La'El Collins Signs with Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La'El Collins Signs with Dallas

a big coup for Dallas, who adds a 1st round tackle to an already killer offensive line.

So I've been insanely busy and haven't been able to following things closely. What's the deal with this guy? I see that he was question in a murder, but not considered a suspect? Why would his stock drop so far that he wouldn't be drafted?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      So I've been insanely busy and haven't been able to following things closely. What's the deal with this guy? I see that he was question in a murder, but not considered a suspect? Why would his stock drop so far that he wouldn't be drafted?
      There's something that we're not seeing/hearing here. There is no way that a 1st round talent drops totally out of the draft based on being questioned in a murder investigation. The NFL knows something, and passed along the information to all of the clubs in the league, IMO. Otherwise SOMEONE take a shot at the guy with a 7th rounder...

I'm betting that Dallas got so much flak from the Hardy signing, so this one might go under the radar.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Just because the cops say someone's not a suspect doesn't mean it's true. If he was indeed the father of the baby of the murdered woman, he's a logical person to be considered.

A quirk in the NFL rules is that if you are eligible for a draft and go undrafted, you are not eligible for any subsequent drafts, but if you are drafted and don't sign, you are eligible for the following year's draft. Therefore, it made no sense to take him with a low-round pick, because he would have declined to signed and entered the 2016 draft, where he would have been a higher pick (assuming he was cleared in the investigation). His agent announced after Round 3 that he would not sign if anyone took him in rounds 4 through 7.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I'm still surprised someone didn't burn a 7th rounder on him to prevent what Dallas did.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Dallas has a history of ignoring Character for performance. Not saying Collins is one of those, but he could be.

BTW, a paternity test already ruled him out as the father and he passed a lie detector test so this may indeed be a coup for the Cowboys, still.......
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              I'm still surprised someone didn't burn a 7th rounder on him to prevent what Dallas did.
              Collins' agent asked them not to, if it matters.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Dallas has a history of ignoring Character for performance. Not saying Collins is one of those, but he could be.

BTW, a paternity test already ruled him out as the father and he passed a lie detector test so this may indeed be a coup for the Cowboys, still.......
              Not exactly. That team would be Cincinnati.

Dallas has been willing to take on some players with high profile misconduct, e.g. Hardy, but the team as a whole is pretty straight laced. Last season they went a long way toward turning the defense around with a blue collar, no stars approach.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                Collins' agent asked them not to, if it matters.

Not exactly. That team would be Cincinnati.

Dallas has been willing to take on some players with high profile misconduct, e.g. Hardy, but the team as a whole is pretty straight laced. Last season they went a long way toward turning the defense around with a blue collar, no stars approach.

J
                Michael Irvin and I could go on, but I'm in a hurry.

But it's not surprising you're wrong yet again.

Stick to the Comedy, you're better at that.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm still surprised someone didn't burn a 7th rounder on him
                  And it would have been a wasted pick because he would have been able to sit out the season and re-enter the draft next year. See my post above.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    And it would have been a wasted pick because he would have been able to sit out the season and re-enter the draft next year. See my post above.
                    The purpose wouldn't have been to sign him, but to prevent him from going, relatively cheaply, to a rival team. Sure, you lose a 7th Round pick, but force a team next year to burn a high pick and cap space to get him.

Comment

The purpose wouldn't have been to sign him, but to prevent him from going, relatively cheaply, to a rival team. Sure, you lose a 7th Round pick, but force a team next year to burn a high pick and cap space to get him.
                      Exactly, it would have been as much a defensive move for a team as adding a player...something still isn't right with this situation.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Michael Irvin and I could go on, but I'm in a hurry.

But it's not surprising you're wrong yet again.

Stick to the Comedy, you're better at that.
                        Irvin was a fantastic locker room presence and a stellar example of a professional. Opposing coaches used to bring their own players to his workouts. He had one off the field bump late in his career. Try getting your facts straight.

Don't try comedy. You have no talent for it.

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Exactly, it would have been as much a defensive move for a team as adding a player...something still isn't right with this situation.
                        I posted it above, but I think it bears repeating. Collins' agent asked teams not to draft him on day three. Of course, this was also before the results of the tests, the interview and the polygraph.

j
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

NFL GMs value draft picks, even 7th round ones, way too much to do something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            NFL GMs value draft picks, even 7th round ones, way too much to do something like that.
                            Which highlights the arrogance of GMs. 7th rounders are retained at mid to upper single digit rates. I'd venture that a team that took Collins late would have had at least a 10% chance of signing him, and if not, a very high chance of hurting another team.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Irvin was a fantastic locker room presence and a stellar example of a professional. Opposing coaches used to bring their own players to his workouts. He had one off the field bump late in his career. Try getting your facts straight.

j
                              Who was a cocaine addict and arrested many times but he's a shining example for us all to follow,

Dez Bryant.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X