No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was talking to a contractor I had out to fix my fence, and was joking about the spare pieces of lumber I have sitting around. The 2 feet of 2x4 that "might be useful somday" or what not. He was telling me about a documentary he watched on Netfilx about simplifying and minimalizing your life. They had a 30 day challenge to get rid of stuff. Day 1 you get rid of 1 thing, day 2, it's two things, etc... for 30 days. Was telling my wife about it and she said we should try 14 days. I fell off around day 8, work got busy or what not, but I'm still trying to throw stuff away. Just threw out a whole container of old phone cords that I had "just in case". I did keep 1 of them for no apparent reason. It's still in it's packaging, and well, if I ever need to plug in a phone (even though I don't have land-line service) I'll be ready.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• one sticking point I had early on was I found some black shoelaces still in their packaging. They were in a container I packed of stuff that was in a junk drawer back east, so I haven't used them in over 10 years. Still, Slasher's words echoed in my head, and I held onto them. I asked my wife, if we had a place for spare shoelaces, where do you think that place would be? She had no idea what the right place to keep spare shoelaces would be.

Comment

• i had a tv in the garage for about 3 years now. Works fine, it just wasn't a smart tv, so we replaced it. But it was a fine working 46inch flat screen tv, and I was sure someone could use it. We did use it when we had the last cat quarantined in the garage for a month, but that was over a year ago.
        You can't donate TVs to goodwill, they don't want them because it is too much trouble to get rid of ones that don't work, so they won't accept them. I was sure it had to be useful to someone. Our town had it's Spring cleanup 2 weeks ago where you can bring large trash and electronics that you can't dump in your trashcan to certain sites and they will take them for you. I brought the TV there and as I was handing it to the guy, with a perfectly functional soundbar, I mentioned it was a great TV that worked fine (working under some dream-delusion that he would then tell me that a 15 year old 46inch TV was all his child wanted for next christmas, and he would save it for them) and I had just had it in my garage in hopes someone could use it... and he replied with "So, some hoarder tendencies? It's good that you're letting it go..." I was devastated.

Comment

• i threw away all those phone cords because I needed the storage bin they were in for other useless cords I think i should keep. There's a watch charger, a blue monitor cord, 2 old apple cords (the ones with the inch wide plug at one end, a very nice HDMI cord that will see some use someday, and a couple of the old MDMI-Mini B cables. None of these will ever be used except maybe the standard HDMI

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            TIL John Cena's grandfather played for the Redsox and Phillies.

Tony Lupien - Wikipedia
            Wasn't he one of the professors in Harry Potter?
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

i threw away all those phone cords because I needed the storage bin they were in for other useless cords I think i should keep. There's a watch charger, a blue monitor cord, 2 old apple cords (the ones with the inch wide plug at one end, a very nice HDMI cord that will see some use someday, and a couple of the old MDMI-Mini B cables. None of these will ever be used except maybe the standard HDMI
              I have a cabinet in the garage that differs from this only in the particular details of the cords.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

He's listening still
                As well he should....

Comment

• I was just trying to type "Brent Suter", and my brain apparently thought it was "Bruce Sutter".

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

I have a cabinet in the garage that differs from this only in the particular details of the cords.
                    I have another bin that has every set of Red-White and blue-green-red cords I have ever received. Someday i might need them, right?

Comment

I have another bin that has every set of Red-White and blue-green-red cords I have ever received. Someday i might need them, right?
                      it probably also has charging or power cables for computers I no longer own

Comment

Let me know if you need another box full of them.

I used to have an old 42 inch RCA TV with the picture tube that weighed about 120 pounds. It was still working after 20 years. When I moved in 2014, I just left it in the house that I rented. I had already upgraded to a flat screen and wasn't even going to bother trying to carry that beast.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

Let me know if you need another box full of them.

I used to have an old 42 inch RCA TV with the picture tube that weighed about 120 pounds. It was still working after 20 years. When I moved in 2014, I just left it in the house that I rented. I had already upgraded to a flat screen and wasn't even going to bother trying to carry that beast.
                          I've got this bad boy in my game room! Along with an 80 inch flat screen

Comment

• sadly, I don't have the vacuum tubes to get it working.

Comment

cripes, not this shit again.
                              Oh yes, this shit again
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X