Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Playing in 48F....brrrrr
    Well last night it was closer to 50F, but swirling cold winds and intermittent light rain. With 2 outs and the bases loaded i just missed a flyball I should have got to and they went on to score about 6 runs, so I was pretty bummed and started to wonder what the hell I was doing trying to play baseball. Thru 5 innings we were getting beat pretty badly again. Blanked in the first game and no runs thru 5 in the second game. in the sixth our two first batters got out, then a couple walks and a hit, and the bases are loaded...of course I am up. What are the chances my first two AB of the season are with the bases loaded.

First pitch was a breaking ball that ended up a foot outside...of course I swung and missed. Fouled off the second pitch. Down 0-2 again, damn. Then a low curveball. Fourth pitch was inside, but not that far inside, might have been a strike...I swung and got jammed and hit it off the handle...but as I start trotting to first I glance to my left and see the third baseman frantically running backward...and he couldn't get to it. It dropped over his head and I got my first hit and the teams first RBI. It wasn't an amazing hit, but it was pretty cool to get a hit and get our team on the scoreboard for the year. Next guy walked, so we ended up with two runs. That was our last AB as the game was called after 2:45 minutes. I am sore all over today and have another bruise on my knee. At least I won't go hitless this year !
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Congrats on the Texas leaguer!
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        Congrats on the Texas leaguer!
        Thanks ! I was so happy to put the ball in play and not strikeout.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• watching the Diamondbacks, and I feel like I need to be a Zac Gallen fan since he is about the only baseball player that wears glasses like I do.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            watching the Diamondbacks, and I feel like I need to be a Zac Gallen fan since he is about the only baseball player that wears glasses like I do.
            I wonder why he doesnt wear contacts instead

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

I wonder why he doesnt wear contacts instead
              Yeah, seems odd. He also didn't wear glasses when batting apparently.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Saw news that "MLB World is Mourning the Death of Legendary Shortstop" and clicked on it. Saw Dick Groat died at 91. Saw he had been and MVP in the 60s and wondered how, after all the drafts we have done, how I'd never heard of the guy. His MVP Line in 1960 was 2Hrs, 50 RBIs, 85Runs, 0 SBs. He did hit .325 that year to lead the league, but he had an OPS of .766.

What the fuck were people doing that year? Did everyone just hang out and chill the whole year?

He was a 5 time allstar while accumulating a grand total of 39 HRs in his 14 year career. That must have been some amazing D and Intangibles.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  Saw news that "MLB World is Mourning the Death of Legendary Shortstop" and clicked on it. Saw Dick Groat died at 91. Saw he had been and MVP in the 60s and wondered how, after all the drafts we have done, how I'd never heard of the guy. His MVP Line in 1960 was 2Hrs, 50 RBIs, 85Runs, 0 SBs. He did hit .325 that year to lead the league, but he had an OPS of .766.

What the fuck were people doing that year? Did everyone just hang out and chill the whole year?

He was a 5 time allstar while accumulating a grand total of 39 HRs in his 14 year career. That must have been some amazing D and Intangibles.
                  Groat was inducted into the Pirates HOF last week. Interesting piece in the Athletic, apparently he also played professional basketball.

They stole Dick Groat’s World Series rings, but there are some things you just can’t steal - The Athletic

Like many of today’s NBA stars, Groat played in the league before he earned his college degree. Only he wasn’t a one-and-done superstar who turned pro. His finished all of his college eligibility in basketball and baseball but needed a few more class credits for his Duke degree when the Fort Wayne Pistons (who would move to Detroit five years later) drafted him in 1952. Groat had already started playing shortstop for his hometown Pirates that summer without ever spending a day in the minor leagues.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Saw news that "MLB World is Mourning the Death of Legendary Shortstop" and clicked on it. Saw Dick Groat died at 91. Saw he had been and MVP in the 60s and wondered how, after all the drafts we have done, how I'd never heard of the guy. His MVP Line in 1960 was 2Hrs, 50 RBIs, 85Runs, 0 SBs. He did hit .325 that year to lead the league, but he had an OPS of .766.

Mays was better in 1960 but Groat was the best player on the Pirates, who were easily the best team in the NL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Mays was better in 1960 but Groat was the best player on the Pirates, who were easily the best team in the NL.
                      Cripes, there were 4 Pirates in the top 10, and then Aaron down at 11 with a line of 40/126/102 .292/.352/.919 with a WAR of 8 (second only to Mays at 9.5 that season, and 2 wins above Groat)
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Cripes, there were 4 Pirates in the top 10, and then Aaron down at 11 with a line of 40/126/102 .292/.352/.919 with a WAR of 8 (second only to Mays at 9.5 that season, and 2 wins above Groat)
                        Yeah I saw that too - they were clearly going for best player on best team above all else.

Comment

• Search function isn't working for me but I think we talked about picking up hitchhikers at one point. I was on the way to the beach in Hawaii this morning and was on a curvy country road. Saw an older guy and he put his thumb out. I hesitated, but stopped about 50 yards past him. He came running and his pants fell down. Eventually he made it into the car. He was feeling pretty good with a malt liquor in one hand and a lighter in the other.

So he said his house was two miles down the road . He asked where I was from, and when I said Seattle he wanted to know if I played for the Seahawks. Then we saw a mongoose scurry across the road. He then explained to me how you can teach them to speak English. And they can also be taught to smoke weed ! At this point we must have driven two miles and I am wondering how this ends, if he really has a house.

Unfortunately he did, and so that was the end of my mini adventure. This is the kind of info you never get if you just buy the mainstream guidebooks, lol
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            Search function isn't working for me but I think we talked about picking up hitchhikers at one point. I was on the way to the beach in Hawaii this morning and was on a curvy country road. Saw an older guy and he put his thumb out. I hesitated, but stopped about 50 yards past him. He came running and his pants fell down. Eventually he made it into the car. He was feeling pretty good with a malt liquor in one hand and a lighter in the other.

So he said his house was two miles down the road . He asked where I was from, and when I said Seattle he wanted to know if I played for the Seahawks. Then we saw a mongoose scurry across the road. He then explained to me how you can teach them to speak English. And they can also be taught to smoke weed ! At this point we must have driven two miles and I am wondering how this ends, if he really has a house.

Unfortunately he did, and so that was the end of my mini adventure. This is the kind of info you never get if you just buy the mainstream guidebooks, lol
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Lol....didn't end like that fortunately
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• anyone home ? Hello?
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X