*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Got a new glove...It's like a new pair of underwear: At first, it's constrictive, but after awhile it becomes a part of you.
    Had to get size 13 cleats ...maybe it all the growth hormones I have been taking. They felt pretty good on the turf field, much better than the crappy old running shoes I was using
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Had to get size 13 cleats ...maybe it all the growth hormones I have been taking. They felt pretty good on the turf field, much better than the crappy old running shoes I was using
      Are your feet this big?

Attached Files
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

Are your feet this big?

Those look like size 14, so no
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Those look like size 14, so no
          My mistake
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

My mistake
            well the rest of it looks like me, so i understand
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• How was the game?

Comment

How was the game?
                Decent movie if you like plot twists at the end.

Might be the best of Michael Douglas's late career. Haven't seen it in a while though.

Why do you ask?

Comment

How was the game?
                  Thanks for asking....oh man was it rough. I figured out that we are an expansion team in this league and the score reflected that...nothing more I want to say there. The positive is that everyone has a great attitude and is supportive of all the the team members regardless of what is going on and everyone has a great attitude so far...hope that continues or it will be a really tough year.

So we had a 9 am game, I arrived at 830 and proceeded to get rained on for the next 3.5 hours. It was 48F, a 10mph wind, and lots of seattle rain. Not hard rain, but hard enough to make everyone wet and uncomfortable and the ball slippery. The field was a newer turf field so mud wasn't an issue fortunately.

I played half the game in RF. Got one towering fly ball that I was able to catch, a couple line drives i got in front of and didn't make any errors. I did need to run pretty hard to cut off a liner and hit my knee when i reached down for it. Have a nice bruise and swollen knee today. our team only got two hits, so I got one only one AB. Their first pitcher had a perfect game thru 4 innings with about 8 or 9 K's. They replaced him and the new pitcher walked the bases loaded...which is when i stepped to the plate.

I figured I should take the first pitch, it was a fastball for a strike. Second pitch was also a fastball, I made good contact, but hit a hard grounder a couple feet foul down the left field line. Ok, now I'm behind. Third pitch curveball, I fouled it off the end of the bat. Fourth and fifth pitches were low fastballs I took for balls, then a high breaking ball. so full count and he threw a curveball right at the knees that I swung over. So a decent at bat, but not a good result.

It was encouraging that I can get around on the fastball, even against pitchers 25-30 years younger than me, even given my limited experience. Going to hit the batting cages a couple times this week and go to the faster pitches...but only getting an AB or two each week I think I may struggle identifying the curveball that it appears guys in the league like to throw when they get ahead. I might need to swing early in the count before they are as likely to go offspeed. Next game is 6PM sunday under the lights, hope to get a few more at bats and that i and the rest of the team show some improvement.
                  Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 04-17-2023, 06:03 PM.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Playing in 48F....brrrrr

Comment

I figured I should take the first pitch, it was a fastball for a strike. Second pitch was also a fastball, I made good contact, but hit a hard grounder a couple feet foul down the left field line. Ok, now I'm behind. Third pitch curveball, I fouled it off the end of the bat. Fourth and fifth pitches were low fastballs I took for balls, then a high breaking ball. so full count and he threw a curveball right at the knees that I swung over. So a decent at bat, but not a good result.

It was encouraging that I can get around on the fastball, even against pitchers 25-30 years younger than me, even given my limited experience. Going to hit the batting cages a couple times this week and go to the faster pitches...but only getting an AB or two each week I think I may struggle identifying the curveball that it appears guys in the league like to throw when they get ahead. I might need to swing early in the count before they are as likely to go offspeed. Next game is 6PM sunday under the lights, hope to get a few more at bats and that i and the rest of the team show some improvement.
                      Do any of the batting cages have curveball machines? I don't know if that's even a thing at the typical cages.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Decent movie if you like plot twists at the end.

Might be the best of Michael Douglas's late career. Haven't seen it in a while though.

Why do you ask?
                        Big fan. Underrated movie
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Do any of the batting cages have curveball machines? I don't know if that's even a thing at the typical cages.
                          Most don't. After your question I googled it and there is at least one. Throws all sorts of pitches including knuckles. Up to 100mph. 60 bucks an hour though so if I do it would probably look for someone to split the time with me
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Most don't. After your question I googled it and there is at least one. Throws all sorts of pitches including knuckles. Up to 100mph. 60 bucks an hour though so if I do it would probably look for someone to split the time with me
                            100mph knuckballs sound difficult to hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

100mph knuckballs sound difficult to hit.
                              i haven't swung and missed at one yet
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• watching the Pirates game and they were talking about this. Cool stuff

Relievers ElRoy Face, Kent Tekulve highlight Pirates’ second Hall of Fame class; Dick Groat, Bob Friend also honored | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X