*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
    And, as is so often the case, clearly no sense of privilege.
    Zero. They think blacks have an equal opportunity to whites in every sense of the word. When I asked one of them, a bond trader on Wall Street, how many black contemporaries he has, he zips up. I asked the same of another, a partner at a law firm, and he zipped up. It's really unbelievable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      The worst thing about it is I'm not really sure where I went wrong. Yes, I can point to some individual mistakes I made. But from a strategy standpoint this draft seems to have gotten away from me, and I'm not really sure how it happened.

I know I wasn't prepared for Johnny's punting strategy to actually work, but that doesn't explain how I'm getting beaten handily by three other teams that aren't punting anything (as far as I can tell).
      You outing my strategy so early (Round 7 or so) didn't help me. Especially with erroneous "he's gonna away with it" hyperbole! I knew my ceiling with this strategy is nowhere near where it is with additive scoring, and the IP limit makes it hard, and technical. So I knew I wasn't running away with anything. But if I respond I draw more attention.

My strategy wasn't just a W/K punt, there was a little more to it than that, and I had to compromise on that when/if people started paying attention to my team.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Zero. They think blacks have an equal opportunity to whites in every sense of the word. When I asked one of them, a bond trader on Wall Street, how many black contemporaries he has, he zips up. I asked the same of another, a partner at a law firm, and he zipped up. It's really unbelievable.
        Don't let them slither way, bring the hammer! They sound like the epitome of white privilege and they'll go on thinking that way until it's destroyed.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          You outing my strategy so early (Round 7 or so) didn't help me. Especially with erroneous "he's gonna away with it" hyperbole! I knew my ceiling with this strategy is nowhere near where it is with additive scoring, and the IP limit makes it hard, and technical. So I knew I wasn't running away with anything. But if I respond I draw more attention.

My strategy wasn't just a W/K punt, there was a little more to it than that, and I had to compromise on that when/if people started paying attention to my team.
          Did u have some strategy this time ? Didnt really notice

Actually i am surprised that people havent done more to attack.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

At least what i think would harm u most wasnt really done.
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              I didn't start that thread, although I have posted in there frequently. I'm having a long-term argument (re: a few weeks) among my college friends in our group chat, half of whom see no issue whatsoever with blackface -- especially from 30+ years ago. And these guys are far from stupid, but as a history major (as well as an African-American studies minor), I frequently feel like they have no sense of American history, let alone civil rights history.
              I sort of see it both ways... people need the room to change because ultimately that's what we want from them. I think a person shouldn't need to be finished after a 30 year old picture comes out, but I think they need to be honest about it.

I was a stupid kid, I did stupid things, I was molded in a culture of privilege that I didn't recognize at the time, one that is still going on today. We need to be doing better, wee need to understand, listen, be allies... etc...

Admitting your own indiscretions without calling out the continuing atmosphere that creates them is useless though.
              Last edited by heyelander; 02-07-2019, 02:55 AM.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Could have been done when I was picking my earlier pitchers. The ceiling for this strategy is lower than KS's winning score in the last draft, so it would have hurt if I lost some of my key SP's. So I had to pick them earlier than I planned, which kinda torpedoed the "clever" part of the strategy.
                Last edited by johnnya24; 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM. Reason: adding .... " "

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Don't let them slither way, bring the hammer! They sound like the epitome of white privilege and they'll go on thinking that way until it's destroyed.
                  Ha. It started as a group chat with 7 of us longtime friends, but my closest friend, a liberal editor for Bloomberg (and formerly the NYT) left the group because he usually went into overload and couldn't take it, lol. So now we have an ultra-righty, a righty, a righty who thinks he's middle of the road, a former righty who's now clearly a middle of the roadie, a lefty, and me, a moderate who's now left. I get ganged up on frequently.

Comment

• Apex Legends looks sick AF for a free to play game!

Comment

• The road is flooded on both sides. Amber and the kids are stuck at her mom's house, as it's still too high for their jeep to get through. I think this means I can get drunk and play video games.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        Could have been done when I was picking my earlier pitchers. The ceiling for this strategy is lower than KS's winning score in the last draft, so it would have hurt if I lost some of my key SP's. So I had to pick them earlier than I planned, which kinda torpedoed the "clever" part of the strategy.
                        My Bender pick was trying to take him from you. I screwed up and somehow let you get Doc White. Thought I had another round of leeway on that one. We still share a bunch of pitching decades but unfortunately there's not much that can be done to hurt you in those.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I am just not smart enough to calculate all the permutations for all the teams. That was a fucking rough choice there.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            I am just not smart enough to calculate all the permutations for all the teams. That was a fucking rough choice there.
                            It's a great pick IMO. Abreu was a strong contender for my last pick if I wasn't worried about DMT taking Cochrane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              My Bender pick was trying to take him from you. I screwed up and somehow let you get Doc White. Thought I had another round of leeway on that one. We still share a bunch of pitching decades but unfortunately there's not much that can be done to hurt you in those.
                              Never targeted Bender. Figured he'd be more premium than i'd be prepared to pay. Doc White has some downside for a normal pitching set up. I had Reulbach as my back up, but not much going after that. Had to jump on Tommy Bond and White a few rounds earlier than I wanted. 1910's were shallow, especially with IP being a value category for me. Had Adams, Bond, White, Leonard targeted as first choice options from the start. Joe Berry was first choice option too, but he depended on my IP count. Face was an either/or preference. The rest is whatever.

My strat was to target players who went undrafted in VD10, well hope they slid more than they should. Couldn't really risk that after all the chatter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                It's a great pick IMO. Abreu was a strong contender for my last pick if I wasn't worried about DMT taking Cochrane.
                                He's been the highest rated player on my board for an awful long time now and his 2000 and, to a lesser degree, 2010 appeal made him risky. Now, whether he was the very best pick for my team at this juncture is certainly up for debate. Things like this make me wonder how the hell Johnny and KS do it. I am Jack's persistent doubt.
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X