*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Sort of, although I think Ken has the ability to refresh live from BB-Ref whenever he wants.
    That's correct

Comment

Here are Round 21 Standings from my spreadsheet at the moment:

Code:
      Team_____	C-Hit	BY-Hit	#H	C-Pit	BY-Pit	#P	Multi	Rank
      Controller_	40.8	38.4	11	49.3	49.8	9	178.3	2
      DMT_____	41.2	46.8	12	49.3	46.4	8	183.8	1
      JohnnyA__	54.6	56.7	14	31.3	31.3	6	173.8	4
      Frae______	35.6	44.8	12	42.2	44.5	8	167.1	8
      El Bene___	42.1	29.5	11	40.3	46.9	9	158.9	11
      Ken______	38.5	44.0	12	40.0	45.9	8	168.4	5
      TS Garp__	34.5	37.7	11	45.8	45.2	9	163.1	10
      Heyelander	41.6	38.7	11	39.8	38.0	9	158.1	13
      Revo_____	42.7	31.7	11	45.7	38.7	9	158.7	12
      Feral Slash	37.8	35.3	11	52.5	50.9	9	176.4	3
      KS_______	38.0	42.9	12	40.4	44.9	8	166.2	9
      Hacko____	49.0	48.3	14	37.7	32.4	6	167.2	7
      mjl_______	50.8	52.3	12	32.8	32.1	8	168.0	6
      I agree with the exception that I have 46.7 in BYP and KS has 44.1. I think that's from the extra 2 saves from Billy Pierce that I had noted here: http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...l=1#post329983

Comment

• So these standings are not matching the SS linked on the draft page.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          So these standings are not matching the SS linked on the draft page.
          Probably not. I've made a lot of the stat updates that Ken has mentioned, and the ones I haven't I think are mostly trivial changes. There were some pretty significant updates to early-round players that I don't think Johnny has incorporated yet.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Probably not. I've made a lot of the stat updates that Ken has mentioned, and the ones I haven't I think are mostly trivial changes. There were some pretty significant updates to early-round players that I don't think Johnny has incorporated yet.
            Ok...seems like we might want to do that before proceeding. I'm showing a nearly two point swing in standings between just CJ and I.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I agree with the exception that I have 46.7 in BYP and KS has 44.1. I think that's from the extra 2 saves from Billy Pierce that I had noted here: http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...l=1#post329983
              Confirmed that when I update Billy Pierce I agree with you.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Ok...seems like we might want to do that before proceeding. I'm showing a nearly two point swing in standings between just CJ and I.
                I haven't had the time to keep up since about Round 10 or so. Anyone else is welcome to undertake the challenge.

Comment

I haven't had the time to keep up since about Round 10 or so. Anyone else is welcome to undertake the challenge.
                  Maybe in the future then we should hold off on making adjustments mid-draft...it just seems odd that we're playing with a moving target.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

So these standings are not matching the SS linked on the draft page.
                    There have been a gazillion small changes to lots of players. I changed some of the earlier players. I'll do the rest over the weekend when I get some time to myself.

As KS said, his version of the SS from the VD Spreadsheet thread is more up to date with regard these changes, but it seems it won't be 100 percent until the last pick is made.

Comment

Maybe in the future then we should hold off on making adjustments mid-draft...it just seems odd that we're playing with a moving target.
                      I agree, but we didn't realise there were so many changes until Ken starts running his pesky algorithms. And if we allow one change, then we have to allow them all.

Comment

• In hindsight we should have locked the eligible stats to what appeared in the spreadsheet at the time the draft started.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          There have been a gazillion small changes to lots of players. I changed some of the earlier players. I'll do the rest over the weekend when I get some time to myself.

As KS said, his version of the SS from the VD Spreadsheet thread is more up to date with regard these changes, but it seems it won't be 100 percent until the last pick is made.
                          I understand and since I'm not doing any of the updating I can't complain. But if this ends up being a close finish it will be unfortunate if decisions were made based on erroneous standings.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

We had a combination of the following:
                            1. Career stats for 2010s decade players in the spreadsheet were sometimes wrong (hadn't been updated in years)
                            2. Some relevant players from the 2010s weren't in the spreadsheet, or their best years weren't in the spreadsheet
                            3. There were some typos (Beltran and Beltre switched around for example, Thome and Abreu names crossed)
                            4. Some players, especially 1870s and 1880s, had their stats updated in BB-Ref since we last downloaded them from Lahman however many years ago

It's hard to find a consistent approach that handles the first three problems and ignores the last one. I would be very uncomfortable with not handling the first three issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              In hindsight we should have locked the eligible stats to what appeared in the spreadsheet at the time the draft started.
                              So this really boils down to what our source data is. If the source data is the spreadsheet, then you have to choose players from the spreadsheet. I know for example in VD12, mjl was taking players that were not listed because he was using bbref.

I asked before this draft started what happens if the spreadsheet disagrees with bbref and the answer was that bbref wins. Remember when Bene picked Deacon White that we confirmed his stats had gotten a lot better, so I thought that applied to everyone.

I think we've decided bbref is the source of data for our draft, so when we find errors in the spreadsheet we correct them as we find them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                So this really boils down to what our source data is. If the source data is the spreadsheet, then you have to choose players from the spreadsheet. I know for example in VD12, mjl was taking players that were not listed because he was using bbref.

I asked before this draft started what happens if the spreadsheet disagrees with bbref and the answer was that bbref wins. Remember when Bene picked Deacon White that we confirmed his stats had gotten a lot better, so I thought that applied to everyone.

I think we've decided bbref is the source of data for our draft, so when we find errors in the spreadsheet we correct them as we find them.
                                Yeah we have always had that rule that bbref is the final word. Nobody has really done anything wrong.

If someone is really adament, we could suspend the draft until after the weekend when I will get some time to update everything.

Could Ken maybe create a version of each of the 4 sheets from his master copy that we could copy onto our sheets?

Comment

Working...
                                X