn't appear to realize is that the entire GOP, sans three or four senators, also have their minds made up.
                Yep, unlike those open minded Dems like Chuck ‘we will fight this at all costs’ Schumer.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  I think we all agree that "sans three or four senators" that they all have their minds made up - on both sides of the aisle. I read it as more of a this is a waste of time, we all know where we plan to vote so lets just get this done and move on.
                  That's the thing, though. Absent the sexual assault allegations, this would have been a close vote, with most Democrats voting 'no' (except maybe Manchin, Heitkamp and Donnelly), and probably all Republicans voting 'yes'. If the allegations and whatever inculpatory or exculpatory evidence found has the potential to swing any of Manchin, Heitkamp and Donnelly and then any of Flake, Collins or Murkowski into the 'no' column, then the investigation is very much not a waste of time from an outcome perspective. It could very well be determinative.

As for me, were I a Senator? I started undecided when the nomination was made, but found myself settling in as a soft 'no' based largely on his record of supporting incredibly expansive views on presidential power even before the allegations. (I was a 'yes' on Gorsuch, FWIW.) The multiple sexual misconduct allegations, in my mind, make voting 'yes' on a lifetime appointment to the US Supreme Court an even riskier proposition, but I'm open to the FBI potentially finding exculpatory evidence. (I don't suspect they will, but I have an open mind.) His angry conspiracy theory rant - particularly where he pulled in the idea that this was orchestrated to exact revenge on behalf of the Clintons - sealed it for me. He sounded like Alex Jones.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                    Yep, unlike those open minded Dems like Chuck ‘we will fight this at all costs’ Schumer.
                    That was Cornyn’s point, so it was made already. Do you disagree with my statement that all but 3 or 4 GOP senators ALSO have made up their minds already? Or are you just being combative?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      That was Cornyn’s point, so it was made already. Do you disagree with my statement that all but 3 or 4 GOP senators ALSO have made up their minds already? Or are you just being combative?
                      Neither. I am taking exception to your implication that only the GOP entered this process with their minds made up. But partisans going to partisan I guess.
                      On a side note: looks like the 3rd accuser is walking her story way back. Color me shocked.

Comment

• B-fly -
                        So this may surprise you - but I agree with you that his "expansive views" on Presidential power are concerning to me also. My biggest beef with this whole process was that the allegations should not have been handled in the manner that they have been.

I dont know if I would say he sounded like Alex Jones, but when people accuse him of being angry - he is coming from a perspective that very few of us have had to deal with. I cant imagine the amount of stress and frustration he has dealt with. He is actually fighting for his life and trying to get his name back. Honestly, I thought much of it was way tamer than many of us would have been. So I really dont take much issue with his emotional reaction.
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

B-fly -
                          So this may surprise you - but I agree with you that his "expansive views" on Presidential power are concerning to me also. My biggest beef with this whole process was that the allegations should not have been handled in the manner that they have been.

I dont know if I would say he sounded like Alex Jones, but when people accuse him of being angry - he is coming from a perspective that very few of us have had to deal with. I cant imagine the amount of stress and frustration he has dealt with. He is actually fighting for his life and trying to get his name back. Honestly, I thought much of it was way tamer than many of us would have been. So I really dont take much issue with his emotional reaction.
                          Assuming he truly knows (or truly believes, to cover the blackout possibility) that he is innocent, then I understand him being angry, and it's why I didn't focus on the fact that he denies the allegations and is angry about them. Rather, I focused on the conspiracy theory "revenge on behalf of the Clintons" thing, because that's right-wing-blogosphere conspiracy theory stuff. You don't just pull that out of nowhere because you're angry and hurt about false allegations. It suggests he's pretty deeply steeped in an anti-Democratic Party, anti-Clintons, anti-"left" conspiracy theory mindset, which is particularly troubling for someone who may have to serve as an impartial jurist on some matters of significant political controversy where left-wing-conspiracy/media conspiracy/deep state cries are among the spaghetti thrown against the wall.

Comment

• I know some have stated that "He wants to overturn Roe v Wade". While I am no supporter of the procedure - if he in fact stated that as his goal or intent that would be something that I would have other concerns about.

I dont think that Roe v Wade needs to be re-adjudicated, the genie is out of the bottle and it will be messier trying to put the genie back in it.

Comment

I know some have stated that "He wants to overturn Roe v Wade". While I am no supporter of the procedure - if he in fact stated that as his goal or intent that would be something that I would have other concerns about.

I dont think that Roe v Wade needs to be re-adjudicated, the genie is out of the bottle and it will be messier trying to put the genie back in it.
                              I recognize and understand the concern many have, but I didn't see enough evidence to draw a conclusion that he would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. I agree that doing so would be incredibly messy, to put it mildly, and very dangerous for women.

Comment

B-fly -

Funny, Hillary Clinton was able to withstand much greater scrutiny over a much longer timeframe of her life yet she never reacted this way. And as B-Fly highlighted, it was just his belligerent tone, but the bizarre RW talking points that he naturally fell back to that is deeply concerning.

Not surprisingly, many of his classmates from Yale are speaking out about what a liar he was about his past drinking. Why isn't lying under oath a concern to any Republicans? Talk about an embarrassment. Sorry I grouped you in with them, simply going by your online persona.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X