*** VD 14 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    We would need to decide if we are going to make it dynamic of just create a static list of available "peak years". The later might be easier.

We will need a lot more player data on the sheet, though I have the 2019 Lahman sheets to make that a lot easier.

If we are to make it dynamic, we'd need to create a way for players to plug in year ranges.

The static option is definitely easier and certainly doable, especially with Lahman.
    Not following you exactly.

How do the Lahman sheets make it easier?

And as far as static or dynamic what do you mean

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Static is what this draft is....
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Bene has been around since the last pick, but apparently also at church.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          Bene has been around since the last pick, but apparently also at church.
          Maybe he is torturing himself with indecision
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Sorry I'll try and get to it as soon as possible. Everything is on fire here at church right now.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

So we can:

(a) compile a list of static 3-year and 5-year peak lines (as above with Pedro)

or

(b) include all the best years for all the players (which is much larger than the current SS), and then create an interface where the spreadsheet auto-generates the peak BY from the individual years. But obviously this is not sortable.

Having worked on this previously, (a) the static option, is the much better option because it allows the data to be sortable. I think this is what you are talking about. you'd be surprised how obvious the 3 and 5 year options are, even for players ho had long careers.

I experimented with this 8 years ago (8 years!) and came up with this (the year code format probably needs amended to e.g. 195759):

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Maybe he is torturing himself with indecision
                Guaranteed this is a euphemism.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  Sorry I'll try and get to it as soon as possible. Everything is on fire here at church right now.
                  again...
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    again...
                    you will really like all the euphemisms in this post. It will drive you insane

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    For work, I have a HP 11.6" laptop with 16MB, i5-7300U CPU, and a 500 GB hard drive. Only two USB ports, which is a huge negative. OTOH, it's been exceptionally reliable, runs two screens easily, grinds through conventional MS Office stuff (can run four pretty big spreadsheets simultaneously, no problem), decent photo editing, acceptable CAD. It's super light and easy to transport. It's quiet and runs cool.

My personal computer is an older Asus, 15.6", upgraded to 16 MB, i3 CPU, 1 TB hard drive. Three USB ports. Good with MS Office, though I can only run 2-3 big spreadsheets simultaneously. I like the larger screen and numeric keypad, but that comes at a price of more weight and more difficult to lug around. But it works well. But it's not a gaming computer.

Back in my Starcraft gaming days, you couldn't drive me away from a custom desktop. Since I've given up Starcraft for Pokemon Go, laptops work great for me.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I can do it automatically if you need me to, that's like 10 minutes of work at most assuming I have all the data correct (and I can spot check the data against a known good source of your choosing, i.e. the spreadsheet).
                      The Lahman database has ALL the data (this wasn't available until recently):

That has everything updated through 2019. I grabbed the franchise data yesterday, but I need to find a way to assign the decade eligibility ... which would probably be a very simple job for you.

The franchise rule is basically:

- A player is eligible to qualify for a Franchise if they played 5 years or more for that franchise (non-consecutively). If a player fails to meet this minimum criteria, his Franchise eligibility will be determined by the team(s) he played the most seasons for.

Lahman contains a comprehensive player-season database (for hitters and pitchers). I presume we'd need to sort using that complete sheet, then extract the results to the car_hit and car_pit sheets.

I have already added the franchise codes to the batting and pitching. I can email this to you. might be too big for Dropbox (I'll link anyway in case)

Complete Hitting With Franchise Added

Complete Pitching With Franchises Added

* Note some players will have multiple eligibility.

** Note we will also be compiling some of the smaller franchises into groups (ONA, OEF). But we can do that later I suppose, because I can't recall the criteria.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        So we can:

(a) compile a list of static 3-year and 5-year peak lines (as above with Pedro)

or

(b) include all the best years for all the players (which is much larger than the current SS), and then create an interface where the spreadsheet auto-generates the peak BY from the individual years. But obviously this is not sortable.

Having worked on this previously, (a) the static option, is the much better option because it allows the data to be sortable. I think this is what you are talking about. you'd be surprised how obvious the 3 and 5 year options are, even for players ho had long careers.

I experimented with this 8 years ago (8 years!) and came up with this (the year code format probably needs amended to e.g. 195759):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dgu840393...ears.xlsx?dl=0
                        Yeah, I can provide a list pretty quickly of the static set given some kind of input. Hell I could create a list for *everyone* if needed but that spreadsheet would be huge. I have basically the Lehman database on my local laptop (but I pulled it from BR instead of Lehman).
                        It's pretty trivial for me to create something like this, given a set of inputs.

I'm curious, lets say we are doing 3 year sets, do we require all 3 years? Or, what if they were injured year 2, can they still have say 1931 and 1933 if they were out 1932? And what about on the edges? It plays more for pitchers (i.e. ratios) than hitters where you lose all the counting stats.

Comment

Yeah, I can provide a list pretty quickly of the static set given some kind of input. Hell I could create a list for *everyone* if needed but that spreadsheet would be huge. I have basically the Lehman database on my local laptop (but I pulled it from BR instead of Lehman).
                          It's pretty trivial for me to create something like this, given a set of inputs.

I'm curious, lets say we are doing 3 year sets, do we require all 3 years? Or, what if they were injured year 2, can they still have say 1931 and 1933 if they were out 1932? And what about on the edges? It plays more for pitchers (i.e. ratios) than hitters where you lose all the counting stats.
                          Consecutive years only. Injuries don't matters. The only exception would be WW2. even that could be excluded to be honest. The point is to create a new and different data set for variety, not for extreme realism.

We could compile a large spreadsheet with all the data (BY, decades, franchises, 3-year and 5-year peaks), and then trim it down for the final sheet. Could the sheets I sent you in post #970 could be made into be master sheets that we could build everything from.

Comment

• Sorry to delay. Fucked up time at church, for sure.

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Well, I haven't checked your pick, and so long as it isn't my guy, that's cool. Unless it is one of the other three guys I really need, too. I figure I should get two of my four if you don't take one since Controller Jacobs only has two picks in between, lol.

Comment

• Snider was a great pick. I am surprised he lasted that long. And I can't draft him anyway due to decades, so it was a very great pick, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X