*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Does that dropbox link work for anyone else? https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe1c1enhg9...iveupload?dl=0
    Does this work?

EDIT: I think I uploaded the previous link too soon

Comment

Year spans sheet (3 years or 5 year spans)

I know this is more data than we need (it's literally everyone, including pitchers who hit), but I'd rather start with that and let you guys pare it down rather than miss something.
      That's amazing!

You're a wizard Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Does this work?

EDIT: I think I uploaded the previous link too soon
        Yes this works, and I have the formulas to get your answers on franchizes. Excel is a little slow, so once it catches up I'll get you the answers

Comment

Have we figured out how many franchises there are total once the BR designations that are the same franchise are combined?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            Have we figured out how many franchises there are total once the BR designations that are the same franchise are combined?
            Yeah. We are using the same as before. KS had all the old data stored in a spreadsheet. And the new Lahman database has the same team / franshise codes.

Comment

Yes this works, and I have the formulas to get your answers on franchizes. Excel is a little slow, so once it catches up I'll get you the answers
              Heh, I got the answers but the formulas are huge so we have a 30 MB spreadsheet. I'm paring it down by adjusting how the formulas work.

Comment

Heh, I got the answers but the formulas are huge so we have a 30 MB spreadsheet. I'm paring it down by adjusting how the formulas work.
                We can use that as a reference sheet for the future.

Then we can just "rasterize" the data for now ... or whatever the computing version of rasterization is.

Comment

I pared it down.

A few notes -
                  1) There's at least one player issue (A.J. Pierzynski I'm sure due to the periods). Worth looking through for others. Can probably just sort the 2nd tab by the max years to find them.
                  2) If editing the formulas, make sure that sheet 2. and 3. have the same column A - I'm not doing a lookup there, just assuming that they are going to be the same.
                  3) I went ahead and created a text representation of the franchises in column AN. i.e. Hank Aaron has "ATL" and Ed Abbaticchio has "ATL,PIT". This is in addition to the tick marks.
                  ** note the tick marks on (3) are strings "1" instead of numbers (1). Did this so I could use "" in the formula for the blank cells.

I'm sure this can be improved slightly but I think it gets us 95% of the way there.

Comment

That's awesome ... i'll go through all that tonight when I hit the "quiet hours".

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      That's awesome ... i'll go through all that tonight when I hit the "quiet hours".
                      I thought that was when you wash windows ?
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        I thought that was when you wash windows ?
                        Correct.

Comment

"wash windows"
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            "wash windows"
                            and correct.

Comment

Welcome RJ's newest member jmaeroff, who will be joining us for VD15!
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Welcome RJ's newest member jmaeroff, who will be joining us for VD15!
                                curious, how did he get in? Bryon never could.

Comment

Working...
                                X