X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Thanks! Very good info.

A few things I knew I did wrong:

1) Not valuing closers... basically at all - this comes from my regular roto fantasy experience
    2) No basis for replacement levels. My valuations were off from the start and I knew it, because I did not know where to draw the line for replacement. This specifically hurt me in the ERA/WHIP areas.
    3) General lack of prep/plan. Just winging it for a first run through since I didn't know what I was doing. Wasn't expecting to be very competitive (sounds like an excuse because, hell, it is!) In a typically roto league I use some custom built tools, but to create those tools I wanted to have a better understanding of the game first.

If I go at it again I'll be more prepared.
    You did just fine. As you get more experience you'll better understand the value of letters, positions and eras.

Pitching: You didn't need Spahn, and you overshot your career pitching counting stats a bit. That WC needed to be in hitting. With more experience you could have abandoned career ratios earlier. Also, Jack Quinn is poison medicine.

Hitting: It's tough if you leave a bunch of dud letters and tough-to-fill positions to the end. Eric Young was an error with 1 MH slot already invested in Bonds.

Mostly you're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      So does this mean MookieTyme, Heyelander and ALTID4 will also participate ? I'm in as well. Would there be any restriction on KO's from a particular decade ?
      I'm moderately offended that you think I am Johnny's alter ego. I have plenty of ego for both of us....Oh, I'm in if you'll have me

Comment

In like Heye

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Hah, you are right, that was a "hey I should really start taking some of these difficult letters" pick.
          Generally speaking, I like to
          1) leave the difficult letters to late, because mildly better crap doesn't help much more than total crap, and
          2) put the difficult letters into pitching and the good letters into hitting

Those are general rules, to which there are exceptions, but I have seen far too many rookies and/or unsuccessful drafters freak out about having too many difficult letters remaining. You can obviously take it too far the other direction and paint yourself into a corner, but it seems like people's natural tendency is in the direction of trying to swallow a bitter pill while it's a little less bitter. There are a few actually good players like Cy Young and Mel Ott and so forth where it's worth doing that, but taking Eric Young or Mel Queen or Gus Zernial or other actually poor players with a mid-round pick is a mistake.

Having the deadball pitchers included sets the expectation for ratios very differently than we are used to in modern baseball. Nolan Ryan hurts your ratios pretty seriously, for instance, even though a 3.19 ERA seems great in today's game and a 1.25 WHIP doesn't seem that bad.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Of course I'm in.

Comment

KS: I edited Heye's original post

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                KS: I edited Heye's original post
                wrong thread douchebag.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Ken, a useful set of data points for balancing your approach, assuming we're going to keep using multi+1 which I think we are:

Assuming your score in the other 19 categories remains constant, this is your overall score with the given number of points in category #20. The last column is the score gained by moving up one place.

2 171.597
                  3 173.358 1.761
                  4 174.607 1.249
                  5 175.576 0.969
                  6 176.368 0.792
                  7 177.038 0.669
                  8 177.617 0.580
                  9 178.129 0.512
                  10 178.587 0.458
                  11 179.000 0.414
                  12 179.378 0.378
                  13 179.726 0.348
                  14 180.048 0.322
                  15 180.347 0.300
                  So moving from 2 to 3 in a category gains you the same as moving from 10 to 15. (which is obvious if you think about it; 3/2 == 15/10) Another way to think about it is that in career pitching you're in first in two categories and last in three. In multi+1 scoring that's worse than being in third-from-last in two categories and fourth-from-last in three, whereas in additive you'd be 13 points ahead of that.
                  Last edited by mjl; 12-22-2018, 02:57 AM.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Any chance of starting this draft right after the new year? Are we settled on decades? Who has confirmed?

Comment

In for whatever

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                        In for whatever
                        Cold, expired beefaroni straight from the can it is
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

These things are way more of a time suck for me than I want them to be, but what the heck, count me in for VD 13.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

so will this be decades? Or franchises?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              so will this be decades? Or franchises?
                              Probably decades, the SS is not set up for Franchises. We'll do something with franchises next.

Comment

Confirmed:

Johnny
                                Feral
                                DMT
                                Ken
                                MJL
                                TSG
                                Mookie
                                Hacko
                                Seitzer
                                Frae