No announcement yet.

Football In Memoriam thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Nebraska standout RB Ken Clark died from a massive heart attack at age 46. He also played for the Indianapolis Colts from 1990-1992.

Comment

Pat Summerall, whom most of us remember more as a broadcaster than a player, passed away today at age 82.

He and Madden were the best NFL broadcasting team for a while there.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Another one of my favorite RBs gone.....

Former NFL running back Chuck Muncie has died of a heart attack at the age of 60.

"Sadly, we have learned of the untimely passing of Chuck Muncie," Saints owner Tom Benson said in a statement on the team's website. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and other loved ones at this difficult time."

Muncie, who also played for the San Diego Chargers, was a three-time Pro Bowler who rushed for*6,702 yards and 71 rushing touchdowns in 110 career games.
        "Everyone at the Chargers is deeply saddened by the passing of Chuck Muncie, one of the greatest running backs in Chargers history," the team said in a statement. "We will remember him as a tremendous athlete with a larger-than-life personality. It's a sad day for all of us and all Chargers fans."

Comment

His brain will be studied as part of the ongoing research into post-career effects of concussions.

Comment

Deacon Jones, a prototype of the pass-rushing defensive end who became a master of the sack and one of the N.F.L.’s greatest defensive players with the Los Angeles Rams’ line known as the Fearsome Foursome, died on Monday in Anaheim Hills, Calif. He was 74.

Deacon Jones parlayed his size — 6 feet 5 inches and 270 pounds or so — his strength and his agility to glamorize defensive play.
            His death was announced by the Washington Redskins through their general manager, Bruce Allen, whose father, George Allen, coached Jones with the Rams and the Washington Redskins.

Mr. Jones, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980 after a 14-year career, used his size and strength to glamorize defensive play and master the sack, mostly for the Los Angeles Rams.

Comment

Deacon was one of Canton, Ohio's favorite returning enshrinees.

We would sit for hours just listening to him and other lineman from his time tell stories. Priceless!

He'll be missed greatly during HOF weekend.

Comment

Fun fact: Deacon Jones attempted a singing career and was briefly backed by the musicians who would become War.

Comment

DE Will Wynn (Eagles 1973-76, Redskins 1977) passed away today at 64 of heart failure.

The official source of Philadelphia Eagles headlines, news, videos, photos, tickets, rosters, stats, schedule, and gameday information. Go Birds!

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                    Deacon was one of Canton, Ohio's favorite returning enshrinees.

We would sit for hours just listening to him and other lineman from his time tell stories. Priceless!

He'll be missed greatly during HOF weekend.
                    He and Phil Villapiano are 2 of my favorites on those Top 10 shows they do on the NFL network.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      He and Phil Villapiano are 2 of my favorites on those Top 10 shows they do on the NFL network.
                      Funny story about Phil Villipiano.....my wife's cousin's son goes to Brown University.

The kid across the hall from him is Phil's son and he told me Phil visits quite often.

So, I gave him one of my football cards of Phil and Phil signed it for me. Awesome!

Comment

Dave Jennings, a Pro Bowl punter and a long-time New York football broadcaster who fought a long and brave battle against Parkinson’s disease, died at his New Jersey home on Wednesday morning. He was 61.

Comment

(CNN) -- Paul Oliver, who played defensive back at the University of Georgia then in the NFL for the San Diego Chargers, was found dead Tuesday night from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot, police in suburban Atlanta said.
                          He was 29. Oliver played for the Chargers from 2007 to 2011, recording 144 tackles in 57 games.

Attached Files

Comment

L.C. Greenwood, former Pittsburgh Steeler, 4 time Super Bowl champion, and 6 time Pro Bowler died today of natural causes at age 67. He should have been in the Hall of Fame already. RIP #68.

otl_ap_lcgreenwood1_300.jpg
                            Last edited by madducks; 09-29-2013, 03:07 PM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

"Bum" Phillips, the former NFL football coach, who led the Houston Oilers to glory and struggled with the New Orleans Saints, died at age 90.

Comment

My favorite Bum-ism:

“There’s two kinds of coaches: them that’s been fired, and them that’s gonna be fired.”

Comment

Working...
                                X