Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    missed it.... what did Flake do?
    After putting out the statment that he would vote yes he had a half change of heart. After lots of drama with senators leaving the room and lots of speculation Flake was given the floor and said he would vote it out of committee but would not be comfortable with a floor vote until an FBI investigation about the specific charges of Dr. Ford are investigated and completed in no more than one week. So he bascially said he would vote no if McConnell brought it to the floor without the investigation. Will he do that? Whow knows and the math could still work without him but I imagine Manchin uses this as cover to be a No and Murkowski seems like someone that wants to be a No. Collins probably is still a Yes inmy mind, but if those 3 stuck together then he couldn't pass a Senate vote so maybe McConnell has to give them the investigation. Mitch will know where his votes are and if he calls the vote before the investigation he has his 50.

Comment

• Thanks Frae!
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• What a John McCain type move by Flake! This was bubbling over in a real ugly way, Flake asking for a no more than 1 week FBI investigation or he presumably will withhold his vote on floor, and Flake said he had other support behind scenes, means he is deciding vote and has leverage. It clearly sets up that this is not a stall tactic beyond midterms, 1 wk firm deadline. Really this was too ugly to continue without this compromise measure. Kavanaugh getting voted in with that cloud would be too much, wk will fly by, Kavanaugh will get voted in with a world of different atmosphere.

Comment

• Murkowski with Flake, they don't have the votes sans an investigation.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
            What bothers me is the total disregard Republicans seem to have for the whole process. Grassley says "Let me tell my Democratic friends, if this is the new norm, you better watch out for your nominees" but he was part of the group that denied Garland even getting a hearing. Hatch says "We can’t keep going down this partisan, picky, stupid, dumbass road that has happened around here for so long,” but he has voted for every Republican nominee and against every Democrat nominee during his long tenure and he was also part of the group that denied Garland a hearing. Maybe you have to be an 80+ year old dude with short term memory problems to be in the senate. I used to lean toward Democrat candidates but voted for Republicans 35-40% of the time. Over the last 10 years or so it seems Democrat candidates seem to be poor choices but the Republicans seem to absolutely terrible choices and I rarely vote R any more. 2016 was the first time I voted entirely for one party but I think it may become common for me to just vote for all Democrats.
            I am in exactly the same boat as you.

Comment

• If an investigation happens and this whole thing gets cleared up - then great. Do people assume that they are going to make a definitive decision on what happened? If so, I think people will be very upset. The FBI doesnt make determinations - and as long as everyone understands that they only do the "fact finding" and the decision is up to the Senators then do it.

There has been no due process in this matter. The Clarence Thomas delay was 4 days if I recall. Get it done, so we can put this charade to bed.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

If an investigation happens and this whole thing gets cleared up - then great. Do people assume that they are going to make a definitive decision on what happened? If so, I think people will be very upset. The FBI doesnt make determinations - and as long as everyone understands that they only do the "fact finding" and the decision is up to the Senators then do it.

There has been no due process in this matter. The Clarence Thomas delay was 4 days if I recall. Get it done, so we can put this charade to bed.
                Why do you so often parrot Republican talking points, Mr. Independence?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Murkowski with Flake, they don't have the votes sans an investigation.
                  We'll know in 24 hours. Frae hit this one right - if McConnell has the votes, he'll get it to the floor no later than Tuesday. By my count he has 50, but that's counting Manchin and Collins. If Mitch calls for an investigation, then he's lost one or both of those.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    We'll know in 24 hours. Frae hit this one right - if McConnell has the votes, he'll get it to the floor no later than Tuesday. By my count he has 50, but that's counting Manchin and Collins. If Mitch calls for an investigation, then he's lost one or both of those.
                    Manchin with Flake.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

With cover like this provided by Flake and Murkowski if the Democrats can’t get Manchin to hold the line then my part has problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                        What a John McCain type move by Flake! This was bubbling over in a real ugly way, Flake asking for a no more than 1 week FBI investigation or he presumably will withhold his vote on floor, and Flake said he had other support behind scenes, means he is deciding vote and has leverage. It clearly sets up that this is not a stall tactic beyond midterms, 1 wk firm deadline. Really this was too ugly to continue without this compromise measure. Kavanaugh getting voted in with that cloud would be too much, wk will fly by, Kavanaugh will get voted in with a world of different atmosphere.
                        The bluff-calling B-Fly/senorsheep compromise solution from three days ago... nice! Make it so!
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I tend to get the feeling that the public in general believe that the FBI are going to make some final analysis as to who is or is not telling the truth. Unfortunately, this isnt the case.

I didnt realize I was parroting anyone - I just want there to be a fair trial (and this is a trial - just by another name). Due process is one of the foundations or our legal system and this guy whether you want to believe it or not is being tried in a very public manner for a very serious charge. So everyone, including the public, should be aware and understand the an FBI Investigation is a fact finding mission - they will provide what they find and the Senators will be the judges.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                            With cover like this provided by Flake and Murkowski if the Democrats can’t get Manchin to hold the line then my part has problems.
                            You're still right. Despite our political differences, I agree you've summed this up dead on. If McConnell has the votes, he'll call it up on Tuesday. If he doesn't - and I also agree your Senatorial math is correct - he'll fold and call for the investigation.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I tend to get the feeling that the public in general believe that the FBI are going to make some final analysis as to who is or is not telling the truth. Unfortunately, this isnt the case.

I didnt realize I was parroting anyone - I just want there to be a fair trial (and this is a trial - just by another name). Due process is one of the foundations or our legal system and this guy whether you want to believe it or not is being tried in a very public manner for a very serious charge. So everyone, including the public, should be aware and understand the an FBI Investigation is a fact finding mission - they will provide what they find and the Senators will be the judges.
                              It’s a good move overall, even if no one’s views are changed. The Democrats Problems with the process have now been addressed, even if the FBI doesn’t determine the credibility of the accusers. If Kavanaugh is confirmed, it somewhat mitigates the stain. If something else is turned up, the GOP has the opportunity to abandon ship and move on to Amy Barrett. During the questioning yesterday, the biggest gripe the Democrats kept hitting on was the lack of FBI investigation. That has now been resolved.
                              Sort of sorry to see that Flake is retiring...pretty balsy move. Wish he was staying in the game

Comment

You're still right. Despite our political differences, I agree you've summed this up dead on. If McConnell has the votes, he'll call it up on Tuesday. If he doesn't - and I also agree your Senatorial math is correct - he'll fold and call for the investigation.
                                CNN reported Manchin is with Flake and Murkowski.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X